XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Playing possum

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017 | 03:56 PM
ckj
|
Default Playing possum

Periodically, my 1999 XJ8 appears to be dead. Dead like there is no battery in the car. It seems to happen after I open a door or the trunk lid. Then, after a few minutes, or days, it lights up all of a sudden and works just fine.
Is there something in the car that, for whatever reason, disconnects the battery, and then resets after a while? This is the most annoying problem. I never know if the car is going to work.

Old 10-01-2017 | 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Howdy ckj, welcome to the forums, for your issue check this thread out... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-drain-182813/ ...especially post 13, but also check out the attachments in post 2.
Here's a couple things for you to add to your favorites for most any repair... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource (its also posted in the thread I gave ya) and download the Workshop Manual from this thread... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...al-pdf-183893/

Old 10-03-2017 | 09:54 AM

The crash kill switch sits on the torpedo, far left with a rubber tit on top.. -press it. (trim panel removed on this pic though)

If you have already ruled out the obvious things.. bad battery, connections etc. you should try do do the reset of the "crash kill switch". It is known to cause headace every now and then..

On a LH driver car its located on the passenger side, all the way front, on the torpedos far right. Se piture.. its the thingie with the black rubber tit on top.. press it a few times and see if tings work better..

/E

Last edited by Einhead; 10-04-2017 at 03:33 AM. Reason: wrong side mentioned.