XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Parking sensor issue - alternate fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Parking sensor issue - alternate fix

FYI for those of you who have had parking sensor issues. Before you go out and invest in new sensors or module, check the connections... they may just need a little contact-cleaning.

I have a '03 x308 with the familiar 10 second tone on reverse. Got under the bumper (fairly easy to access without jacking, btw) and noticed a lead/connector dangling. Plugged it into the LCtr sensor, and voila!... it fixed nothing. Problem still there. Crestfallen, I put the key into position II (engine off), set the e-brake and put it in reverse. Note, you do not need to have the engine on for the rear sensors to activate, as a matter of fact, I recommend strongly against it (muffler=>hot, car=>move) even with the e-brake well set and wheels chocked.

Center sensors were chirping away, left and right - silent. I reached up around each muffler and compressed the connector and wires tighter against the sensors and the sensors came to life... so I have an electrical connection issue. Given the car is 9yo, not too surprising there is likely some corrosion or lack of 'bite' on the connector. I am working on removing the sensors (reading several posts on the technique) and spending a little quality time with an emery board and needle nose pliers to freshen-up those contacts. I'll post a follow-up with my progress.

The following users liked this post:
tonytft (11-05-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default easiest fix on planet...

So here's the deal... it appears the previous owner had issues with the parking sensors as well. New module in boot, apparently new wiring harness as it was taped down with duct tape behind the latch trim piece (I'll remedy that later).

So I removed one of the troubled sensors (no clicking in reverse). The tabs holding the sensor inside the bumper cover are at 7 and 11 (or 1 and 5 if the connector points left). Using your thumb and index finger, gently spread the tabs and simultaneously (gently) push the face of the sensor from the outside-in (toward the front of the car). Do not pull the sensor from the inside... it will likely break. Once out, disconnect the connector from the sensor and examine the pins (they are very small). If the pins are in good shape, slide the connector back on.

Here's the fix: There's a white, presumably silicon, weather seal in the connector that keeps all the road nastiness from getting in the electrical contact areas. When you press the connector on, you must squeeze HARD to compress that seal so the locking tab catches. In two cases, while squeezing, I even had to push the tab down over the locking 'notch' on the sensor to get it to catch. None of my sensors were properly seated. Once I removed the sensors, re-seated the connectors and pushed them back in place, the system worked perfectly. Do not attempt to seat this connector with the sensor in place, you will break the housing... the sensor must be removed in order to safely seat the connector.

In short, check your connections before investing in any hardware to fix your backup sensors. It is quite possible that one (or all) are not properly seated. Took me 10 minutes to fix. Hope that helps!

The following 3 users liked this post by sitkom:
plums (11-05-2012), Thermite (07-26-2013), tonytft (11-05-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Sitkom, My parking sensors on my 01 XJ8 mysteriously went out after an oil change and state inspection. Getting the tone when I shift into reverse but no chirpling. I think your advice on looking at the connections may be the way to go. I assume your system is the same as mine on the '01 XJ8?

If the connections are all solid, any other advice?

Thanks.

tonytft (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Tony, wrong forum mate, but welcome hopefully a mod will put your post in the X Type forum. TBH it's a common problem and most say if the sensors are all making a noise (i.e. working ultrasonically( then it's usually the little speaker that's blown. You can test the switch with a basic multimeter. Hope this helps

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info. DO you know if it makes a difference if the sensors have been painted over? I discovered my bumper was previously painted and they sprayed over the sensors. I have cleaned and reconnected all four but still no clicks or even a faint sound. I do get a tone from the system the 1st time I put the car in reverse, but that is all
Would appreciate any help.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by allanpaul
Great info. DO you know if it makes a difference if the sensors have been painted over? I discovered my bumper was previously painted and they sprayed over the sensors. I have cleaned and reconnected all four but still no clicks or even a faint sound. I do get a tone from the system the 1st time I put the car in reverse, but that is all
Would appreciate any help.
No, it should not make any difference if the sensor is painted over. the come in black primer and all are eventually painted. I have also learned that even with secure connections, the harness is very fragile and can easily fail after the bumper is damaged. To make matters worse, Jag does not stock the harness anymore, if what I was told was accurate. So I found one in a salvage yard which cost a heck of a lot less and worked fine.

allanpaul (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 01:48 AM

Thanks for the reply, in an earlier thread you talked about hearing a faint click or sound from the sensors. i do not hear anything is this indicative of a broken harness? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...n_question.gif

Old 07-27-2013, 03:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by allanpaul
Thanks for the reply, in an earlier thread you talked about hearing a faint click or sound from the sensors. i do not hear anything is this indicative of a broken harness? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...n_question.gif
Not really.

Can you hear clicking from any sensors?

If not, possible harness or module, unlikely to be all 4 sensors though it is possible.

If you do hear clicking from some, then more likely to be sensor faulty followed by harness.

To prove the harness, move the suspect sensor to one that is working and listen again.

allanpaul (07-28-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 04:15 PM

I have a 2002 S 3.0..the the light in the button won't go off and the sensors are hut and miss....tsup?

Old 01-08-2022, 02:36 PM

Hello all,
i have a 2005 S type, i am not sure what issue i have with my rear parking sensors, i can feel all the sensors ticking while in reverse, i changed the module as well but still i cant get the sensor alert while backing up. Any ideas?
thanks in advance

Old 01-08-2022, 04:09 PM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

You are posting in the wrong forum section.
The S-Type is a totally different car from the X308 sedan range.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You are posting in the wrong forum section.
The S-Type is a totally different car from the X308 sedan range.
I know its a different car but same principle in all Jags. Just thought someone might know.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:26 PM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayounis78
I know its a different car but same principle in all Jags. Just thought someone might know.
The difference is that the X308 and early X100 have a 'STAND-ALONE' reverse parking sensor system.
The S-Type and later Jaguars include the Reverse Parking Aid on the SCP network and the DTCs can be found in the module for diagnosis!!!!!!!!

Interrogate the module for the DTC and it will be faster/cheaper to find the fault.
(let the guessing begin)

Old 01-08-2022, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 822 Posts

I wish I could figure out why my backup system doesn’t work properly. I think it’s because of the aftermarket mufflers that a previous owner had installed and the much larger tips might be picked up by the outer backup sensors. I did *everything* except temporarily remove the mufflers, plug back in the module and try it again.

In the case of the S-Type, besides a visual of the sensors, I’d ohm check each sensor to see if they’re roughly the same resistance. Of course the best case scenario is to have a scan tool and read the codes first. If that’s not available, they don’t appear damaged and they’re plugged in, I’d perform a hard reset and see what happens. It certainly couldn’t hurt anything.