XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Project Overboost by B.I. Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So Avos,
Your twin screw kit is Right in the ballpark of $10,000? Why don't you just wait and see what happens when the car is finished. I think BIP will be offering some pretty awesome alternatives to a 10k magic blower. Also we understand how cars work and the importance of airflow. Why don't you knock it off with the negativity and all knowing BS. just wait avos.. Just wait to see what 10k would get you from BIP, it's gonna be a hell of alot more than a blower..

Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,366 Likes on 1,074 Posts

@ TC - Obviously this tune up is close to your heart and the guys over at BIP, so I can understand it's a big issue.
But, work has been done before down this route, the ultimate in road trim can be seen here,
YouTube - ‪Aston Martin AMV8 Brutal acceleration!! Sick sound!!‬‏
the heads on this car along with the tuned manifolds are a very well breathing Jaguar derived engine, not Ford, they merely provided the dollars and best minds under Jaguar management to develop these engines.
Paul Gentilozzi, along with a very own members have looked seriously at gas flow, not just air flow, fuel has to mixed at a precise ratio, cylinder heads, valve timing at it's safe limit etc. How this is achieved is down to what you can develop within the engine's design parameters.
The AJ V8 is a great engine to pick for tuning. It's not been as popular as various Japanese and American units because of the cost.
Just get the hurry up on your lads posting some amazing numbers, and prices for those numbers, maybe one day I'll have an AMV8 with a mild boost T/S charger and custom induction, with a manual gearbox of course (it's my next car)

Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

@TC

Have you actually read and understood my post

You have made your choice for bip, now just be happy with it will you? I really don't understand why you take it all so negative and almost personal.

But as you wish, I am then out of your and bips commercial, which is now more than obvious when you say "we".

Please state in your posts (or add in your sig) if you and bip don’t allow any discussion in your threads, will make it easier, and will stay out.

PS You know very well that I will NOT discuss pricing online for my kit, so trying to discredit me here like this is imo out of line, as you know very well this is not even close to the actual price as I have given you all the information on request in PMs where you asked for this and more...

Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Sounds super. I am in no way trying to discredit you. And it is personal when BIP is working hard to make new parts and find new areas to increase power and all the feedback is about how its all been done before. Look at the mustang market. do you think saleen stopped trying to make new parts or variations on parts because Roush "had already gone down that road"? we know that these things have been tried before such as heads, but is it out of the realm of possibility that another manufacturer/tuner/performance shop can make them better and realize more power? I think so. Everything that is being done is going to be well worth the investment to other Jag owners. In any event lets just all be nice and watch the progress. Also for the record, I asked you about your products before my car was involved with BIP and at that point just getting into Jags. This will be my last post regarding this as we are all Jag owners and ultimately interested in the same thing. POWER!!! Cheers!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
@ TC - Obviously this tune up is close to your heart and the guys over at BIP, so I can understand it's a big issue.
But, work has been done before down this route, the ultimate in road trim can be seen here,
YouTube - ‪Aston Martin AMV8 Brutal acceleration!! Sick sound!!‬‏
the heads on this car along with the tuned manifolds are a very well breathing Jaguar derived engine, not Ford, they merely provided the dollars and best minds under Jaguar management to develop these engines.
Paul Gentilozzi, along with a very own members have looked seriously at gas flow, not just air flow, fuel has to mixed at a precise ratio, cylinder heads, valve timing at it's safe limit etc. How this is achieved is down to what you can develop within the engine's design parameters.
The AJ V8 is a great engine to pick for tuning. It's not been as popular as various Japanese and American units because of the cost.
Just get the hurry up on your lads posting some amazing numbers, and prices for those numbers, maybe one day I'll have an AMV8 with a mild boost T/S charger and custom induction, with a manual gearbox of course (it's my next car)

THAT IS SICK!!!! will post as we get closer. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundercat
.. Just wait to see what 10k would get you from BIP, it's gonna be a hell of alot more than a blower..
I sure hope so, since his kit is much less than 10K.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Received 295 Likes on 163 Posts

What's your target peak cylinder pressure? the Aj27 S/C was designed to run 85 bar peak cylinder pressure and I was able to run it at around 100 bar for short periods on the dyno. If youo intend to run above the design peak cylinder pressure I would look into cylinder head gaskets. Alot can be done with the cams. Overlap was limited on the SC applications (the AJ27 S/C runs 240 period intake timed as 125 MOP (max opening point) and the exhaust is 230 period timed at 115 MOP). The aim was to minimise overlap to minimise blow through into the exhaust. I would look into incorporating the new style cam ramps of the later Gen 2 Jag V8- as the old cam ramps were too conservative and we saw big gains with the newer ramps. There is SOME potential in the heads, but as stated, they're small. The Aston Martin V8 Vantage prototypes used ported and modified AJ27 cylinder heads initially although the AJ33 heads have more metal to fettle.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
What's your target peak cylinder pressure? the Aj27 S/C was designed to run 85 bar peak cylinder pressure and I was able to run it at around 100 bar for short periods on the dyno. If youo intend to run above the design peak cylinder pressure I would look into cylinder head gaskets. Alot can be done with the cams. Overlap was limited on the SC applications (the AJ27 S/C runs 240 period intake timed as 125 MOP (max opening point) and the exhaust is 230 period timed at 115 MOP). The aim was to minimise overlap to minimise blow through into the exhaust. I would look into incorporating the new style cam ramps of the later Gen 2 Jag V8- as the old cam ramps were too conservative and we saw big gains with the newer ramps. There is SOME potential in the heads, but as stated, they're small. The Aston Martin V8 Vantage prototypes used ported and modified AJ27 cylinder heads initially although the AJ33 heads have more metal to fettle.
Supercharger is being swapped out. no more eaton. Still playing around with the cam config. looks like you had some good gains though. do you have any dyno sheets? Did you put the car on the track? I'd love to see what it did after all that. Cheers.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 295 Likes on 163 Posts

Supercharger is being swapped out. no more eaton. Still playing around with the cam config. looks like you had some good gains though. do you have any dyno sheets? Did you put the car on the track? I'd love to see what it did after all that. Cheers.
No I have no "dyno sheets" because all the work was done on engine dynos on prototype AJV8s at Whitley in Coventry, at Jaguars engineering centre about 11-12 years ago! We even tried Turbo chargers.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
No I have no "dyno sheets" because all the work was done on engine dynos on prototype AJV8s at Whitley in Coventry, at Jaguars engineering centre about 11-12 years ago! We even tried Turbo chargers.
Thats pretty neat!! This little adventure should be alot of fun! The more i learn about these cars the more I want to make a MONSTER. Cheers!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 PM

also why the "quotation Marks" next to dyno? mine "Dyno'd" 380 RWHP on a Dynojet and 340 on the dyno-dynamics. i know its all relative and of course all dynos are different. What did the one you tested put out at the crank?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

TC, the "Count" was a genuine development engineer for Jaguar on these engines - he was not just another tuner looking into personal gains, the guy was developing the AJ engines for market, I mean world wide production. There is nobody that understands these engines as well as this guy on here, or indeed anywhere I know of. He's the real deal. Just don't upset him, he's a valued member of this forum! I'm sure he'll help with advice. As I understand it, Jaguar use their own dyno's, they won't be something a shop can buy, far, far more comprehensive in their data acquisition and power handling.

The following users liked this post:
Count Iblis (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 AM

TC, the "Count" was a genuine development engineer for Jaguar on these engines - he was not just another tuner looking into personal gains, the guy was developing the AJ engines for market, I mean world wide production. There is nobody that understands these engines as well as this guy on here, or indeed anywhere I know of. He's the real deal. Just don't upset him, he's a valued member of this forum! I'm sure he'll help with advice. As I understand it, Jaguar use their own dyno's, they won't be something a shop can buy, far, far more comprehensive in their data acquisition and power handling.

I was unaware of that. It sounds like he did some pretty cool stuff. the turbo thing is interesting. I was just curious to see what the outcome was thats all. i guess you answered that question because the outcome is the engine in our cars. pretty cool stuff. not trying to upset anyone. cheers.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

+1......Count's insight into these engines is fascinating. I always read his posts because his has information that you would never be able to find online. His development background is very unique for a forum. Jag-lovers has a former jag engineer but he was involved with the X300 6 cylinder engine program.

The following users liked this post:
Count Iblis (06-29-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Update!!!

Good morning all, sorry for the delay on an update I have been on vacation and catching up with everything going on over here has been a riot.

Ok, Heads are done and I am in the mix of getting some cams done. This will be offered as a package very soon, so whats included you ask.

-Custom ported heads if I get enough requests for this they will be CNC'd
-New Springs
-Custom grind cams with a core charge so you can save some money
-Valve Job, valve stem seals, spring shims
-Ported stubs and intake
-Head resurfacing.

Projected retail price range $4500 usd but may change
Estimated crank HP gain, anywhere between 40hp to 80hp conservative.

I am in the process to get a test car that has lesser mods then the car im working with, so if anyone is intersted, please contact us via PM or tony@buckhead-imports.com great deals for test car.

Alright so things are rolling along with this build, waiting on some forged pistons to come in, but heads are done and the cams are about to go through some grinding and once I get things back here in the shop ill be looking at late August to wrap this project up for those that are asking.

I really cant wait for this project to finish up, I am sure Thundercat cant wait.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks the update Greg/Tony, can I ask about the forged pistons, the original are Mahle forged, pretty decent to begin with, what's different with the new ones?
Also, are you using the original con rods?

With the head work, are the springs heavier or standard, and the cam profiles, are they longer duration and by how much?

I'm doing an engine rebuild for my car with an eye on upping the performance, I'd be into sending you a pair of heads, but I'm in the UK so it's just not feasible. Any info appreciated on the above questions.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks the update Greg/Tony, can I ask about the forged pistons, the original are Mahle forged, pretty decent to begin with, what's different with the new ones?

With the head work, are the springs heavier or standard, and the cam profiles, are they longer duration and by how much?

I'm doing an engine rebuild for my car with an eye on upping the performance, I'd be into sending you a pair of heads, but I'm in the UK so it's just not feasible. Any info appreciated on the above questions.
Hello Sean, Yes you are correct with Thundercats build I decided to go with a half point lower on compression with coated skirts for heat consumption and its a better forgeing with much better rings. Connecting rods will stay stock, they should be pleanty good for what we are doing.

Yes springs are heavier and will stand the lift that we will provide with the new cam grind and will not allow the valves to float. And yes intake and exhaust cams will have 10* of duration added. Thats top seceret info im giving away

Well I wish you were closer so you can test out these heads, I am sure we have very knowledgable people on the boards but im seeing whats going on and there are lots of room in these heads for improvement and ive taken the chance to prove this, unless the dyno tells me something else. .

Hope I have answered your questions if you have more just ask.

-Tony

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM

Are you rebuilding the whole motor? what are the plans? how many miles on yours? love to see some pics!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 PM

I wanna see these heads on a stock XJR to see what they do. It's gonna be a good boost i'm sure

Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Are you rebuilding the whole motor? what are the plans? how many miles on yours? love to see some pics!
I've rebuilt the whole car, not just the engine, into a brand spanking new bodyshell. It'll be the best on the planet, no idle boast.

Here's some, engine block cleaned, liners re-surfaced (our way, no material removed, just good hatching), new o.e.m mains and big end bearings, (very expensive from Jaguar) new high performance rings and springs. Heads are stripped ready for port and polish. Comparing pistons and valves with an E Type 4.2....Pistons have been balance weighed to within 1 gram of each other. I'm going to use the head gaskets Andre suggested, Cometic.

Engine is "blue printed" so it'll be better than new, mileage doesn't come into it when you freshen the unit to this degree. It's a MY 2002 so has all the 4.2 timing gear. (All new)

Still looking at what TVS supercharger to fit, big bore, low boost, small bore high boost. Whipple or Kenne Bell........

One thing you must do, fit a new oil pump, DO NOT USE THE OLD ONE! My one tip! good luck with the power voyage ;-)

Attached Thumbnails Project Overboost by B.I. Performance-dscf3929-large-.jpg   Project Overboost by B.I. Performance-dscf3941-large-.jpg   Project Overboost by B.I. Performance-dscf3942-large-.jpg   Project Overboost by B.I. Performance-dscf3949-large-.jpg   Project Overboost by B.I. Performance-dscf3950-large-.jpg  

Project Overboost by B.I. Performance-dscf4314-large-.jpg   Project Overboost by B.I. Performance-dscf4315-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Sean B; 07-14-2011 at 04:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Project Overboost by B.I. Performance