XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Please tell me everything will be fine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me everything will be fine!!!

Hey guys I am a brand new owner of a 2002 xj8....I am very worried that I have made a mistake in purchasing this car. First off I blame myself my wife just had to have the car shes always loved the looks of the Jags and I will admit I have to very classy cars. Well let me first start by telling you that the mosy concerning thing to me is there is a loud clunk in the front end every time I hit a bump it sounds like the front end is going to fall out and I mean small bumps...The second thing is when I left the car dealer I jumped on the throttle and it through the CEL then a restricted performance light came on and it started to jump erratically but then stopped well needless to say I hauled butt back and said what gives???? The guy then responds that these are luxary cars you cant just "jump" on them???? Come on you have got to be kidding me a car that has 290hp and you cant jump on it? What about when I need to pass someone in a tight spot i have to ease into that situation? the third is the sun roof is stuck in a 1/4 up position and the inside cover looks like it is missing one piece??? Please tell me that these are minor fixes or maybe just comon problems that some of you have had. Oh and by the way the car only has 69000 miles on it so how bad could it be?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Welcome to the forums JSjag. Browse the xj forums for some more help in diagnosing what MIGHT have caused your check engine and restricted performance. The mass air flow sensor has been the cause of many lights, either dirty or no longer operating correctly. Since your light was only temporary, I cant make an educated guess at all. You could get the codes read (and quickly, as the more successful drive cycles that pass, the more likely the code will clear on its own). Even a short light will store a code in the computer. The jaguar dealer is the best place to ready these codes.

Now, for your clunking, that is likely very worn bushings. Take your car to a good, trusted mechanic, and he should be able to find which ones are gone. Most likely, a 7 year old car will have a few that have dried up, cracked and are causing the metal on metal sounds you are experiencing. I changed all of my bushings, including upper and lower control arm, and the lower shock bushings for around $800. A good mechanic may be able to diagnose one set, and thus may only cost you a few hundred in repairs. Or worse, it could be ball joints, or better...tie rod ends. Lots of little joints and such in the front suspension that could be causing this.

Does the 02 XJ8 have an air suspension system? Often times, these small air pumps fail, and if there's no air...no dampening is taking place. Clunk away...

I would recommend calling around to find a shop that has some experience workign on british cars, theres some specialty things (like the air suspension) that every independent shop would not know about.

luck to you!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes, I am guessing you didn't take a thorough test drive before you signed the deal?

Do you have any pictures of the sunroof problem?

This sounds like a used car dealer that has no scruples, which honestly isn't that surprising. I believe that none of the states in the USA (guessing you're in the USA) have a "cooling off period" so you are basically stuck with the car unless you could prove that they were dishonest in their representation of the car. The CEL and he clunk are the things that would most concern me, time to find a good jag dealer or an indy to help you.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Clunk, on this car, usually the upper shock mounts and or the center sway bar rubber bushings. To isolate the sway bar bushings. While driving across a parking lot, rock the steering wheel back and forth to do the same to the car.if you hear the knock then its the bushings. Not expensive and easy to replace. The upper shock bushings are the ones you look at in the engine compartment that the shocks stems come up through. If theyre deterioted and ide be surprised if not then call ken at motorcars. (site sponsor) and get their kit. It works well and is cheap too, you have to have a press to do it. But is alot cheaper than the part from jaguar cause theyre only availble as the whole assembly, metal mount and all. And cannot get on a jaguar, give me a break. I can drift a jaguar through a u turn. Ask the saleperson or whomever told you that to go look at the new 510 horsepower xfr or xkr or soon to be release '10 xj. A then get a clue to what "todays" luxury cars are all about. You need a code, could be something simple like a brake switch, or expensive like a throttle body...likly quess would be the mass air flow sensor or deteriorated bellows on the air intake tube causing a lean engine condition

Old 10-07-2009, 01:49 PM

Ok to answer the question about the test drive...I did the ultimate no no I drove it with the windows down and the salesman chatting his butt off so the "clunk" was not that bad so I thought. Second I am from california and I could have bought the contract cancel option BUT stupid me I didnt fork up the 350.00 to late now. I just got back from the dealers shop and the manager laughed when I told him about the light coming on from steepin on the throttle. I truly feel that I will have a soild car once I fix the problems its just the not knowing that kills me.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM

Ok update here I just got off the phone with the service depatment and the said they fixed the fault code (yeah right) I've been down this road before thats why I purchased a obdII reader long ago I pretty sure its the MAF or a coil just the way it was driving...The main issue the rattle they say they THINK its a shock but they have to get athurization to tear it down so here we go personally I dont think its a shock I think its bushings or ball joints simply because of what you guys are saying by the way thanks for the input it makes me feel a little better.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JSJAG
Ok update here I just got off the phone with the service depatment and the said they fixed the fault code (yeah right) I've been down this road before thats why I purchased a obdII reader long ago I pretty sure its the MAF or a coil just the way it was driving...The main issue the rattle they say they THINK its a shock but they have to get athurization to tear it down so here we go personally I dont think its a shock I think its bushings or ball joints simply because of what you guys are saying by the way thanks for the input it makes me feel a little better.
Don't be so quick to discount what they are saying. When my XJ8 was under warranty I took it in because my Wife was complaining that the front end was making the same noise you're talking about. They replaced both front shocks under warranty and it was fixed. I realize it could be one of many suspension related parts, but it could be that easy. The Restricted Perf and CEL light could have been a quick fix like a new part load breather tube or just cleaning a filthy throttle body. Any air leak after the MAF will cause a lean running condition most likely.

Did you read the codes before you brought it in, or did they tell you what they found?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I too have had a clunk with just Bad Shocks. The rubber mounting bushings sometimes wear to the point of not cushioning. And my restricted performance was a dirty MAF sensor and Throttle Body. Thanks to everyone on this forum for putting my mind at ease when things like this come up. Not to say you will never have an expensive repair, but it sure helps to have backing like these guys.

PS: Pay close attention to Brutal and NorCalDiesel. They are both fantastic for help, along with many others.

Last edited by SuperSport; 10-08-2009 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Props
Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 AM

my 02 XJR had bad front anti roll bar bushes...VERY VERY common...they sound terrible, but it's an easy and inexpensive fix....very easy DIY. My sunroof has the exact same problem...cannot use the tilt feature....also very common issue. Otherwise at 90K my car has been bullet-proof...and is a wonderful drive. It even does 23mpg on the highway! persevere...these cars are amongst the best Jags the factory ever produced IMHO.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 AM

Last night I recived a call from the dealer stating that they have to call the owner of the dealership before they go any further on the repairs. The service department refuses to replace just one shock (which I agree) so the cost to fix this car is getting expenssive for them. The claim they might back out of the deal and give me money back. I should know a answer by noon

Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jsjag
last night i recived a call from the dealer stating that they have to call the owner of the dealership before they go any further on the repairs. The service department refuses to replace just one shock (which i agree) so the cost to fix this car is getting expenssive for them. The claim they might back out of the deal and give me money back. I should know a answer by noon
in the interest of great customer service. I would not let them back out of the deal, (you know they wouldnt have let you if the roles were reversed) just have them fix it, next time maybe they will send it through the shop feirst and fix issues like that or they can eat it again in the future. The only reason they want to back out is cause it wasnt figured in the gross profit. Theyll fix the call now and then sell it to someone else for more than the cost of the repairs. They should have done this to begin with but were either being morons or greedy or both

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
in the interest of great customer service. I would not let them back out of the deal, (you know they wouldnt have let you if the roles were reversed) just have them fix it, next time maybe they will send it through the shop feirst and fix issues like that or they can eat it again in the future. The only reason they want to back out is cause it wasnt figured in the gross profit. Theyll fix the call now and then sell it to someone else for more than the cost of the repairs. They should have done this to begin with but were either being morons or greedy or both
I totally agree in all the above. They just called me and said the code was because it was running rich so they serviced the throttle body and changed the air filter, Does this sound right?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by JSJAG
I totally agree in all the above. They just called me and said the code was because it was running rich so they serviced the throttle body and changed the air filter, Does this sound right?
Yes, a rich or lean running engine will cause a SES and "Restricted Performance" message during the time it is actually running rich. You could ask them for the codes they pulled. Throttle bodies get dirty and fouled, they probably cleaned it. As to whether it was the actual issue, you'll find out shortly.

I also agree with Brutal, try to work with them to get it fixed correctly. In defense of Jag Dealers everywhere, I have had great service from mine when I was using them. If they sold you a used car it should be in acceptable condition since they are a dealer and not a private citizen. You should be able to drive off the lot and punch it without codes and performance issues.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
Clunk, on this car, usually the upper shock mounts and or the center sway bar rubber bushings. To isolate the sway bar bushings. While driving across a parking lot, rock the steering wheel back and forth to do the same to the car.if you hear the knock then its the bushings. Not expensive and easy to replace.
I too have a front-end clunk which is definitely noticable when rocking the steering wheel back and forth at low speeds. A quick inspection of the sway-bar end links reveals that I can wiggle them by hand so I assume that's the problem. Question is, are their other bushings on the sway bar that need attention? Also, when replacing the end-links, is it best to have the car up on stands or ramps so the weight of the car is on it?

Thanks

Old 10-12-2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by shotime
i too have a front-end clunk which is definitely noticable when rocking the steering wheel back and forth at low speeds. A quick inspection of the sway-bar end links reveals that i can wiggle them by hand so i assume that's the problem. Question is, are their other bushings on the sway bar that need attention? Also, when replacing the end-links, is it best to have the car up on stands or ramps so the weight of the car is on it?

Thanks
useally its not the end links but the center rubber bar bushings that hold the bar to the frame. But yes i would just replace them both if youre gonna be under the car. On jack stands will give you more room to work with the end links, but it doesnt matter either way other than that. Install them dry, do not lube them

Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM

I stopped mine "clunking" completely by removing the sway bar bushings, cleaned them up and wrapping the bar itself with a single layer of black plastic insulating tape before re-installing the bushes...that was 12000 miles ago...never a squeak or groan since!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 PM

Ok well I am suppose to get my car tommorow they say they fixed the engine light but we will see...... as for the clunking they claim that the shocks will be here anytime and it will take the a couple of hours to put them on I am hoping ( I know they are hoping because they are paying) that it's fixed (finger crossed) I will keep you posted

Old 10-12-2009, 07:09 PM

Ok I just got off the phone with the shop and they test drove the car and stepped on the gas and BAM threw the CEL again, They saaid they are outting a new MAF on it and checking the throttle body actuator? They code says lean right and lean left banks they supposedly cleaned out the throttle body and it still does this?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 PM

it needs a mass air flow sensor

Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re your sunroof problem... A while back the trim piece (3" wide?) on my roof "dissappeared". It was lodged back under the headliner. Is this your missing piece? I also suspected something was broken or missing from the open/close/tilt mechanism. I can't remember the details but I followed the guide on this forum for replacing the headliner and also visited the local dealer who was kind enough to pull a replacement sunroof assembly from thier inventory for me to look at. I pulled the headliner, renewed the fabric (I used to work at a custom van shop long ago) and reset the mechanism that had slipped out of track or something like that. Been working fine for over a year. No parts were missing. If your roof is stuck open you can slide the trim panel out the top to expose the mechanism better. It has a couple of release tabs similar to drawer slides. I realize this is a bit sketchy, but thought it might help.

Bart
2000 XJ8 130k (with new tensioners as of yesterday!)

Quick Reply: Please tell me everything will be fine!!!