XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

part of the inner sunroof panel came off

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default part of the inner sunroof panel came off

Hello all, for some odd reason the inside headliner panel came off from the rear of the sunroof, I can tilt it but not slide it open. I don't see anything broken and the mechanism is working fine, only the panel is detached from the metal lid. For example if I tilt the sunroof it opens but my headliner stays closed unless I push the panel up with my hands. The only thing I see is 2 metal clips that are not attached to the upper lid but I can't tell where they go into. I was wondering if anyone has a diagram of how the panel is attached to the lid? Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 AM
Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went through this. I don't have a diagram, but i can explain to you what it was.

With the sunroof tilted up, you will see the sliding mechanism (big black rod with plastic clips attached to it). There is one clip with a metal clip that has a spring tensioner. In your case since it is detached and not pulling the interior panel up with the sunroof, it will be sitting flat against the metal exterior sunroof panel. pull this down and fit the little notch back into the clip of the interior panel. Check both sides. Hopefully this helps, not sure how clear i can be without a diagram.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrwithproblems
I just went through this. I don't have a diagram, but i can explain to you what it was.

With the sunroof tilted up, you will see the sliding mechanism (big black rod with plastic clips attached to it). There is one clip with a metal clip that has a spring tensioner. In your case since it is detached and not pulling the interior panel up with the sunroof, it will be sitting flat against the metal exterior sunroof panel. pull this down and fit the little notch back into the clip of the interior panel. Check both sides. Hopefully this helps, not sure how clear i can be without a diagram.
Thanks for your response, however I was unable to figure it out. I don't see what would hold the interior panel to the metal exterior panel. The only thing I see is the 2 metal clips, one the left and the one on the right, but I don't see where the clips would attach to the metal sunroof. Hopefully someone here would have a diagram or an actual picture. Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Be very careful with the sunroof -- you can easily screw it up.

I had this problem with my 1995 VDP when it was new. The sunroof has a bunch of plastic pieces that break and can cause all kinds of problems. This normally happens when the roof is moved into the tilt position. The metal roof is not in the perfect position on the track and when it raises - it breaks the clips

Also, The force of the jammed roof trying to move rearward can bend the track.

I know that a manual is available for the sunroof -- I saw a link to it on one of the forums. This is a common failure for the roof.

Sorry I can not give you a solution -- just don't want you to make it worse before you locate the fix