XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

pasenger door electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pasenger door electrical problem

I just purchased a 2003 XJ8 VDP. It has a "passengers door open" message on the main panel. I have replaced the door latch assy. and still have the same problem. The puddle light is going on and off as the door shuts so I am sure the micro switch in the latch is working. I just discovered that there are two blue wires on the rear plug of the door module that are just hanging there and not connected to anything. Is this the problem? What are they supposed to attach to? Thanks.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

There are two unused blue wires that come from this connector on the passenger door module. The puddle light is driven directly from the module; as is the window motor when using that door's window switches... all else comes from the CAN Bus communication with other modules.

Does the passenger door mirror move properly, and the passenger window operate from the driver's switches? If so, it sounds as if the CAN Bus commands are being received and acted upon... if not, I'd look at the CAN connections at the passenger door module (a blue and yellow wire pair). When the passenger door is locked/unlocked, do the other door's locks operate also? If so, the CAN bus commands are leaving the module and being received elswhere - this is the one I would suspect fails - suggesting, also, that the body module is not receiving data that the passenger door is closed.

There are two wiring diagrams for 2003's - an 03 and an 03.5 - Here is where to find the diagrams - http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm

For the 03, the passenger door module is bottom left of Figure 10.1; for the 03.5 it's center left of Figure 9.1. The difference is, in 03, each door has a processor module, yet in 03.5, there is only one processor module for front doors and one for rear doors - with two door switches connected to each - for this reason, I suspect you have an 03, not 03.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-23-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding to my question. The blue wires were confusing me since someone had stripped the ends and left them bare. I did tape the ends. The window and mirror work from the drivers controls, but the window will not work from its own switch on that door. I was assuming that it was just a bad switch. All of the doors lock and unlock from either front door, but of course when you push the lock down, they automatically unlock since it thinks that door is open. I also discovered that when the headlights are on I get a "check rear lights" message. The lights are working but after looking in the trunk i found that someone has cut harness wires and spliced wires together on both tail light assemblies. And yesterday the check engine light came on and I occasionally get a "check gas cap" message. The cap is tight but I do smell gas on occasion inside the cabin. I checked all around the top of the tank and all lines appear to be ok. Im not sure if any of this is related, but I wanted to relay all information. What do I look at next? Thanks!!