XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Pssst........it's a secret, don't spread it around!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

´´Driving home for christmas, in my Daimler Limousine´´.....(tnx Chris Rea)
A drive in a Daimler x308 , the best of EVERYTHING!
And I sure know it, as a former owner of

BMW 7 series
AUDI V8 Quattro
Mercedes 280 SEL
and even when someone handed me, during his six weeks holidag his Bentley Continental Turbo, 2009. (drives like the Titanic)
A Rover SDI 1 Vdplas, 1982 V8
etc. etc.
They were all much less reliable, had more repairs and got not a single ´´look´´-they were mere ´´cars´´. And NO FUN TO DRIVE !!!

MY Daimler 308 from 2001 is an apparrition, of Style, good Taste and, yes, QUALITY

I will cherish my ´´Dame´´ and if ever something would happen to it than I will replace it immediately with a same car.
´´Pleasure remains long after the price has been forgotten´´

Attached Thumbnails Pssst........it's a secret, don't spread it around!-img_1918-2-.jpg   Pssst........it's a secret, don't spread it around!-nieuw-pics-dec-12-010.jpg   Pssst........it's a secret, don't spread it around!-nieuw-pics-dec-12-128.jpg   Pssst........it's a secret, don't spread it around!-nieuw-pics-dec-12-032.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
sandy85 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miles driven in a Jag is like adding time to your lifespan

sandy85 (12-31-2012)
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have had 4 in the last 15 years....the trans on my 85 xj6.....bought in 96.....went on me after about 7 months and i bought it from a jag mechanic/restorer......at the time went for about 1600(got it done for his price) on a rebuilt....lasted for about....7 years.....but by this time was no longer useing as a daily driver....

around 2003 or thereabouts....lost reverse.....but turned out to be....bad body throttle gasket......and fluid by pass.....repaired for about....275.....

the point is.....the trans on these cars can go just about anytime.....and how you treat and care for the car makes a world of difference.....treating the car as special....and not as an everyday driver,garageing or at least covering it...and doing your basic maintenance...goes a long way....if you are lucky enough to have three as i do....you can spread the love around....and reduce wear and tear on any one car....

but lets face like all machines they are all subject to the laws of entropy....and eventually break down....

i kind of liken it to my dentists' soap box ...on ....dental care.....i let him rant on......when in fact what i know is that dentistry is nothing more than the art/science...of fore stalling/retarding delaying (you get it) what is essentially a degenerative process.anyway.....of course that does not mean you do nothing

not much different than jaguar (or any other car for that matter).....ownership! interestingly enough...dental work and jag repairs cost about the same

Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tons of problems, but the best car I've ever had!

In the 3 years Puss Puss (2000 XJ8, Anthracite w/ Black leather W/ grey piping) has been with me, She has had $11,000 in repairs. $5000 was a low mileage engine I had to replace when I bought her. The rest, including a used transmission has been a lot of front end work and hoses. She still has a couple thousand worth of problems, but when I come out of a store and see her sitting parked by herself away from the others, I fall in love again. Ill just have to keep plugging away as the money comes in.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RIXJ8
In the 3 years Puss Puss (2000 XJ8, Anthracite w/ Black leather W/ grey piping) has been with me, She has had $11,000 in repairs. $5000 was a low mileage engine I had to replace when I bought her. The rest, including a used transmission has been a lot of front end work and hoses. She still has a couple thousand worth of problems, but when I come out of a store and see her sitting parked by herself away from the others, I fall in love again. Ill just have to keep plugging away as the money comes in.
Well put. The maintenance issues and our Vandy's temperamental attitude…lights on, lights off…drives drives drives me crazy. However, when I stand back admiring her after a hand washing or as you state, when I walk out of a store and see her parked out by herself, I can't help but marvel over the beauty of her lines…and I fall in love with her even more.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

The Jag is like the best of hot lovers-looks to die for, expenses that bankrupt you, suspicion about what she's doing when you aren't watching, heartbreak & trauma-but still you can't give her up & you are compelled to come back for more, because you can forgive all her troublesome habits when she has the body of an angel & gives you the ride of your life

The following 4 users liked this post by Red October:
Graham Royls (01-09-2013), Ricop (01-10-2013), sandy85 (01-09-2013), WaterDragon (01-10-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Although I LOVE my VDP, for those who are having no problems with their N/A X308, how long have you all owned that particular car?

No offense to anyone, but I too often see comments from people saying that their car is super reliable but they have only owned their car for only a very short amount of time, like a few years if not less.

I have babied my car for 9 years and have 110k total on the clock and mine has been pretty unreliable. Actually I rarely see anyone who has had a N/A X308 for a long time and comment on its reliability, regardless if it is good or bad.

Some years, my VDP has been reliable. Other years, it has been a nightmare. If I owned mine for a just a year or two, I could falsely believe it is very reliable. Overall it has been worse than my dad's BMW E39 he has had for 12 yrs, my old Jeep Grand Cherokee that was owned for 14 yrs, Ford Expedition for 9 yrs or my friends' BMW E34 he has had for 23 years.

TBH, I think many (but not all) people who have had reliable experiences with N/A X308s have just not owned the car long enough.

Last edited by burmaz; 01-08-2013 at 11:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by burmaz:
DaSurfa (01-10-2013), Ricop (01-10-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Red October
The Jag is like the best of hot lovers-looks to die for, expenses that bankrupt you, suspicion about what she's doing when you aren't watching, heartbreak & trauma-but still you can't give her up & you are compelled to come back for more, because you can forgive all her troublesome habits when she has the body of an angel & gives you the ride of your life
You are so right!

We put up with a lot for the "body and a ride", but there is a solution for that too,....never have just one! If your Kitty throws a fit, just pick your best Armani from the closet, close shave, wad of cash, and hit the town in something else. Kitty can sit at home, wondering where you're at, and you can put up with her fit when it suits you.

I don't think mine will ever leave me stranded, but there is a solution for that too,....AAA. Tow truck minutes away, trusted mechanic to receive her at any hour, or day and a cab ride home. (and for the other aspect of our daily blues,....prenup, and a best divorce lawyer money can buy!)

Like we used to say in the military,......"there are no problems, only solutions!"

Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

Jags are the best kept secret ever. In the past 7 years ive had a bunch of X, XF's and XJ's.....and only 1 car ever went to the mechanic (03 X308 SuperV8 for a throttle body issue)

its funny because when I say i have a Jag, people usually light up in a different way than if I were to say I have a BMW or Benz, as if they respect the Jag more.....but i get the usual remarks from everyone "oh its so unrealiable"....i dont even try to argue..i just tell them im rich enough to pay for repairs haha

never the less, its actually a much better car than any BMW or Benz, and its cheaper (yet most people dont notice that its cheaper)

Rockyracoun (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yes...danielsand....has it right.....yes if you can afford more than one....lower any one overuse/abuse.....don't use as everyday ride....and keep them jealous of one another....your less lokely to get scratched.......

Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
You are so right!

We put up with a lot for the "body and a ride", but there is a solution for that too,....never have just one! If your Kitty throws a fit, just pick your best Armani from the closet, close shave, wad of cash, and hit the town in something else. Kitty can sit at home, wondering where you're at, and you can put up with her fit when it suits you.

I don't think mine will ever leave me stranded, but there is a solution for that too,....AAA. Tow truck minutes away, trusted mechanic to receive her at any hour, or day and a cab ride home. (and for the other aspect of our daily blues,....prenup, and a best divorce lawyer money can buy!)

Like we used to say in the military,......"there are no problems, only solutions!"
I have to slum it in the Bentley if the Big Cat throws a hissy fit, although she's never stranded me yet-unlike the Bentley which lunched it's head gaskets when I was out driving in the rain

That was a problem that required a BIG solution

Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I've had my N/A VDP for about 5 years. The only real problems I've had were related to accidents. I'm on my third radiator. First one was smacked by a truck tire retread on the highway. The second was smashed by the wife backing off a curb. Of course I did a lot of preventative maintenance - secondary tensioners, water pump, thermostat, thermostat tower, tranny service. Fortunately, the only shop it has been in while under my care was the body shop when it was in after the tire retread incident. Oh yeah, there were the broken wires in the right boot hinge. Forum helped id that issue.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Totally agree

I have 2001 XJR black with 82K miles , have put on 24 K since purchase in 2005. Only problem water pump rplacement . Quoted $600 to replace and fix . Thanks to this forum total cost $120.00 .
This car wraps around you gets compliments . Fun to learn about its quirks and educational to learn fixes . I truly enjoy this Car and its Forum.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I love driving mine but it keeps me on edge. The engine check light came on recently. The next day, it was gone. I don't get excited with any of the quirks anymore... She's a lady!

The following 2 users liked this post by Morpheus311:
Rockyracoun (01-11-2013), sandy85 (01-10-2013)