XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Prospective XJR owner here

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts
Default to chinny

You asked edit button , this right there bottom of the right side to the page but just a reminder after a certain period of time only admin or mods can edit posts

Attached Thumbnails Prospective XJR owner here-capture-edit-button.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh I don't have that option yet I'm guessing because a new member.

Anyway, I think i might have to settle for an XJ Sport and no XJR. Mom isn't happy with the XJR.

Maybe I can convince her for the S-Type R? But I'm not really into the S-Type aesthetically and I don't know how they compare to the reliability of the X308 and trouble spots/

What do you guys think?

Is there really anything different I have to look out for on the XJ Sport vs. the XJR?

Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by chinny4290
Oh I don't have that option yet I'm guessing because a new member.

Anyway, I think i might have to settle for an XJ Sport and no XJR. Mom isn't happy with the XJR.

What do you guys think?

Is there really anything different I have to look out for on the XJ Sport vs. the XJR?
What's put your Mum off? Insurance cost? If you buy an R' - you'll forget about that Benz thing in short order.....

Old 10-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The drive train / mechanical difference in the R and Sport is the supercharger and the Merc transmission vs. the ZF. I'm sure your mom is having problems with the supercharger and the additional 80 HP.

Based upon everything I have read here by others who own NA versions of the x308, they are are all equally happy with them. You've got to respect your mom's opinion and the comparison to your ex. Merc should still be very comparable.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Please remember your good experiences with MB coincided with the the model year peak of their reliability curve; The later cars are, as you have discovered, much more expensive to maintain and built to a lower lifespan standard, as the beancounters took over the board.

The next point is a little hard to explain, but the Jag is a much more lively, interactive car to drive; You and the car propel yourselves down the road with constant feedback, one to another, something like riding a spirited horse; In contrast, driving the Benz is rather like whipping an old rump-sprung mule down the garden path - You constantly instruct, and the car complies.

If this interactive driving style suits you, you can never go back, without feeling a bit alone in the cockpit ever after -

Old 10-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by bloweraddict
Please remember your good experiences with MB coincided with the the model year peak of their reliability curve; The later cars are, as you have discovered, much more expensive to maintain and built to a lower lifespan standard, as the beancounters took over the board.

The next point is a little hard to explain, but the Jag is a much more lively, interactive car to drive; You and the car propel yourselves down the road with constant feedback, one to another, something like riding a spirited horse; In contrast, driving the Benz is rather like whipping an old rump-sprung mule down the garden path - You constantly instruct, and the car complies.

If this interactive driving style suits you, you can never go back, without feeling a bit alone in the cockpit ever after -
I sir, am aware .

I've had my fair share of track experiences with BMWs, Benzes, and some others. My dad is on his 4th BMW and I had the opportunity to use it for the day. Goddamn.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I would be more than a bit concerned about the things you mentioned wrong with this car:

1. a cockeyed steering wheel is a sign of a bigger problem than wheel allignment. At the very least it indicates incompetant mechanical work.

2. brake pulling to the right certainly indicates trouble. Brakes are generally done in tandem-- you could be looking at a $1,000 service ticket here.

3. a guy trying to sell a car with obvious issues that he still owes money on rings an alarm with me.

There are cars of this vintage on the mkt. in absolutely perfect mechanical condition. They are owned by guys like me who tollerate no mechanical defficiencies no mater what the cost to correct. Find one and buy it. You know it's out there. Hold out for it.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 AM

Anyway, here's an update.

I'm about to pull the trigger down on a 02 XJ Sport with 95k miles. It has a well documented and consistent service history on CarFax, was previously a "Jag Select CPO," is certified at 2 owners, is VERY clean and seems well pampered.

It's being sold by a high end used dealer. Test drove the car, no faults, everything worked, tranny shifted perfectly, no alignment issue, no pulling under braking...when I thought the XJR I saw was good to go, this one just seemed better.

When test driven, I pointed out that the steering wheel adjust wouldn't go in or out but did go up and down. Also noted that there was knocking up front, but I figured they were sway bar bushings. They were.

Also, the driver side mirror was cracked.

But kudos to the seller, because he fixed ALL OF IT.

I'm having the car dropped off at a Jag dealer for a PPI, so I feel good about this one.

Here's the link, and I'm about to meet his asking price of $8k.

Wish me luck all!

Here's the car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Old 10-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Hey!!! Thats a nice looking car!! Same colour as mine in fact, only without the scratch on the passenger door from a soft get on a bike. Looks really clean so you're dead lucky there. Good Luck with it, you'll not be distracted by any Germans now you crusing in a cat!!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Great looking car, if I do say so myself. Other than the badge on the trunk, supercharger, mesh grille, and exhaust tips, it's the same as my XJR. Sounds like you did your research and may have found the right one for you!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Immaculate car, I think you did a good deal

Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts
Default XJR Do or don't...

The fact is, yes, the Jag is more reliable than the equivalent German car, but the repairs are substantial should something go wrong. My new XJ Sport ( great option over the just-as-rare XJR, better MPG at 25.5!!!) already has had an oil spill after 1000 miles (on 41k), but I hope it will stop. The XK8 (2003) we have had a coolant leak on the 4.2, and the replacement part was 350$+labour. Be careful, but yes a fabulous alternative to the all-too-uniform Germanymobiles.