XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Passenger side rear brake light not working, already replaced bulb

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Brake Light

I am having the same problem everyone else is. I have access to a parts car that has not been picked over. Assuming that the SLCM..SCLM ...or whatever, is still on the parts car.....2001 jag xj8 just like mine would it be likely that I could get it from the parts car and replace mine with it and fix the problem......specifically is this a part, unlike a muffler...that can be put on used....

As you can tell....auto repair is not my bag...I just want to get this taken care of without spending a grand for a brake light.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread but I was searching for just this issue and wanted to post my solution. My SLCM output for the right brake light is bad. I may eventually repair it but in the meantime I simply sliced my orange w/yellow trace wire going to the right side brake light bulb to the orange wire at the trailer connector. The trailer connector is in the trunk fuse box and the brake light wiring runs right past the fuse box. The orange wire in the trailer connector is directly from the third brake light relay. I cut loose the wire going back to the SLCM just because I did not want to back feed it in case it might have unintended results. I expected to still have a lamp failure message but that even went away. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe all I lost was the lamp monitoring on the right stop lamp by doing this. Maybe I won't even bother to repair the SLCM

Old 11-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edit: I do still have the lamp out warning, which makes sense. Still this was a cheap easy fix and I can repair the SLCM module output at my leisure.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read through this thread with great interest as my RH Brakelight was also not working. Before I saw this thread I picked up from another site that it was something to do with the Security Module so I proceeded to do my own work around which involved looping from the LH working brakelight, in addition I wired another temporary lamp from the feed from the security module and down to the car chassis to disable the "check rear lights" message, it has worked for about 2 months until I discovered this thread. Due to the warning from Jackshaheen about overheating etc. I have disconnected the loop between the brakelights and wired from the center brakelight to the faulty RH brake light and everything seems to be working. I hope that the center breaklight does not use a security module but one thing I noticed was that the wiring to the center breaklight is about 4 times the gauge of the brake breaklights.
As I live in Tenerife I cannot get my Security module fixed as it would mean sending the unit to the UK and losing the use of my car for quite a while. Unfortunately I am unable to solder a printed circuit board due to an illness which causes my hands to shake too much.

Regards,

Dave

Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by davecabezo
As I live in Tenerife I cannot get my Security module fixed as it would mean sending the unit to the UK and losing the use of my car for quite a while. Unfortunately I am unable to solder a printed circuit board due to an illness which causes my hands to shake too much.
Maybe a local television repair shop could help out, or a ham radio hobbyist.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 AM

Hi Plums
I've spread the word but still awaiting a response. I don't want to just call on spec because if the damage the unit then I'm stuck. I'm hoping that someone will be able to post an image of the BTS409L1 chip as I've managed to source a supply but when I asked the question if it was used in a jaguar control unit they said possibly but could I supply them with an image of the chip just to be certain. Hope someone on the forum has such an image just to save me stripping down my own unit in case I cause any further damage.

Regards,

Dave

Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bts409l1

Originally Posted by davecabezo
Hi Plums
I've spread the word but still awaiting a response. I don't want to just call on spec because if the damage the unit then I'm stuck. I'm hoping that someone will be able to post an image of the BTS409L1 chip as I've managed to source a supply but when I asked the question if it was used in a jaguar control unit they said possibly but could I supply them with an image of the chip just to be certain. Hope someone on the forum has such an image just to save me stripping down my own unit in case I cause any further damage.

Regards,

Dave
Dave, that is the correct part number however they can come in three different package styles (standard, straight leads and SMD).
You want the one in the SMD package style.

Hope that helps you

Jack

Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

@ Dave, have a look in the spare wheel well and surrounding area for the car's vcats list, post the SLM part number, might be able to help out with another one. What year's the car?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 01-14-2012, 03:30 AM

Hi Sean,

The car is November 2001 Sovereign and the SLM No is LNG2600JC/001

Kind Regards,

Dave

Old 10-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Hi Jack-
New to the forum- trying to figure out how to send you a private message- Are you still fixing SCMs?
thanks

Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Does this fix only the brake-light issue or other issues with the module too?

I have the brake-light issue that comes and goes but at the same time mine also discharges the battery and once in a while the led next to the shifter will not go off.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by jackshaheen
If any of you guys have this problem and you are sure its your module AND you don't feel comfortable soldering a new chip on the board then if you will pay shipping both ways and for the part(s) I will fix it for nothing or maybe a small fee (more likely nothing - kinda fun to do since all we do now as techs is module swap).

Cheers
Jack
will you still do this? Please send me your email and address and I will send it to you with a check.
Thanks
Lionel

Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by allycom
Jack
will you still do this? Please send me your email and address and I will send it to you with a check.
Thanks
Lionel
Sent you a PM

Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 AM

Hey Jack, I have the same problem. Can I send my module to you? I tried to find where to pm you but I don't see it. Also, how long does it take? My Jag is my only transportation so maybe i'd have to take the cab to work or something until it's finished. Thnx in advance!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Default It depends. I only know about XJ8 modules

Originally Posted by George Harris
Hey Jack, I have the same problem. Can I send my module to you? I tried to find where to pm you but I don't see it. Also, how long does it take? My Jag is my only transportation so maybe i'd have to take the cab to work or something until it's finished. Thnx in advance!
If you have an XJ8 around the 2001 year then yes I can fix it.
I no longer have my XJ8 but do have some parts to repair these modules.
If this is not an XJ8 then I would not be willing to fix your module.
The modules may be different. I have no idea what they put in every model Jag they made.
They also may be the same. I would have to take a look at your module.

Last edited by jackshaheen; 06-25-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM

If you have an XJ8 around the 2001 year then yes I can fix it.
I no longer have my XJ8 but do have some parts to repair these modules.
If this is not an XJ8 then I would not be willing to fix your module.
The modules may be different. I have no idea what they put in every model Jag they made.
Forgot to answer you question. It will all depend on how you ship it to me and what you want to pay for return shipping. I can repair the module in one day. So ship it to me, I get it on say Monday. I fix it Monday and ship it back to you Monday

Is your problem one brake light always on or always off? Need more info...

Last edited by jackshaheen; 06-25-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Default Brake Light

Forgot to answer you question. It will all depend on how you ship it to me and what you want to pay for return shipping. I can repair the module in one day. So ship it to me, I get it on say Monday. I fix it Monday and ship it back to you Monday

Is your problem one brake light always on or always off? Need more info...
Yea, my passenger side brake light is off and not working at all. I put a new bulb in it and nothing. I also used the bulb from the left side and nothing happened. So I decided it might be a fuse or something until I saw this forum. However, mine is an S-Type and not the XJ. If you find out more info about the module in my version, plz let me know!

Old 06-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by George Harris
Yea, my passenger side brake light is off and not working at all. I put a new bulb in it and nothing. I also used the bulb from the left side and nothing happened. So I decided it might be a fuse or something until I saw this forum. However, mine is an S-Type and not the XJ. If you find out more info about the module in my version, plz let me know!

Not sure about the module the S type had in it but it could be the same or similarly designed module. Where is your module mounted? In the trunk? Can you get a number off of it?
And MAYBE take it apart to take a picture of the circuit board.

Last edited by jackshaheen; 06-28-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 AM

JackShaheen, same problem here but for the second time... I already swapped out my SLCM with one from a wrecker and now that one is failing. Can you please repair my original aka "spare" SLCM?

Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by mikeup
JackShaheen, same problem here but for the second time... I already swapped out my SLCM with one from a wrecker and now that one is failing. Can you please repair my original aka "spare" SLCM?
Yes I can fix your module. Send me a PM

The following users liked this post:
mikeup (07-18-2013)

Quick Reply: Passenger side rear brake light not working, already replaced bulb