XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Pics with wheels and front lip

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

And being the "Granite State" the ground doesn't absorb much of the sound bouncing off the hills......but I love me a good tunnel too

Old 06-04-2016, 05:37 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds fantastic dude!! So you just ran a plain 2.25" exhaust from the cats back to a set of Magnaflows?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:33 PM

Thanks much appreciated! In person its is even better I can assure you. The exact specs on the exhaust are as follows. Stock manifolds, gutted cats (hahahi-flo) via previous owner and i've kept 'em for now, 2.25'' pipe throughout, x pipe 24" back from the "cats" (I did the paint the pipe and let it heat up, where the paint does not burn off is where the x-pipe goes), two magnaflow 10415 round mufflers out back, and finished it off with flo-pro st13c 4" tips.

I have tried to make time to make proper downpipes a couple of times since gutted cats aren't really my style, but it just seems like every time I try to make a set something else pops up that needs attention, seems about right

BTW The PO sold me the car stating that the car had high flow cats and a performance exhaust. I inherited gutted cats and the "performance exhaust" was multiple slits cut throughout an oem exhaust with an angle grinder. If you saw the condition of the car when I purchased you wouldn't have expected any less/more!
Off subject, took this once in a lifetime photo op at a show today while stuck in the "import" section and neighbored a Porsche 356 and an '90 LS powered 300zx, what a Motley Crew

Last edited by greverrr; 06-04-2016 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Add pic
The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 10:04 PM

Stuff like that is what makes buying a used car so much fun

So what was done to keep you from throwing a code with no cats? Computer fiddled with by someone?

Old 06-04-2016, 10:55 PM

Hahaha at least its overall condition provided me with a not-so-clean slate that I would never feel bad modding in whatever way I pleased Car never threw a code with gutted cats, I initially thought because of the O2 bung spacers that were placed by the PO. I no longer run O2 spacers, still with no codes, beautiful fuel trims, and no other complications......that I know of

Old 07-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I had these made - 285/35X18" I could not get a business card in there when the suspension is compressed

I opted for the rounded corners - I have stainless headers and these remove all of the latent heat from the engine compartment - I like yours also

Johnny_B (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Very nice dc.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:22 AM

Your car looks great and I like those wheels, they have a little bit of E46 M3ish to them, a style wheel which I like a lot. I believe the business card can barely fit, I had to start rolling and cutting the lips with the previous 285/35-19s on 19x9.5 25et.

They should have put hood vents on all supercharged V8 Jags IMO, and not for looks. When driving my dads '02 XKR and sitting at stops I could see heat radiating out of the vents, that was a good enough sign to me to cut a couple holes, not that I have a hard time rationalizing the use of an angle grinder

My vents are placed more frontal and marginally larger so the front right vent can be dual purposed to ventilate and feed fresh air to the air filter. I run a Filterwears pre-filter just in case of rain.

Do you have any pics of the headers? I would love to see what they look like

Old 07-03-2016, 05:05 AM

I am uncertain if there is any Hp or torque improvement, but it has to improve the rear cyls on the left bank which fire one after the other.

The following 2 users liked this post by dc4prez:
Johnny_B (07-03-2016), Panthro (10-20-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 05:13 AM

We don't have emission testing in Queensland (Australia) so I have done away with the cats and continued that 3" collector to the gearbox cross-member then it reduces to
2-1/2" quicksilver system, but the rest of the vehicle is modified
The DVD navigator was the ultimate nightmare - definitely not for the faint hearted

Johnny_B (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 05:23 AM

Then came the engine - blew it up with twinscrew blower - Abaco MAF was not tuneable on this vehicle - so It has had its US$50,000.00 rebuild - Studs, not bolts, New cams, valve springs and flowed heads, bigger intercooler heat exchanger and pump - redesigned fuel system (Nissan Injectors) and adjustable regulator, 82mm throttle body with a cold induction - timing chains were specially made - triple drilled so they don't stretch. Aftermarket ECU (infinity) And on And on 2 years and 3 months in the making. Like Avos I think I am around 550Kw - I'll finish bug swatting over the next week or so then send it to the dyno - Cheers

Old 07-03-2016, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,794 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Wow, that's some serious work dc, ...did you make that head unit fascia? I know what your saying about a nightmare to install a system like that, I was going to put in a Pioneer. After weighing the work and my available time, I opted for a single din unit.
As for your engine mods, how did you manage to come up with such a Frankenstein setup? I can see the Nissan injectors, but how did you figure an Infinity ECU would work? You certainly have put some time into her.

Last edited by Highhorse; 07-03-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Johnny_B (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by dc4prez

I am uncertain if there is any Hp or torque improvement, but it has to improve the rear cyls on the left bank which fire one after the other.
Any plans to make more of those?

Old 07-03-2016, 07:41 PM

Fine work Sir! You've def put in your share of time, research, design, and $$
Please let us know how the dyno turns out, I would love to hear how it results!

Old 07-04-2016, 03:57 AM

Yes and thanks - the console is a piece of 3mm Alloy shaped and bent - there's another post I did when I'd finished it. I only did it because I was told over and over that it was not possible, I needed to cut so much out of vents and dash steelwork I virtually reconstructed the dash -- I think I would find another option for next time -(as if that will ever happen) the alloy is wrapped with carbon wrap for cars. It looks like factory fitted and I am quite proud of it.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:23 AM

Ecu - I am sorry if I have hijacked the original train of your thread.
Infinity - tried and proven, it is the only one in the world that I could track down that was fitted to a Jaguar and was working and not throwing codes.
The Australian made unit (Link4) is actually technically better in a lot of ways, BUT there are none of them fitted to Jag anywhere in the world.
Firstly you need to talk to Graham Woods at Badcat Upgrades
(he supplied headers too) his car is fitted with one. Mine came as a kit ECU 2 oxy sensors and a MAP sensor, along with some other stuff.

My original MAF stays wired to the car. The original oxy sensors stay wired - and drill 2 more holes in the exhaust for new ones - you cut the ignition coil wires and short circuit them with a 3ohm resistor to each circuit, likewise with the injector circuits.
I have one of those crappy Abaco MAF's that also stays connected - leave the original would be OK also --- Wire in your new MAP and O2 sensors and other components.
You now have control of your fuel and ignition system to connect to the Aftermarket ECU. The car thinks it's still using the factory ECU -
I am pretty happy with what I purchased from Badcat - They put me in contact with a man named Dan - who is a formula 1 electronics engineer who supplied an idiot proof set of pictures and written instructions - He's pretty busy while formula season is on, he's pretty hard to get hold of.
Cheers,
Dave

Johnny_B (07-30-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 04:32 AM

just noticed - Headers were supplied by Badcat US$2,000.00 workmanship is not wonderful, a few hours with a die-grinder cleaned up the inside.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:41 AM

fuel rail mods - I originally melted some pistons and pieces of block due to engine running lean at high RPM after fitting twinscrew kit.
May have been pumps, may have been injectors, both possibilities were addressed.
fuel supply is now 10mm return is still 8mm - BUT it supplies both sides and returns from both sides - Jaguar should have done this from the factory. picture is fitted with Modified 550cc Nissan injectors.
I sort of figured that the pulsations in fuel rail were interfering with pressure/time delivery to the last 2 cylinders in the old system - possibly causing failure.

Last edited by dc4prez; 07-04-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by dc4prez
I am sorry if I have hijacked the original train of your thread.
No worries there! I would change the thread title to, "If you DON'T want to read another thread about the same old never ending typical X308 problems/repairs come in here!" if I could I wish there were more threads started by folks showing off their personal tricks and treats in the X308 forum, but maybe that's just me

Old 07-04-2016, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

So this all of a sudden became a whole other kind of thread ... beautiful work Sir.
I am sure Greverrr is not sleeping at night from now on .

Johnny_B (07-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Pics with wheels and front lip