XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Possibly buying 1999 XJR. Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying 1999 XJR. Tips?

Hi there. I've got a line on a '99 XJR with only 44k miles. She's been well cared for and obviously driven very little. I wasn't really in the market for this car, but the price is quite low (family member deal), and I am tempted.

I currently have a 2008 Saab SportCombi Aero 6-speed, I am quite happy with, but the Jag is simply outrageous and outlandish, so how can I say "no". Plus the wife really likes the car for our once a week date-nights (3 kids at home under 7 years old)!

Anyway...There's really no paperwork coming with the car. And my family has only had the car for a few hundred miles. Is there any well to tell if the chain tensioner work had been done??

What else should I scrutinize before letting my emotions run and purchase this car??

Thanks in advance!
Dave911

Old 03-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Depends on how low the price is - and what kind of obvious shape it's in.

Without paper proof, you'll have to pull the valve covers to determine upper tensioner status - you will also want to look at the thermostat housing and water pump to see if they have been replaced. Luckily, the R has the better transmission of the two and shouldn't be an issue. Also, if the engine has good compression now, then the Nikasil issue also won't be a problem for you.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

The car should be inspected by someone who understands Jaguars - at 44k - it could still have the original water pump and the original tensioners.

It will also have the Nikasil Engine - this should not be an issue at this point if all is well.

A good general inspection for anything loose / rusting / leaking / worn suspension bushing.

The water pump/ tensioners and inspection of all the hoses/ thermostat and coolant must be done - replacing anything that looks to be even marginal -- the engines in these cars are robust but they must not overheat.

The brake fluid should be replaced every two years - and often is not.

If you purchase it I would strongly suggest that you spend the money and have the fluid level checked in the transmission - the MB box will run for many miles but it does not like to be low on fluid. More than likely it will be fine but they can drop some fluid and checking is the only way to be sure.

Last edited by yeldogt; 03-26-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
It will also have the Nikasil Engine.
Unless of course the engine has been replaced... I believe quite a few were replaced under warranty?

Last edited by JKo; 03-26-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,367 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I heard one car had it's engine replaced when it went in for a simple service, and they didn't tell the owner - that has got to be an old wife's tale....

Anyway - the only way to tell if the tensioner work's been done is to remove the cam box covers and have a look.

I agree if it's still got it's original engine (nikasil) and pulls hard it's A'OK. (RE:Bore wear)

Gearbox, just get it serviced at either a Jag indy or Mercedes indy - get the fluid from Mercedes, because Jaguar charge silly money, also filter and pan gasket for a proper job.

The R has a metal thermostat body so no worries of it cracking, the NA cars had plastic items that failed.

As mentioned, the waterpump on the 98/99 had crappy plastic impellers that fell to bits meaning no coolant movement, fit an updated one along with new belts and hoses that look dodgy.

Also listen very carefully at startup cold for any weird engine noises with the bonnet up - when driving listen for any low speed clunks from the front/rear suspension too.

I'm going over what other members have pointed you at, but it's stressing the main points, great cars if these things are addressed, and I mean GREAT.