XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Project Overboost by B.I. Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

@Bip
The list you mentioned was bigger than only the supercharger kit you want this threat to focus on now, and most where just trying to help out Thunderkitten in that what is on that list is very expensive for what it can bring, but that's assuming that he has some sort of budget limit of course.

@Thundercat,
Within a couple of weeks I can tell what the camshafts could bring, I have the units ready, just the time to fit them is needed. This will also be my last mod for now (but think I thought that before ).
Haven't gone the head porting/valve job way, as that is imho just too expensive for what it can bring, this is assuming you also want a slightly larger valve. Nothing new here bytheway, JE Engineering in the UK is already doing this for example, and any good machine shop should be able to.
So many things are already available, contrary to what you may have believed, but the market is small and tuners also need to make a living.
More plans and ideas, no Yoda here nor ambition to, just an enthusiast wanting the best possible power setup for my car, and enjoying the path to perfection

Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
@Bip
The list you mentioned was bigger than only the supercharger kit you want this threat to focus on now, and most where just trying to help out Thunderkitten in that what is on that list is very expensive for what it can bring, but that's assuming that he has some sort of budget limit of course.

The list has gotten bigger do to the request of the customer and since we have this car we are venturing out and making parts we feel will benefit everyone that has an interest. Cost should'nt be a concern as I said before we will make them cost effeciant and worth the every penny someone spends on our parts.

@Thundercat,
Within a couple of weeks I can tell what the camshafts could bring, I have the units ready, just the time to fit them is needed. This will also be my last mod for now (but think I thought that before ).
Haven't gone the head porting/valve job way, as that is imho just too expensive for what it can bring, this is assuming you also want a slightly larger valve. Nothing new here bytheway, JE Engineering in the UK is already doing this for example, and any good machine shop should be able to.
So many things are already available, contrary to what you may have believed, but the market is small and tuners also need to make a living.
More plans and ideas, no Yoda here nor ambition to, just an enthusiast wanting the best possible power setup for my car, and enjoying the path to perfection

I am sure Thundercat understands all of this but putting your parts info in another vendors thread is uncalled for, we know you have what you have and I am very happy your finally getting these things done but with all do respect please do not post your products in our thread. I want you to continue to post your thoughts and concerns but nothing about your up coming products, thanks very much.

Last edited by B.I.P.; 06-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Our final numbers will tell the tail. Stay tuned everybody.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 1,074 Posts

@BIP I'd like to take the bullet re: Avos' link, I posted it not him, reason being another angle to tuning these motors.

You know what, I'd like to see one of these twin screw equipped engine's mated to a manual gearbox, then the true performance would be unlocked.
Is this a route anyone has attempted?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sean B
@BIP I'd like to take the bullet re: Avos' link, I posted it not him, reason being another angle to tuning these motors.

You know what, I'd like to see one of these twin screw equipped engine's mated to a manual gearbox, then the true performance would be unlocked.
I edited to seperate the two in the last post, he mentioned his cams he is testing soon. Nothing against what you posted Sean B.

Yeah a manual gear box would be nice. But in a 1/4 mile the automatic will do the job and do it well.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

When do you anticipate the "Thunderkitten" will be out tearing up the streets?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by B.I.P.
[color=black][font=Times New Roman]

I am sure Thundercat understands all of this but putting your parts info in another vendors thread is uncalled for, we know you have what you have and I am very happy your finally getting these things done but with all do respect please do not post your products in our thread. I want you to continue to post your thoughts and concerns but nothing about your up coming products, thanks very much.
I welcome with open arms any vendor who offers innovation for our market.

IMHO, though, I think you would be better served considering Avos an extremely knowledgeable enthusiast, who is helping to serve an under-served marketplace. I see him as a potential customer for you, not a competitor !

Old 06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

[COLOR=black][FONT=Times New Roman]

Greg:
Is "your" thread a discussion or is it an advertisement? I, for one, am quite interested in the work you guys are doing and welcome your posts as to the progress BUT if you are going to post commercial endeavors in an enthusiast's discussion forum, I'd say you are subject to contrary posts from all comers. I rather like the competitive banter from the opossing parties. Just my opinion, of course. Good Luck.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
When do you anticipate the "Thunderkitten" will be out tearing up the streets?

I'll be down to see you when its done thats for sure. late summer i'd say given the amount of custom products.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Will that be summer of 2011 ??

Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car has gone 12.77@107... best mph has been 108.6

Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

@Bip
You’re jumping to conclusions; I am NOT making my own Cams, and selling them myself! I have found a company that has the knowledge and capabilities to make these, and no, I have no affiliation with them.

Thundercat asked more or less what I already had/have done, so I summed that one up. All I will do is test this on my own car and report back the results on the forum. Pending the results i'll either recommend it or not to go with the kit (need to say this, as I can't test it anymore on a "normal" car, and there the results could be diffferent again).

Last edited by avos; 06-15-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B

Know almost all RRS tuners; we have one also, so this company is long known to me including their offerings.

Your whish may become true with regards to the TS and manual, I know another enthusiast in the UK is working very hard on this one, mechanically isn't the hard part it seems, but electronically.

Can’t tell the possible gains of course, but as our gearboxes consume more power as they don’t lockup, and also take long in shifting, it should make a considerable difference (if you can shift fast that is).

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1Sick*XJR
my car has gone 12.77@107... best mph has been 108.6

Nice!! I think you're doing pretty well for yourself. What do you have in it for mods?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
Will that be summer of 2011 ??
Yessir it will. and I have a feeling that you won't be "passing me like I was staning still" anymore . Should be fun though.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

@Bip
You’re jumping to conclusions; I am NOT making my own Cams, and selling them myself! I have found a company that has the knowledge and capabilities to make these, and no, I have no affiliation with them.

Thundercat asked more or less what I already had/have done, so I summed that one up. All I will do is test this on my own car and report back the results on the forum. Pending the results i'll either recommend it or not to go with the kit (need to say this, as I can't test it anymore on a "normal" car, and there the results could be diffferent again).
My apologies, I thought they was a product of yours. Lets keep it rolling

Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the car went that it had eurotoys 16# lower pulley,custom x-pipe with magnaflow mufflers and a custom 3.5"intake from the throttle body with a true cold air....i since have added a ported blower and intake when i took the car back with the blower was having problems with the car falling on its face and then taking off only went 12.90s @mid 108s 60' was 2tenths off and 2tenths slower and 1.5mph down in the 1/8. tracked it down to i must have been maxing out the maf. think i have it sorted out now.i will be taking back this fall pretty sure if the front 1/8 is like before car should go 12.40s or 50s.
btw runs were made on bfg drag radials

Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Default Almost done with heads

Hey guys, today we had the chance to get some flow testing done, we are not finished porting the heads or finishing up the valves, but so far gains are awesome. With restrictions of the intake plenum and raiser we are able to gain 22cfm @ .3 lift all the way through .6 lift which is amazing and should net about 2hp per cfm so 40+ hp. Again if the runners didnt put restrictions in place I could get anther 18+ cfm from the heads.

At a later date and another project we might even make new intake plenums to compliment our performance heads. Final results of flow will be posted very soon and hopefully get someone in the test these heads on a stock set up to see dyno results. Anyone interested please contact use.

I see this gain being well worth the money. Some tuning required, more fuel needed for more air flow.

-Tony

Last edited by B.I.P.; 06-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1Sick*XJR
when the car went that it had eurotoys 16# lower pulley,custom x-pipe with magnaflow mufflers and a custom 3.5"intake from the throttle body with a true cold air....i since have added a ported blower and intake when i took the car back with the blower was having problems with the car falling on its face and then taking off only went 12.90s @mid 108s 60' was 2tenths off and 2tenths slower and 1.5mph down in the 1/8. tracked it down to i must have been maxing out the maf. think i have it sorted out now.i will be taking back this fall pretty sure if the front 1/8 is like before car should go 12.40s or 50s.
btw runs were made on bfg drag radials
Hey man I hope you get your issues fixed, Im from Chicago. I love GLD what track do you race at? They have Import Wars once a month you should go and check it out I used to go in my GT28r Audi A4 back in the day and have a good time. Well keep us updated on your results. Good Luck.

-Tony

Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hey guys, today we had the chance to get some flow testing done, we are not finished porting the heads or finishing up the valves, but so far gains are awesome. With restrictions of the intake plenum and raiser we are able to gain 22cfm @ .3 lift all the way through .6 lift which is amazing and should net about 2hp per cfm so 40+ hp. Again if the runners didnt put restrictions in place I could get anther 18+ cfm from the heads.
Don’t get me wrong, it would be great if you could get 40 bhp extra from just porting the heads (than I might even be interested pending price), however it sounds a bit optimistic to me, as there are so many factors that play a role in the end result. I am by no means an expert on head porting let alone on the Jaguar setup, so can’t go into discussion here.

JE Engineering claim to get about 20 bhp more (based on their 450 bhp package for a 4.2 400 bhp engine), and this is also with larger exhaust valve. Here is their quote (especially note the “can yield”):
“extensive cylinder-head modification and alternative valves can yield up to 470 bhp when using JE engine management. Incorporating polished and ported inlet and exhaust, 32.5mm Iconel exhaust valves”
And the link:
http://www.jeengineering.co.uk/range-rover-sport/petrol-engines.html

As porting is around for a long time now, and if 40 bhp would be achievable via porting the heads, I would have thought we would already have heard it in one way or another.

So I guess it all comes down to actual dyno results and the total cost for the work as what has been said before, am looking forward to see any results on this subject.

Quick Reply: Project Overboost by B.I. Performance