XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Passenger door open warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passenger door open warning

I have spent hours researching this issue on this forum with no luck with my problem. A while back I thought I had fixed this by replacing my front passenger door latch and the battery but shortly after the problem returned.

My problem first started with the lock not being able to push down. (This was an issue that the new latch corrected) Then the passenger warning light would come on with the interior lights randomly turning on and off while driving and also parked with the ignition off. This problem has not been fixed with a new latch (ebay) and battery.

I have read some posts with this issue and tried to look at the micro switch in the passenger door. I tested the switch with a meter in the old latch and it is dead. I tested the switch in the new latch and it works. So the problem must be in another door? I have swapped door modules in the front doors as well with no luck.

Wouldn't pulling each plug from the door latches one at a time and jumping the pins for the micro switch work to test the micro switches?

Hoping that someone on here who has been successful testing or fixing this problem can help!

Thanks!
Chris

Old 08-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

I would think pulling the plug would work jus fine to test 'em.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM

I have pulled the panels off both rear doors and pulled the plugs apart. I have a meter on the pins for the microswitch and appears the right rear passenger switch is dead.

Wouldn't leaving the plug disconnected get rid of the passenger door warning since it leaves the circuit open?

I didn't test the driver door. I think that sends a different warning.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:57 PM

Holy $#&@!!!! I fixed it.

I can't believe how much time I have put into this on and off for the last few months.

My driver door latch BOTH rear doors had bad micro switches...Seriously!?!

All is working fine now, I feel like crying lol. Anyway I went the Radio Shack route and soldered the switches in and tied them with cable as someone on here has done. Cost me $10 plus the $30 I spent on ebay for the front passenger latch a few months ago and this job is finally done. To think this would have been $1600 in door latches at the dealer. Hopefully these switches last a while.

Hopefully this helps someone if they run across this problem in the future.

A word of advice....If you have this problem, pull the door panel off and pull the latch plug off to test it. Use a multimeter and test the green and black cables while you manually open and close the door latch. You can tell if you have a bad switch prior to dismantling the door latch which is not a fun job but gets easier with practice.

A lot of info in this link below.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oswitch-68735/

Thanks!
Chris

Old 12-18-2014, 10:43 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Got the same problem which started a couple days ago after a big rainstorm. Passenger door open warning was on when I was driving off in the morning. Stopped and thought a door wasn't closed all the way. It turned out they were shut. My wife opened and shut her door and the warning went out. Hmmm... 10 minutes later while driving, it came back on. Wife opened and slammed door shut and it went out. Today, I was waiting inside my car with door locked, 5 minutes later the alarm went off and passenger door warning was on. Looks like I will need to clean out the microswitch this weekend. I took apart the doors and latch several times before and it will take me 10 minutes to get the latch out. I will keep you posted on what I find out. It appears door hardware is the weak link to Jags....