XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Passenger door open!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Passenger door open!

The other night after cleaning the snow off my car I got in to go and noticed the dash says the Passenger Door Open. I was only a few blocks from home and it was snowing pretty bad a real heavy wet snow, so I waited until I got home to check the doors. I opened and closed all 4 drs and the interior light stayed on and the car would not lock. I tried to get the doors to lock and even when I physically locked the the interior lights still stayed on and when I started the car the dash still claims a passenger door is open. I assume water got into one of the switches in one of the doors and froze or is grounding it out but I can't seem to find the switches in the doors. I had to disconnect the battery so I could lock the car up and the interior lights would not kill the battery over night. As soon as the weather gets a bit better I want to go out and see if I can find the problem. Anyone in an area that gets snow like New England ever have this issue? What should I look for? Some where I have a disc with the repair manual and elect diagrams but I can't seem to find it other wise I would not be asking. Three Jags and this has never happened so before I take the car to my mechanic I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Your lights should go off after about a minute, no matter your door status. When I detail my car, I open all four doors for hours and the lights always go off.
You'll probably have to pull the door card and check it out. You could have a loose connection on this module or more likely a wire leading to the latch. Have you tried using a hair dryer on the latch?

The following users liked this post:
johnro6659 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the info and diagram, I haven't tried anything yet. Too busy with my new business and side work. I will try and get to it Friday. The weather hasn't been too co operative either. I did figure the interior lights would go out after a little while but I waited up to 15 minutes and they were still on still couldn't lock the doors. I am hoping sitting a couple days in the sun will defrost it but now I got to get in the trunk to reconnect the battery. If I can't figure it out I'll take it to the mechanic I would have first thing but he's an hour away! LOL He's the only guy I will trust working on my car.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Its not difficult to remove the card, it is a little cumbersome, but not difficult. I've fixed one of my locking issues by simply disconnecting and reconnecting the terminals on the DDM. Other folks here would also recommend simply disconnecting the battery for a period to clear it, so reconnecting the battery may clear it as long as you've had it off.

johnro6659 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 AM

I am hoping it's something simple sounds like it. I had this Jag 2 years and never had a single issue, my others several years with noting but an alternator go bad and or course regular maintenance. These are solid cars! The weather was so bad the other day I figure water snow or ice got into one of the door latches or the switch making the car think a door is open. The plows were pushing nothing but slush and the side of my car was covered in it. I normally have a garage I can use but in the winter the guy who owns it stores his cars there and he won't move them out in the bad weather.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

My XJR did that a couple of months ago. It was after it had not been started for over 2 weeks (very rare but we were out of town). It was also a rainy day. I put a full charge on the battery and it has not done it since. I guess it could have been moisture that dried on its own during the time it took me to charge the Battery. I guess I really can't know which thing fixed it!

johnro6659 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanks guys for the suggestions, Had the free time this morning, hooked up the battery box got the trunk open and hooked the battery back up problem gone! Had to be ice in one of the door locks cleaned them out with elect pasts cleaner and going to grab some white grease to lube them up. Nice to have my baby up and running and it didn't cost me! Always a plus!

Last edited by johnro6659; 02-17-2017 at 10:39 AM.