XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Power tilt steering wheel issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015 | 04:57 PM
|
Default Power tilt steering wheel issue

I've been having this issue since I bought the car, everything about the wheel works fine, however, when I use the switch to adjust it upward I have to keep pressing the switch to go up. And it only moves in small increments. Is this an issue with the motor or something else? Is there any way to check this out and see what would be causing it? Thanks

Old 08-10-2015 | 06:07 PM

I think you described a steering wheel in perfect working order. You must hold the joystick in the direction of steering wheel movement you desire and keep it held to make the wheel keep moving. Try the other directions down, in, out. See if they operate the same way. Once you get it where you want hit memory and then 1 on the drivers door to remember.

Also switch the wheel to auto using a switch on the side of the steering column. Makes getting in and out easy.

Old 08-10-2015 | 06:39 PM
|

Originally Posted by mustangtyson
I think you described a steering wheel in perfect working order. You must hold the joystick in the direction of steering wheel movement you desire and keep it held to make the wheel keep moving. Try the other directions down, in, out. See if they operate the same way. Once you get it where you want hit memory and then 1 on the drivers door to remember.

Also switch the wheel to auto using a switch on the side of the steering column. Makes getting in and out easy.
I may have not described it as well as I should have. The joystick works fine for all directions, I push and hold it and it moves seamlessly, however, when I want to move the wheel up I hold it up, and it only moves a very tiny amount. So, I have to keep pressing it up to make it go up. Ei doesn't do this for any other direction.

Old 08-11-2015 | 07:53 PM
Default i think it is working properly

Hi

The manual for my 1998 XJ8 says that you have to push and release, not push and hold. The wheel moves up by very small increments as you push and release and repeat. And my car in fact works that way. So I don't think "push and hold" will get you anywhere, unfortunately. In sum, your wheel adjustment seems to be working in the manner described in the manual...

Wesley

Old 08-11-2015 | 09:11 PM
|

Originally Posted by wesley
Hi

The manual for my 1998 XJ8 says that you have to push and release, not push and hold. The wheel moves up by very small increments as you push and release and repeat. And my car in fact works that way. So I don't think "push and hold" will get you anywhere, unfortunately. In sum, your wheel adjustment seems to be working in the manner described in the manual...

Wesley
Does yours only adjust UP in small (1/2-1 inch) increments? None of the other directions are like this, ONLY the up position?

Old 08-13-2015 | 09:10 PM

Mine does the same thing in my car; repeatedly having to push the switch, the wheel moves a fraction, release the switch, then do it again continually until the wheel gets into the right position.

An expert () in these cars at a JDCA event I was at during July told me that this is symptomatic of the bands that the motor attaches to the steering column with are too tight. Loosening them a smidge apparently fixes the problem. I've yet to try it, but will soon. When you go to take the bottom cover off the steering wheel shroud you remove the 2 screws then pull the cover toward the drivers seat to release it, apparently (I couldn't get it off the 1st time I tried, but didn't know about the pulling bit....).

Hope this helps.

Lyndon
Sunny, but cold winters day in Sydney

The following users liked this post:
Catenaccio (08-13-2015)
Old 08-17-2015 | 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
Does yours only adjust UP in small (1/2-1 inch) increments? None of the other directions are like this, ONLY the up position?
Sorry to be delayed in getting back to you. The "bumping up in increments" is only needed when moving the steering wheel up. In all other directions the button can be held, and the wheel will continue to move until released..

I looked again in my manual, as I had earlier said the steering wheel adjustment was working properly per manual. Now I can't find anything in the manual about the "bump and adjust" when moving the wheel up. I read it somewhere (here, perhaps)...

Regards!

Wesley

Old 08-17-2015 | 10:53 AM

On mine, whatever the direction, I just have to move the button from its neutral position and the steering column moves smoothly until I release the switch or it reaches the limit of its travel.

Old 08-18-2015 | 09:06 PM
|

Originally Posted by Lyndon1116
Mine does the same thing in my car; repeatedly having to push the switch, the wheel moves a fraction, release the switch, then do it again continually until the wheel gets into the right position.

An expert () in these cars at a JDCA event I was at during July told me that this is symptomatic of the bands that the motor attaches to the steering column with are too tight. Loosening them a smidge apparently fixes the problem. I've yet to try it, but will soon. When you go to take the bottom cover off the steering wheel shroud you remove the 2 screws then pull the cover toward the drivers seat to release it, apparently (I couldn't get it off the 1st time I tried, but didn't know about the pulling bit....).

Hope this helps.

Lyndon
Sunny, but cold winters day in Sydney
When you try this, you should upload some photos, I'd love to see what it looks like in there, but first I have to get it running proper again. haha