XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Please help me protect my delicate hiney. Spare key question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Please help me protect my delicate hiney. Spare key question

Hi,

I just bought ( a few minutes ago wooo hoooo ) a 2002 XJ8. It only came with one key. I want to buy a second/spare key and remote. I found a NIB OEM remote off ebay for $28. instead of the $220+170 programing the Dealer wanted (that didn't even come with a small tube of lubricant!)

Where should I buy a spare key and where can I get whatever programming i need to make it work at a reasonable price? I live in the San Francisco Bay area.

Thank you in advance

Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Congratulations!

A fob off eBay is a standard solution. Just make sure that the codes on the back of a fob that works match those of the new one. There were two or more for each year. If you do not have a fob that works you will need to have a dealer identify the part number that will work with your VIN.

The key is a different situation. Only the dealer, or a very high end locksmith has the capability to produce a replacement key. Key is a mere $100, programming is whatever the market will bear, perhaps twice that. Perhaps in SF you can find a locksmith equipped to cut and program a key as a competitive alternative to the dealer.

I have never understood previous owner's interest in collecting keys and fobs. Perhaps the number of hands these cars pass through from lease to auction has something to do with that.

The following users liked this post:
Newby (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fob as mentioned above was my solution. The I went on craigslist and searched auto parts and sub on keys and or remotes. Alocksmith in a small town between Salem and Portland did it $75 program and cut.. Just a hint.
Good Luck.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fyrplg
The fob as mentioned above was my solution. The I went on craigslist and searched auto parts and sub on keys and or remotes. Alocksmith in a small town between Salem and Portland did it $75 program and cut.. Just a hint.
Good Luck.
But don't they need the car to program the key??

Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Newby
But don't they need the car to program the key??
PM me. I work in Walnut Creek and can program a new key or remote to your car with my WDS (the older Jag computer- but works on 2002s). I've got a post around here somewhere with the guys in South San Francisco who sell keys for decent price (~75 per key).

You can program a remote separately without the computer- you just need to search the archives here and find out what combo of key turning and switch flipping puts the car in learn mode. I bought two remotes on ebay for something ridiculous like around 35 bucks.

At over $300 for cut and programmed key at the dealers around here, I'm happy to help a fellow list member out. Welcome- there's an absolute ton of great info here.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Crispy
PM me. I work in Walnut Creek and can program a new key or remote to your car with my WDS (the older Jag computer- but works on 2002s). I've got a post around here somewhere with the guys in South San Francisco who sell keys for decent price (~75 per key).

You can program a remote separately without the computer- you just need to search the archives here and find out what combo of key turning and switch flipping puts the car in learn mode. I bought two remotes on ebay for something ridiculous like around 35 bucks.

At over $300 for cut and programmed key at the dealers around here, I'm happy to help a fellow list member out. Welcome- there's an absolute ton of great info here.
PM sent

This is why I love these forums. Hopefully I can be as helpful to others on this forum in the near future

Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what town?? Im in Canby

Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
I have never understood previous owner's interest in collecting keys and fobs. Perhaps the number of hands these cars pass through from lease to auction has something to do with that.
Yes it does. A frequent seller of remotes on ebay recounted how he buys them for about $10 from auction houses and dealers. So ... for the sake of $10 pocket money, the next owner gets hosed.

Since the fobs are usually on the ring, the keys probably just go along for the ride. Then again, maybe dealers hold out on a key in case they have to do a repo.

It would happen a lot less if buyers wised up and insisted on being supplied with the correct number of keys and fobs.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

The remotes are no deal, but the cost of a duplicate ignition key is astonishing. My XJ8 came with one key, and it cost me $300 to get another. It would cost that much again for a valet key, so I will do without.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

I meant, "no big deal." Remotes are available inexpensively online, and not too hard to program by yourself.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default key fob instructions in attached jpeg

Heres how i programmed my new FOB

Attached Thumbnails Please help me protect my delicate hiney. Spare key question-keyfob_instructions.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Google Triple C Jaguar. They can dup the key

Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
The remotes are no deal, but the cost of a duplicate ignition key is astonishing. My XJ8 came with one key, and it cost me $300 to get another. It would cost that much again for a valet key, so I will do without.
This is precisely why I got a used WDS. The cost of one key covered the equipment on Craigslist. It took some doing to update the software to Jag, but I was left with a fully functional Jag computer to do my own diagnostics for the cost of one key. I was recently throwing codes on gear 3-4 shifting during heavy acceleration, which was fixed with a transmission module update. Super nice (and cheap) to be able to do that myself.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Default Remote programming

Here is an easy way to program your remote, I did this successfully the first time!

Here's all you do...

1) Open your driver's door
2) Sit down and admire your amazingly beautiful car, then pull the highbeam stalk back and hold it.
3) Insert key... turn to first position. (On mine, there seemed to be a position before position #1. It moved only a tiny bit. That one didn't work. Need to move it more for position #1.)
4) Release high beam stalk. Then pull stalk to you and release 4 more times. You'll either hear a chime (I didn't) or see a little red light near your gear selector light up
5) Press the lock button on your remote one time.

Done!

Get out and close door and try remote. Should work: lock, unlock, trunk, lights

The following users liked this post:
Mexk8 (01-10-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Default Programming fob

Ok...I have at least 5 different instructions for programming the fob for my 1998 Jag XJ8. They are all very, very similar, with few changes. I can get my car to the "learning" stage (red light on console lights, & a beep sounds, telling me all is well with the car...now program!!).

But I cannot get the fob to activate anything, nor does any beep sound nor does the red light come on. And...nothing works. This is my second fob, as they said I had the wrong one, & we checked & ordered the one that was supposed to be for my car.

Oh...the batteries are brand new, & I have cleaned the contacts inside.

Any help or suggestions?? Thanks...Bob

Old 02-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The instructions I used required that the Security and Locking Control Module (SLCM) receive 5 signals. With one fob press any key 5 times, with 2, some on each totaling 5. Turn ignition off.

Many auto parts stores have a fob testing device that will confirm that a signal is being transmitted. It will not tell you that it is a correct signal only that there is one.

Did a dealer provide the part number? What number? Perhaps some of the board members can post their '98 fob part numbers for verification that you have the right one. There are probably only 2 for that year.

Beyond an incorrect part number and a non transmitting fob since you obviously have gotten to 'learning mode', the SLCM may be faulty.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM

I wasn't aware of the "5 chrip" rule and made the mistake of trying to program 2 fobs, one at a time....didn't work. That just wipes out the fob you aren't programming. After three tries I got it right by programming both fobs at the same time. At this point make sure to remove the key from the ignition, make sure the car is in Park, and give all fobs a try, everything should work. The only unknown is the replacement fob you have, maybe it still isn't the right one?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timmey
what town?? Im in Canby
Sorry I didn't get back with an answer earlier, but is south of the 1st traffic light on the east side of 99. in a little strip mall. Can't remember name of Lock Smith. SOS Locksmith Find on Google Search.

Last edited by Fyrplg; 02-10-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: found name