XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Pain In The Rear (Seat)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the great tips everyone...I feel a lot better tackling this project now. I have a few off work in Aug and since I'm not going anywhere, I'm going to tinker with a few things.

Jon - do you mind if I ask where you got the speaker repair kit? Also (I know I should probably start a new thread for this but...) how does the 3rd brake light in the window come out? Mine is broken on one side and flops around and I've tried to remove the other side so I can see how it attaches properly, but I can't seem to get it to release and it feels flimsy like it's going to completely break. Are there attachments that glue to the window and the light attaches to those attachments or does the entire thing attach to the window as a whole?

While I have everything apart, I'd love to do the iPod/CD changer mod, but I haven't read much on it...although I do have the entire week off to figure it out....

Thanks!
-Jon

Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah....Speakerworks...Guess I should have read your other post first...

Old 02-15-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone just told me there are 2 fasteners underneath the middle fold down thingy- I would call it by proper name but after 27 years of hurting myself in tight spaces to fix vehicles ( cars) to make a paycheck- quite frankly I do not give a damn- GL anyway

Old 02-16-2015, 07:38 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello everyone

I have read this tread with great interest as I am thinking of replacing both parts of my rear seat due to damage to the leather. Removing the backrest seems to be a task and a half - what's it like to replace it?

I am from the small island that created the beast and we call the bit you sit on the "squab" - just thought I would say...............

Glen.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm still filling in my British-American dictionary. Is the "squab" the place you park your "bum" when you sit down? Does the place you lean your back against have an equally picturesque term? Thanks!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Ah yes, Britain and the United States.
Two nations separated by a common language.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
I'm still filling in my British-American dictionary. Is the "squab" the place you park your "bum" when you sit down? Does the place you lean your back against have an equally picturesque term? Thanks!

1. Yes the "squab" is the place you park your "bum"
2. The bit you lean your back against is generally referred to as a "back rest" about as picturesque as a very un picturesque thing and no doubt the same in US speak.

Glen. (HRH)

Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

So, in these cars, do you have to first remove the "squab" to get at the mounting for the "backrest"? (that's the way it works with most US cars)

Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Guys,

Yes, you remove the squab first, then be sure that all of the retaining screws and hardware are removed from the back rest. Then what you need to do (the manual doesn't tell you this) is eat some spinach, allow it to digest, take a deeeeeep breath, and be prepare for what is likely to be a struggle as you wiggle and LIFT the back rest away from the rear dashboard. I found that it helps if you first angle the back rest out a few inches from the bottom edge (the edge that runs along the rear part of the squab when the squab is in place) before yanking it up and out.

Call me weak, but I couldn't manage to do this task alone. It's not that the back seat is heavy, it's that it rests on some sort of vertical beams, and it seems to get "fused" to those beams over time. A helpful technician at an independent shop was kind enough to lend a muscular pair of arms: He grabbed the passenger side of the back rest while I grabbed the driver's side. We each had one hand on the bottom of the back rest and the other along the out edge. A few coordinated yanks later and the back rest was free!

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Jon500

The following users liked this post:
smtguy (12-08-2016)