XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Potential new XJR owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new XJR owner

Hi all,

Jaguar Noob here, looking for guidance on possibly purchasing an x308 xjr for a resto project. I did a bit of reading and found out these has a Mercedes automatic transmission and I guess that's a good thing? Don't know about these cars, and if there is a good thread with this topic already covered, I would appreciate someone posting the link. All I've heard over the years is that these cars are constantly broken money pits, but after looking at one today a bit closer, I want to believe the opposite that these are quality built cars, that don't require much more maintenance that any old euro car, if the owner is on top of things. All input is appreciated. Here's a link to a video on my channel to the one I might pick up, but could pass and wait for one that needs less work:

Old 05-19-2023, 09:29 AM
Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

Depending on prior ownership, it could be a money pit and it could be a great car. Kind of a roll of the dice, really, but there are youtube videos from people who can highlight some common issues to look for, like typical rust areas, engine issues, etc. The stick section of this forum has a really good "How To" with a good general pre-purchase inspection checklist you can go over as well.

Mercedes trans are generally more durable than the ones in the XJ8s, but its a good idea to service it if you don't know when it was last done.

I went through this myself about a year ago, finally settled on a salvage title 01 XJR because the salvage happened so far in the past that I felt anything related to that was well sorted by now and it saved me some dough on the purchase price. Thus far its proven out to be an excellent car, very well put together and very well repaired from the salvage issue. Thus far most things that I've deal with are either maintenance or deferred maintenance issues and the cost of parts (and my own labor) have been basically normal car part pricing. Eventually something expensive and complex will hit me, its a 22 year old high end used English car and I daily drive it year round so its inevitable that this will happen, just a matter of time and miles.

The one in the video above looks not particuarly well cared for, but it also seems to run well enough. Its an older year so it may or may not need timing chains and/or tensioners to be changed out, or it may have had that work done...or it may have had a replacement engine early in life because it had a nikasil cylinder liner failure. Whether you buy it or not is up to you and your analysis of things like up front cost, things that will obviously need attention and your willingness to dig in both financially and with your labor.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Mikejag1 (05-25-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 12:16 PM
Received 195 Likes on 124 Posts

My $0.02 is never a daily driver unless have a backup car and you need to be your own mechanic or it will get real expensive quick. Parts are not much more than your average car. Have you seen in person? No matter price, would not consider unless you or professional inspect. What states was it in? Road salt is killer on any 20+ year old car and especially Jags. My three were Florida cars their entire lives and no rust. Only part with even any surface rust is connector where parking brake splits from one cable to two. Downside of cars from states without road salt is paint can be cooked if parked in sun.
You wrote resto project. You can probably get a very good XJR with maintenance history for $15,000. If you found a project one for half of that and you don't do the work yourself you'll definitely spend more getting it in the same shape. A general rule on retoration is you'll raise the value by the cost of the parts put in but none of the labor. Be most concerned with body and interior. Check out CoPart for clean title (not salvage title) mechanical issues cars with good body and interior. I'm looking for an XJR with a bad engine or tranny since I have a spare of each. Seen plenty of XJ8s with bad trannys on CoPart. This is how I bought my LS project car. ($1400 paid and sold the engine for $1300 and cats for $1100). Not as many XJRs with bad trannys because the Mercedes tranny is toughter than the ZF.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

being a long time owner of 2 X308s almost from the very beginning . I think I have a little qualification to say something here as advice.

near most of everything on my X308 from big to small. everything breaks and wears down. you name it, I either replace ,rebuild, upgrade.

I am sure other brothers/members can give you more detail but I just want to give you a helicopter view what you should expect.

either yourself are or you can find/afford a good mechanic. Some parts are hard to find and/or expensive . some repair jobs complicated = $$$$. you want to be ready for that.

why I still own one ...because it is a freaking cool timeless Jaguar

The following 2 users liked this post by vincent661983:
Jhartz (05-22-2023), motorcarman (05-20-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

you have a b7 audi rs4 in pieces on your channel..if you have one of those i know you can fix a car

you’re already in the major league of eurotrash… a 308 is way easier and cheaper to fix

Last edited by xalty; 05-19-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
you have a b7 audi rs4 in pieces on your channel..if you have one of those i know you can fix a car

you’re already major league of eurotrash… a 308 is way easier and cheaper to fix
major league of eurotrash...lol

Old 05-20-2023, 10:08 AM
Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Agree with all of the previous posts. For the reliability question, my car has been exceptional. In the 19 years that I've owned it, I have had to have it towed three times; once when the fuel pumps failed, once when the MAF sensor failed, and the other was for a flat tire. I have the XJR-100 and didn't have a spare when I got the flat. I have acquired a few extra wheels since the flat experience and now have a spare.

You've come to the right place to find everything you would ever want to know about these cars.

The following 3 users liked this post by hispeed42:
Jhartz (05-22-2023), Mikejag1 (05-25-2023), vincent661983 (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 349 Posts

The X308 is a sophisticated car, meaning it has a little higher level of complexity, and interdependency
than some other cars. Chasing a given DTC or fault can prove daunting at times, but the result is better
knowledge, and confidence in your ability once it is solved. These are cars worth saving, and can provide
owners with incomparable joy and appreciation in ownership. Everything CAN be fixed, (even rust) if your
pockets are deep enough. There is, however, that point where a prospective owner must decide if he is
willing and/or able to accomplish the needed care to bring the car to his own point of satisfaction.

The following 2 users liked this post by RandyS:
Mikejag1 (05-25-2023), vincent661983 (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RandyS
The X308 is a sophisticated car, meaning it has a little higher level of complexity, and interdependency
than some other cars. Chasing a given DTC or fault can prove daunting at times, but the result is better
knowledge, and confidence in your ability once it is solved. These are cars worth saving, and can provide
owners with incomparable joy and appreciation in ownership. Everything CAN be fixed, (even rust) if your
pockets are deep enough. There is, however, that point where a prospective owner must decide if he is
willing and/or able to accomplish the needed care to bring the car to his own point of satisfaction.
owning Jaguar makes me from a boy to a man.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the helpful information
Will post again when I buy one