XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Plea for parts forwarding help from USA to UK.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Plea for parts forwarding help from USA to UK.

Hi all,

Short story: I ordered a windshield surround panel from a supplier there in the states as there are none here in the UK at around $200 + $200 international shipping. After 6 weeks of trying to get hold of the guy, filing a Paypal claim and getting generally p*ssed off thinking i'd been conned, the guy has finally responded saying he's having trouble shipping it because of it's size...

Firstly, if I was having trouble with shipping, i'd have the decency to let the customer know and not just leave them hanging for 6 WEEKS and repeatedly ignore their emails and (expensive) long-distance calls.
Secondly, the guy went away and got a shipping price before i paid, so must have checked the size...

But, whatever...

Anyway, my car is toast without this panel! I am now desperate as the old (rusty) one has been stripped off the car so i MUST get this replacement one. I probably have to find an alternative way of shipping it if the dealer can't sort it out soon.

Is there a good samaritan out there i can ask to help? (The dealer is in MA, i assume the panel is too), I'd like to get the panel shipped to someone there in the US who can cut it up for me, wrap it and ship it over to the UK. I can arrange the carrier from here, they will collect the package once i get the final measurements.

I only intend to use the bottom half of the panel, so it can be cut halfway down the A-posts and then again in the centre and the two pieces wrapped together. The top half can simply be scrapped or donated to someone that needs it (perhaps a rusty top half).

I would happily return the favour, pay for someone's time, donate to a charity, offer free hospitality on your next UK visit etc... (delete as applicable)

Last edited by JayW; 05-17-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm in Texas. So not really anything I can do. Hope the seller follows through.

The following users liked this post:
JayW (05-17-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Look into freight shipping.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,803 Likes on 1,322 Posts

I wouldn't be to harsh on the dealer to a point. He's in one of the HOT zones for the virus and services may be a bit restricted to the point of not being allowed to travel anywhere. Though yes, he should of been in contact seemingly somehow...no doubt.

I went through this with a member a couple years ago. Just trying to ship a simple rear floor council tray, the price was almost twice the cost of the unit. We worked out another route, relatives visiting the US and taken back with them. But your issue is weight and size and no relatives visiting to take it back.

Just a question, is this your part # ...FNA1114BC

Ok, so onward to a hopeful solution. I've used a service called Delta Dash many times domestically. So I checked international and I used a broad happenstance BOS-LHR (Boston, Mass to London).
Initial site...https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/cat...rates-and-fees
Rate calculator since you know the dimensions and weight...https://www.deltacargo.com/content/c...ff_for_DIM.pdf
COVID-19 shipping report for Germany and England...https://www.deltacargo.com/Cargo/cat...20202/05142020

Last edited by Highhorse; 05-16-2020 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I wouldn't be to harsh on the dealer to a point. He's in one of the HOT zones for the virus.

Just a question, is this your part # ...FNA1114BC
For the first couple of weeks I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, even though his website had a big banner saying "working as normal" (oemvehicleparts.com)

He only replied to the email when I changed the title line to a "sales enquiry", almost like he'd been filtering out my original "International Shipping" title. It was the 6 weeks of silence and denial of having received the several (polite) emails and the voicemails that doesn't sit well. On top of that, he took 2 weeks to respond to a PayPal claim and then only uploaded a USPS tracking number for a parcel that STILL doesn't physically exist more than a week later... It's all a bit fishy. €400 is a lot to lose, but more importantly, my car is a write off without that panel.

Yes, FNA1114BC is the correct p/n. It baffles me that there is supply there but not here in the UK! (well, that's assuming my guy's telling the truth).

​​

Old 05-17-2020, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by King Charles
Look into freight shipping.
That's exactly what i've been doing. Shipping the entire panel is practically impossible ($1200). The problem isn't weight (it weighs very little), it's the size, or more precisely, the volume. But if i can get it cut up it's a doddle!

Old 05-17-2020, 10:30 AM
Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Jay,

I will do it.

Jeff xj8

The following users liked this post:
JayW (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jeff xj8
Jay,

I will do it.

Jeff xj8
That's very kind of you Jeff. Once i see what the deal is with the guy tomorrow (monday) i'll drop you a DM.

Very, VERY much appreciated!

Jay.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by JayW
That's very kind of you Jeff. Once i see what the deal is with the guy tomorrow (monday) i'll drop you a DM.

Very, VERY much appreciated!

Jay.
Well, after a lot of wrangling with him about contractual obligations, the dealer has now cut the panel in half and it does indeed appear to be in the USPS system. So, thank you for your offer of help Jeff, but it looks like it won't be needed after all (do let me know if i can ever do a favour in return for your offer).

Still, can't really blame my suspicions, 6 weeks of not contacting me at all (whether he received my emails/VM's or not). Can't say i'd recommend their service, but all's well that (hopefully) ends well!