XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

The perils of owning an outside cat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,023 Likes on 741 Posts
Default The perils of owning an outside cat.

Was abroad for a few weeks returned to my beloved "Jaggy-O" that looked to be coated in a florescent green & grey dried film. It had apparently been super rainy w/ mixed precipitation in the frigid temps,next day it was a record Feb. high of 87° FH which was enough to trick the coastal NC trees to release their bounties AKA pollen. It also baked my pollen,water spot stew into a heinous shell.

I keep my car very clean & always thoroughly waxed w/ the hearty Collinite 845. I arrived @ dusk so I figured a quick blast w/ the house hose would suffice until I could properly detail it in the morning light. The damn shell would not budge in fact it became worse with the hose water as the water spots multiplied lol. So I broke my cardinal rule by scurrying to a touch-less car wash down the street @ 9 pm.

Here's where more fun starts, as I'm in the car wash when the high pressure water passes the roof my sunroof streams water from both back corners ?! It's never leaked w/ the hose washes/residential water pressure. I double checked to ensure it was completely sealed & it was. Anyone know where to check or is just high pressure water blasts too much for these cars ?! First time I've ever used one w/ this car.

The car wash did not remove the film so I had to get my ever trusty bucket loaded w/ my homemade rinseless wash/detail spray & hand wash by the glow of a streetlight in my cul-de-sac.It made easy work of the film but I wanted to ensure it was back to her former glory so I had to scout my city for best lit parking lot lol. 'Twas an adventure in the name of a clean Jag.

This is the catalyst to make me clean out my garage & bring the ole' girl indoors lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-04-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
This is the catalyst to make me clean out my garage & bring the ole' girl indoors lol.
Or at the very least invest in a good car cover until you can get that garage cleaned out.

Sorry to hear this KC, I see a lot of gentle care and elbow grease in your near future.

CK

Old 03-05-2021, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

The streaming sunroof during the high pressure rinse is also worrying me.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
The streaming sunroof during the high pressure rinse is also worrying me.
Yes, understandably so. Strange that all the high pressure home washes and Nature's rain didn't find a sunroof leak, and yet the car wash did. Is there a chance that it happened to be cracked open a smidgen? Or maybe the car wash just happened to find the exact angle to penetrate a weak spot. I guess a seal inspection is in order.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Yes, understandably so. Strange that all the high pressure home washes and Nature's rain didn't find a sunroof leak, and yet the car wash did. Is there a chance that it happened to be cracked open a smidgen? Or maybe the car wash just happened to find the exact angle to penetrate a weak spot. I guess a seal inspection is in order.
It appeared completely sealed, but it was indeed low lighting. Yes very odd as it's never leaked before but this is also the first automatic wash during my tenure. I'm going to thoroughly detail & inspect it very soon.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:30 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Pollen in the south is unavoidable. Even if you garage your car you will get a light coat just driving around. I would make sure your sunroof drain hoses aren't clogged (one at each corner) and that the rear trim piece that diverts water isn't cracked. My dad had this issue with his XJ and all the things I mentioned were fine. It turned out to be the sunroof seal itself, although designed to let some water pass it had dried up and began to pull away from the panel. New seal and no more issue. Although since you checked the seal its a mystery if the rest is fine. Your carwash may just have unusually high water pressure.

Last edited by anduha; 03-06-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by anduha
Pollen in the south is unavoidable. Even if you garage your car you will get a light coat just driving around. I would make sure your sunroof drain hoses aren't clogged (one at each corner) and that the rear trim piece that diverts water isn't cracked. My dad had this issue with his XJ and all the things I mentioned were fine. It turned out to be the sunroof seal itself, although designed to let some water pass it had dried up and began to pull away from the panel. New seal and no more issue. Although since you checked the seal its a mystery if the rest is fine. Your carwash may just have unusually high water pressure.
Yeah sounds like my hoses for sure because it streamed from both corners, nowhere else.