XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Problems: 2002 XJ Sport, Sunroof/ Aerial

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Problems: 2002 XJ Sport, Sunroof/ Aerial

Hi, I had a couple of things to qask about for my 2002 XJ. It has a 3 foot tall antenna, and I wanted to know a couple things about that. The '03 XK8 has a smooth running antenna, no noise from it, but mine is clunky sounding, despite 6 applications of WD-40. It also was extremely dirty before I cleaned it, and (I know the WD40 does some of this) it keeps getting dirty fast. Also, I don't like the look of it very much- it is so massive, and I never lister to the radio, just tape/CD/Zune. Is there a good way to disable it from the centre console? I would perhaps like to figure out what's wrong with it and an easy way to get that stupidly tall antenna to stop spoiling the styling. Also, The car is fitted with a sunroof, and when it opens upwards to vent, it leaves the right side of the headliner behind with it, and it just sort of hangs instead of going up. I can't find what's disattached, cause only one side hangs down. Sorry to post a novel. Thanks, Ian

Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My 03 doesn't go up when the cd player is on. It is completely silent. Might want to pick one up off of flebay. It is easy as anything to replace. Took me 10 minutes at most. Very good access behind the panel. I paid $55 shipped for my used one.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome Ian!

If you do not use/need your antenna you can simply unplug the electrical connector on the antenna body. Therefore remove the soft inner trunk cover on the right side and you'll have full access to the antenna. I attached a picture of the right trunk side with the panel removed. You can clearly see the antenna and the white electrical connector.

Another solution is to replace the aerial mast of the antenna with a new one. They usually sell for about 20$. Clean everything inside and change the old mast with the new one. After doing so the antenna should work in complete silence..

Your problem with the sunroof is a bit more complicated.

There is an arrangement of rods and lever arms inside the sunroof on both sides. One of the levers is supposed to
1. hold the rear piece of the headliner to the sunroof sliding mechanism and
2. is used to raise/lift the front part of the headliner when the sunroof is tilted.

It's a common fault that these levers break on one side or simply get unhooked and fall of. So it happens exactly what you described.
Sometimes when the sunroof was fully opened (not only tilted) and is closed again the rear part of the headliner is missing completely.
This is when both levers break or get unhooked and the rear part stays stuck and hidden somewhere inside the roof.

I attached three pics of the mechanism.
(Left side as it should be, right side with the missing piece.)

On my car I had the missing piece on the right side and I was searching around for nearly 2 month for a replacement part.
Now I hope that I finally found someone who can provide me with a used replacement part.
Problem is that usually the sunroofs are sold as a complete unit and not just the parts.
So it's pretty hard to find a used parts dealer who is willing to take a sunroof apart and just sell one piece of it.

HTH!

Good luck!

David

Last edited by DavidN; 02-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ipc838 (07-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof parts

I am fairly new (low post count) so I do not believe I can post in the classifieds, but I just disassembled, repaired, recovered my sunroof, and had purchased a full sunroof assembly from a salvage yard to obtain the piece I needed. I needed to replace the right (passengers) side slider on the rear panel, and then bend my catilever arms back ito position as they had moved over time. I have the rest of the parts (tray, roof, left side slider, arms, panels, etc) to provide for someone elses use should someone like them. I would be happy to mail everything (or select pieces) out for minimal cost.

** I do hope I am not breaking rules by posting this here, it does however seem that sunroof parts are vastly needed, and are unavailable.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 8,136 Likes on 4,908 Posts

Here is the old tsb for diagnosis

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
501-26 sliding roof.pdf (108.4 KB, 259 views)