XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

passenger window rocker switch 2002 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default passenger window rocker switch 2002 XJ8

I'm hoping that someone who knows will tell me that I can pop the front passenger window switch out without removing the door panel. It got wet and I'm hoping I can just clean it like I did long ago on similar switches in a series 1 XJ6. Light works and fuse is good- window operates perfectly from master driver's switch.

Can I safely work this switch out or if I try that way will I really screw up its mount in burl?

The following users liked this post:
odds (01-21-2013)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

As far as I'm aware the switch doesn't just pop out from the top-it's secured under the trim piece so the door trim will need to come off to remove the handle with the switch panel on.

You've got 2 options:

1) Press the switch in each direction & dab a piece of tissue paper into the gaps to soak up the water

2) Remove the door trim panel-it's actually quite easy & I've had all mine off.

Use a tiny screwdriver to pop out the small round black cover behind the metal door handle, then remove the screw & main plastic cup piece. Remove the other screw from under the main door grip. Slide a taped screwdriver under the rear of the long thin upper trim piece & lever the back up to release the 2 tangs, then slide the trim piece backwards towards the rear of the door to release it. Then using a taped screwdriver again between the metal door frame & door panel, work around the door panel & 'pop' out all the plastic fasteners.

Then finally, grab the door trim & give it a sharp pull forwards to release the big metal tang behind from it's plastic clip, then slide the door panel up & out-removing the electrical leads. If this won't work or you're afraid of snapping the door panel, lie underneath the panel & pull it away from the door slightly. Shine a torch up into the gap until you can see the big metal tang-then use a long taped screwdrived & push the tang upwards. It will 'drag' the plastic retainer up out of it's slot & come away with the door panel. Then you can squeeze the metal tang together with pliers away from the door & safely remove the big plastic clip without breaking anything.

Once you've done it a few times, it's really easy & fast-I can get the door panel off in a couple of minutes now

The following 2 users liked this post by Red October:
Maninahat98 (08-20-2013), odds (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that post Red October.

My passenger side window 'rocker' switch also doesn't work even though I CAN control the window from the driver's door window controls. Does this mean that the passenger side switch is the problem or should I also check the fuses? I am new to this, bear with me.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

From the circuit diagrams, the passenger window motor is controlled by the Passenger Door Control Module, so this must be receiving power if the window works using the drivers side switch pack.

The drivers side switch pack will instruct the Driver Door Control Module to activate whichever window is selected from the switches. The signals to activate the other windows are sent along the SCP bus to the individual modules in each door.

So the SCP bus connection must be ok if you can activate the passenger window from the driver's side switch pack. Also, the motor & door module seem to be ok as well as the window will open.

It sounds like the passenger window switch pack has failed-or the connections to it have failed in some way.

There is also a common fuse which supplies the window switch pack for both the front & rear passenger doors, so if the rear passenger window works fine from it's window switch pack, then the fuse must be ok & I'd suspect the front passenger door window switch pack-or the connections going to it.

If the rear passenger door window switch also won't work the rear passenger door window, then the fuse has probably blown-it's fuse number 8 in the RH rear heelboard fuse box & is a 5amp device. The rear heelboard covers are under the front of the rear seat base & can be removed by carefully prising out the central fastener, then pulling the heelboards out from the bottom edge.

The following users liked this post:
odds (01-22-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red October
From the circuit diagrams, the passenger window motor is controlled by the Passenger Door Control Module, so this must be receiving power if the window works using the drivers side switch pack.

The drivers side switch pack will instruct the Driver Door Control Module to activate whichever window is selected from the switches. The signals to activate the other windows are sent along the SCP bus to the individual modules in each door.

So the SCP bus connection must be ok if you can activate the passenger window from the driver's side switch pack. Also, the motor & door module seem to be ok as well as the window will open.

It sounds like the passenger window switch pack has failed-or the connections to it have failed in some way.

There is also a common fuse which supplies the window switch pack for both the front & rear passenger doors, so if the rear passenger window works fine from it's window switch pack, then the fuse must be ok & I'd suspect the front passenger door window switch pack-or the connections going to it.

If the rear passenger door window switch also won't work the rear passenger door window, then the fuse has probably blown-it's fuse number 8 in the RH rear heelboard fuse box & is a 5amp device. The rear heelboard covers are under the front of the rear seat base & can be removed by carefully prising out the central fastener, then pulling the heelboards out from the bottom edge.
Hi Red October,

Is the easiest way to access the 'passenger door window switch pack' by removing the panels on the door as described in your reply to the OP's post?

Thanks,

Matt