XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Passenger side rear brake light not working, already replaced bulb

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SLM 2600HB 008 Issues

Originally Posted by jackshaheen
If any of you guys have this problem and you are sure its your module AND you don't feel comfortable soldering a new chip on the board then if you will pay shipping both ways and for the part(s) I will fix it for nothing or maybe a small fee (more likely nothing - kinda fun to do since all we do now as techs is module swap).

Cheers
Jack,

I have the same problem as everyone else on the LNG 2600HB with the right tail lights out. My mechanic jumpered from the Left tail light which after 6 months took out the left chip as well. Are you still willing to repair these modules for those of us who are not real competent with a sodier Iron. Let me know

Thanks for the information already posted it helped alot and look forward to hearing from you on the possibility of getting it repaired.

Best Regards,

Mike

The following users liked this post:
micalsjag (01-06-2011)
Old 09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack,

This is the needle in the haystack I have been looking for!! I finally know what is causing the same brake light issues that everyone on this thread has experienced. There is no power for me coming to the lamp module so it must be the SLCM. I think I have found a place where I can get the components that you mentioned you replaced.

Are you still able to help us long-suffering "Check Rear Lights" people inept at circuit board repairs? If not, do you think that if I took this to an electronics repair shop, with the information on this thread, that they would be able to repair it with ease?

I am so excited about possibly getting this fixed in the near future, I have had this light issue on for 1.5 years now.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so thankful to have found this thread!! Pretty much all of my questions have been answered and I know how I can fix my faulty right hand brake light without spending $1000 on a new SLCM!! I am going to take it out in the near future, purchase the needed components (BTS409L1 from Digi-Key), and either send the SLCM to Jack, find a place that will repair it or learn how to do so myself.

My question is, is there anything in particular that I should be aware of when removing this module? I am thinking that I should probably disconnect my batter but aside from that is there anything else that is mandatory when proceeding with the removal of the SLCM?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post already and to anyone who is able to assist me, much appreciated!!

Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are you still willing to repair this module

Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

yes I can fix your module
Send private mail request

Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by cschaul
Jack,

This is the needle in the haystack I have been looking for!! I finally know what is causing the same brake light issues that everyone on this thread has experienced. There is no power for me coming to the lamp module so it must be the SLCM. I think I have found a place where I can get the components that you mentioned you replaced.

Are you still able to help us long-suffering "Check Rear Lights" people inept at circuit board repairs? If not, do you think that if I took this to an electronics repair shop, with the information on this thread, that they would be able to repair it with ease?

I am so excited about possibly getting this fixed in the near future, I have had this light issue on for 1.5 years now.
Sure I can fix it for you.
send private email.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by cschaul
I am so thankful to have found this thread!! Pretty much all of my questions have been answered and I know how I can fix my faulty right hand brake light without spending $1000 on a new SLCM!! I am going to take it out in the near future, purchase the needed components (BTS409L1 from Digi-Key), and either send the SLCM to Jack, find a place that will repair it or learn how to do so myself.

My question is, is there anything in particular that I should be aware of when removing this module? I am thinking that I should probably disconnect my batter but aside from that is there anything else that is mandatory when proceeding with the removal of the SLCM?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post already and to anyone who is able to assist me, much appreciated!!
I pulled mine with the battery connected. No problem just have the key off.

Wyldman (03-15-2023)
Old 09-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Jack,

Can I get in line to get mine repaired also? I have right and left burned out.

Mike

Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by AZvandenplas
Jack,

Can I get in line to get mine repaired also? I have right and left burned out.

Mike
Sure Mike. Just send me PM

Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Great explanation, martino- It is is also worth noting that the components changed between 1998 and 2002, I do not know when, but I have been in my 98 and 02 modules. The later board looks the same externally, but uses smaller chips on the board.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nuge0123
I have a similar problem, but sounds like the same solution would work for me as well... my passenger brake light decided to stay on...?!?!?! I just took it to a dealer. He charged me $59.95 for diagnostics and he told me it would cost me $829.00 just for the SLCM and I can't get a sticker until it's fixed. I'm not mechanically inclined and would be happy to purchase the parts if I could get Jack to provide me some help... I LOVE the car, but it cost a lot to keep it running. It's my dream car and I'd like to keep... just lost my job a few weeks back and can't justify paying so much for the repairs... and I don't want to sell it (actually can't until I fix the lights). I'm willing to call or chat directly.

Thanks for your anticipated help...!
Mark
Just wanted to send and extra THANK YOU to Jack...I had the same issue and it provided pictures and details to fix the problem...and truat me I was lost. But very happy to say I no longer have that "Cheack Rear Lights" anymore...and yes the lights work too...THANKS JACK.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

JUST WANTED TO TELL EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. If you isolated the issue as Jack talked about. His resolution is correct. I'm a beginner but with his help I was able to fix it!!! THANKS JACK.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default slcm problems

Has anyone that has replaced that chip had any problems with the slcm? I mean that the car won't start or have you had the module re-programmed?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Default RE: 2003 XJR Bad Security and Locking Control Module and Passenger Door Microswitch?

I just bought a 2003 XJR. It seems to run well but there are a few issues that I’d like some advice on.

These are the problems:

Passenger Door Ajar message on 98% of the time
Interior lights stay on too long (recently stayed on while I drove 20 miles)
Only the driver’s door puddle light goes on when the door is opened (opening the other doors doesn’t turn on the puddle light or interior lights)
Stuck in Valet Mode
The key remote doesn’t work (replaced the remote battery and tried to program with no luck)
Car locks and unlocks and runs with the key. I also need to use the key to unlock the trunk (I only received one black key and remote with the car)
Only the high mounted brake light works (L and R brake lights and reverse lights do not work)

There’s lots of good information on this forum and from what I’ve read I suspect the car has one or more bad door latch microswitches and a bad Security and Locking Control Module. The tail lamp bulbs and sockets all seem to be good. I checked the fuses under the hood and in the trunk visually and with my multimeter. I visually checked the fuses under both sides of the rear seat. All the fuses appear to be good. I swapped positions on some of identical relays on the \trunk fuse board with no improvement.

I took the car to a trusted local shop. They work on a wide range of cars and they’re honest. They also suspect a door \microswitch and the Security and Locking Control Module and suggested I take it to a Jaguar dealer.

After reading more on this forum about the SLCM I removed the module. By the way, the full VCATS number for the module is LNG2600HB/008. It looked like someone had been here before because the case was partially open. I removed the housing and didn’t see any sign of a component over heating. I’m not an expert with the multimeter but it seems like the three 150 ohm and two 360 ohm are good. I’m not sure how to check the three 71042SE (diodes?) but when I try various test lead positions I get very close readings on all three. Maybe all three are Bad?

Sorry for the length of this posting. I love this car! Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Default Maybe SLCM is OK. Brake and Reverse Lights now work

Since I didn’t find anything wrong with the SLCM I put it back together hoping I’d at least be able to drive it to the Jaguar dealer for further diagnosis. I used some Precision Electronics Cleaner I picked up from Radio Shack on the multipin connectors, relay sockets, and rear light plugs. I was pleasantly surprised that my brake, and reverse lights now work. Also it’s no longer in Valet Mode and I can use the interior button and trunk lid push to open the trunk!

Guess I should have checked the basic stuff first. I hope to do some more basic contact cleaning tomorrow.

jimlombardi (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JaguarJohn I have the same problem you did. How did you use the Precision Electronics Cleaner? What did you clean and how did you do it? I have no experience with electronics. Any help will be appreciated!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack are you still available? I have the same SLCM problem but my model is LJA1970AC/ XXXX would the same fix apply? My 2005 XKR rear lights and backup lights don't work. The car came with the Arden dual taillights. One red. one white.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by brucebaner1
JaguarJohn I have the same problem you did. How did you use the Precision Electronics Cleaner? What did you clean and how did you do it? I have no experience with electronics. Any help will be appreciated!
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I sprayed the Precision Electronics Cleaner (from Radio Shack) on the security module contacts and the 2 plug in connectors while the module was out. Again I'm not an expert with a multi meter, but I had the security module out to check it internally, so it was easy to spray the contacts then. You may be able to unplug the connectors and bend the extension straw on the contact cleaner enough to spray the contacts with the module in place.

There's another module that's about a third the size of the security module, located vertically and about 3 inches closer to the trunk lid. Since it was convenient I unplug the 2 smaller plugs and sprayed those contacts too.

I'm not sure which module had the dirty contacts but after plugging everything back in, the tail light mounted brake lights, reverse lights, back up alarm, remote and push button trunk lid release all started to work.

Hope this helps with your car.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Forgot to mention... While I was in the trunk I removed the 6 or 7 tan cube shaped relays and sprayed contact cleaner on the relay pins and socket contacts. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Passenger side rear brake light not working, already replaced bulb