XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Pleasr help! Timing chain job car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pleasr help! Timing chain job car wont start

Hello all I posted on here earlier got some help, but unfortunately none were able to point me in the right direction.

I did head gaskets, and timing chains, tensioners on my 1999 VDP with 94k Miles. everytbing went good, timed the car correctly with the flywheel locking nut, cam flats parallel with head, with locking bars, both!

Put it back together and the car wont start! It cranks and turns but wont start! I already burned out a starter trying, put in another, cranks, no start.

Had it towed over the weekend to a mechnic and he says the timing is off...please help. My mechanic experience is high, with these cars im still learning, but am confident I can tackle it if I get some advice!

Thank you!

-Zander

Old 11-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hook it up to sdd/ids, see what codes it has.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Default I dont have any of that.

I have tools, and thats it. What does your gut say?

Old 11-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Does the engine have compression, fuel and spark?

Is the Crankshaft Position Sensor correctly installed?

Old 11-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Default :)

Compression was not there at first, I followed flooding procedure, and added oil drops down plug wells, took out fuel pump fuse, turned motor a few times got comp back up then added fuel fuse and it started..ran rlly rough for about 5 mins then stalled. this happened last week.

Spark, i havent tested for that yet. plugs were oil washed, put new plugs in..same thing..maybe coil packs? Does it sound like timing you anyone here?

Old 11-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Default Fuel ys

Yes i definitely have fuel pressure going to the rails, had a leak on my fuel regulator valve, next to the Schroeder valve. had to replace o rings. fixed it. Also i get coughing and backfires from intake and trottlebody through intake tube.

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I would recheck the timing.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Default Thats what im leaning to, as well.

Originally Posted by BobRoy
I would recheck the timing.
Yes, my current thoughts too. just womdering if it could be something else? I want to check cams and flats, but if its good...there is no way im stripping it down again to do the entire timing setup. I did it all outside "shade tree mechanic" i dont currently have a garage. winter is too close.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

You should be able to check and readjust timing with only pulling the valve covers, no need to take the whole front off unless there's something wrong with the primaries

Old 11-06-2016, 05:36 PM
Default Thank you sir, makes sense....

Originally Posted by nilanium
You should be able to check and readjust timing with only pulling the valve covers, no need to take the whole front off unless there's something wrong with the primaries
That makes alot of sense to me, and is very straightforward, I agree. Just wondering if how I can retime, if I cant get to sprocket ends? maybe I can wedge the timing tool in there enough to snag a sprocket hole and try that. Any tips are appreciated, Ive timed this car only once..followed the Jag University manual to the "T" and timed it correctly..now, not sure..how could it be off?

Old 11-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ners-how-4747/

4th or 5th pic down shows how you can access the sprocket bolts while the valve covers are off. It's hard to say if anything could have caused the timing to slip, but it's critical enough that double checking would be worth the time.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

I have used a 3/8" hex socket. Put it on a 3/8" breaker bar. Still had to cut part of the hex off to get it in. If you have a welder you can weld the hex socket onto a flat bar.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Default Thank you greatly, gentlemen, I really appreciate the tips and advice.

I am having my VDP towed back my way tomorrow and will have a chance to dig into the valve covers and follow your steps for timing from there. I will keep everyone posted and will let you know what I come up with. Thanks to all, but plz dont leave my thread yet!! lol..I'll still need some input as I go. I appreciate it all greatly. plz stay tuned, and everyone have a wonderful eveni g for now, as I said Ill chime back in tomorrow after I have a look see under there.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

To my mind, if you are backfiring, your timing is off.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Default Thanks all

Had it at a Jag shop for the weekend, said car has no compression, multiple bent valves. Having it towed to a buddys house who has a garage, and rip the motor down again and replace all the valves.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Zander, sorry to hear about that. Some how you must of had the timing off. What I do after I get the chains on and timed I rotate the motor clockwise a couple of revolution s using the carank pulley bolt. Then I reinstall the crank locking tool the cam locking bars should slide over cam flats. If they don't I reset the timing then rotate crank and recheck again.

If this is done and the timing is off like yours was you would feel the valve hit the piston and stop. Then reset timing. The starter has too much cranking power and will bend the valves if timing is off.

You may also have piston damage. You won't know unless you use a scpoe or take the heads back off.

Keep us informed and best of luck.