XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Pulling trigger on XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

I tested them both with a 9 volt battery and speaker wire. One pump ran with either lead attached to it. The other pump would not run with either lead attached to it. I discerned that both leads were fine and I just have a dead pump.

I also did a continuity test on both leads. One of the leads is integrated with with the fuel level sending unit, so it would have been difficult to replace that one. I cleaned them really good and re-used them; I am hoping they will continue to work fine.

I may use the money I thought I might have to spend on link leads to order a new sub-woofer. I pulled mine out and in addition to the foam being all rotted out, one of the connectors is broken and the wire damaged. It would take a lot of work to repair that speaker, and then it still may not work right. I am really tempted to order a new one, but they are pretty expensive.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by harvest14
Maniqz, I did the SAME thing when I bought the XJ8 last year. I ordered the part online, I think it was between $30 and $35 dollars.

I had to snake it under the manifold on the XJ8, but you have an XJR if I'm not mistaken, which means it must go underneath the supercharger. I tied a string to the old one and pulled it out as it pulled the string underneath, then I loosened the string and tied it to the new one and pulled it through and into position. It was not as easy as it sounds, but it worked.

I am out in the garage replacing both fuel pumps. I just got the tank back in the car and am hooking everything back up. Major prayer time! haha. I really hope I did everything right.
So Jeff, it's not connected to anything at the other end?

Old 05-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Maniqz,

On the XJ8 it connected to the throttle body adapter (very hard to snap into place but eventually a satisfying "click") and also to something on the firewall. It had three connection points all together. I presume the XJR has a similar configuration, if not exactly the same....not sure. If you search for the part and it comes up with three connection points (and matches the part number for an XJ8) then it's probably the same.

The following users liked this post:
maniqz (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
maniqz (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 11:55 PM

Thanks Jeff and Convincor, you guys are priceless.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

All of my door locks work perfectly now, even the rear doors!! Thanks for the parts Convincor.

I also ordered a used subwoofer off Ebay that has perfectly intact electrical connections and is supposedly fully tested and proven functional, except that the foam is gone. I already have the kit, so when I get that one in the mail I'll do the foam treatment and put it in. The down side is now I have to put my back seat and parcel shelf back together with no speaker in place for a week until I get the other speaker, then I have to take it all apart again.

I got some Lemforder tie-rod ends because I found a good price. I don't know if mine are bad, but I'd like to go ahead and put a fresh set on the car. I just paid for an alignment. Is it possible to install these in such a way, carefully I'm sure, that I won't need another alignment?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Default Valve cover

Hi Jeff and Convincor, turns out my valve cover has a crack, I saw one on eBay for an xj8 will this fit my XJR?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:36 AM

XJ8 cover will have the hole for VVT.
This XK8 cover may fit. Maybe someone else can confirm.
1999 XJ8 XK8 Jaguar Valve Cover Driver Oil Fill Side 4 0L Good Condition | eBay

Old 05-12-2016, 07:09 PM

Thanks Convincor but I just got 1 at the junkyard, I was lucky they sold it to me knowing they usually keep it by selling the whole engine.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 PM

That one wasn't mine.. Just trying to help.
Glad you found one though.

maniqz (05-12-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

I am updating on more than one thread now, so I'm not sure where to post anymore. I guess I need to "tone it down" a bit, but I'm having so much fun getting the XJR into shape that I'm compelled to write about my adventures. I guess I'll stick to this thread, since I started it.

Today I did my fourth drain-n-fill on the transmission. First time took 3.5 liters because I dropped the pan, each of the following took exactly 2.5 liters for a total of 11 liters used so far. I have one bottle left out of the 12 count case I ordered. The fluid coming out now is starting to look pink again. At 80 C the fluid level was dead-on the top mark of the dipstick (upper one within the 80 C range). A spirited 10 mile test drive and it shifts absolutely perfectly.

I had been reducing tire pressure systematically to try and eliminate an intermittent "hop" at highway speeds (70-80 mph). I decided to go the other direction as an experiment; I increased all four tires to 32 PSI. I spent a good portion of that 10 mile drive between 70 and 80 MPH, no hop. Plus, overall, even around town, the ride seemed smoother. Not sure what to make of that, but the results are what's important I guess.

Last thing this morning; I placed some clean shop towels over the subwoofer speaker opening and could not hear my fuel pump at all. I've been detailing my fuel pump changing exploits in another thread and was concerned about a high pitched whine. I have a new subwoofer on order but until it gets here there is a hole in my back deck. I took the speaker out during the fuel pump job, so I'm hoping the pump is fine and when the speaker is back in place the sound will be gone.

Car drives fantastic! So fast, I love it...

Edit: I had a little more time before work, so I conducted yet another smoke test. NOTHING. I cannot find a leak anywhere. At idle when the engine is warming up the trims are very good 0-2 on all four. At operating temperature they are about +6 LTFT on bank 1 and +9 LTFT on bank 2 with the STFT around zero. While driving the LTFT fluctuate between 0 and +9 while the STFT are close to zero under load and fluctuate a bit off-load. Bank 2 is always a little higher (positive) than bank 1, except under acceleration when everything is the same. I realize those fuel trims are not terrible and certainly the car drives great, but I'd love to know what's causing the trend towards positive, especially on bank 2. I let the smoke test run for 1/2 hour and used an inspection camera to look at EVERYTHING. I'm at a loss.

Last edited by harvest14; 05-14-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Johnny_B (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I am updating on more than one thread now, so I'm not sure where to post anymore. I guess I need to "tone it down" a bit, but I'm having so much fun getting the XJR into shape that I'm compelled to write about my adventures. I guess I'll stick to this thread, since I started it.

Today I did my fourth drain-n-fill on the transmission. First time took 3.5 liters because I dropped the pan, each of the following took exactly 2.5 liters for a total of 11 liters used so far. I have one bottle left out of the 12 count case I ordered. The fluid coming out now is starting to look pink again. At 80 C the fluid level was dead-on the top mark of the dipstick (upper one within the 80 C range). A spirited 10 mile test drive and it shifts absolutely perfectly.

I had been reducing tire pressure systematically to try and eliminate an intermittent "hop" at highway speeds (70-80 mph). I decided to go the other direction as an experiment; I increased all four tires to 32 PSI. I spent a good portion of that 10 mile drive between 70 and 80 MPH, no hop. Plus, overall, even around town, the ride seemed smoother. Not sure what to make of that, but the results are what's important I guess.

Last thing this morning; I placed some clean shop towels over the subwoofer speaker opening and could not hear my fuel pump at all. I've been detailing my fuel pump changing exploits in another thread and was concerned about a high pitched whine. I have a new subwoofer on order but until it gets here there is a hole in my back deck. I took the speaker out during the fuel pump job, so I'm hoping the pump is fine and when the speaker is back in place the sound will be gone.

Car drives fantastic! So fast, I love it...

Edit: I had a little more time before work, so I conducted yet another smoke test. NOTHING. I cannot find a leak anywhere. At idle when the engine is warming up the trims are very good 0-2 on all four. At operating temperature they are about +6 LTFT on bank 1 and +9 LTFT on bank 2 with the STFT around zero. While driving the LTFT fluctuate between 0 and +9 while the STFT are close to zero under load and fluctuate a bit off-load. Bank 2 is always a little higher (positive) than bank 1, except under acceleration when everything is the same. I realize those fuel trims are not terrible and certainly the car drives great, but I'd love to know what's causing the trend towards positive, especially on bank 2. I let the smoke test run for 1/2 hour and used an inspection camera to look at EVERYTHING. I'm at a loss.
I just want to say thank you for starting this thread.. I am also in the process of looking for an XJR (hopefully an '03.) In fact, a few of the cars that you went to look at were on my list of candidates! I'm glad I saw this thread before I thought about buying any of them.. You saved me a lot of headache/heartache Thank you

harvest14 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for saying that Johnny. Sometimes I worry that I'm being self-indulgent and using the thread as a personal therapy outlet for my project. I like to hear when someone actually finds it helpful or beneficial.

It's fun to play the question lottery too. I pose lots of questions in my posts and when I sign on it's cool to see if any of them got answered. Most of them don't, but any questions that do get answered I count it a blessing. Other people's experience is the best resource, and none of them owe me anything, including responses and answers. So, when they do answer it's very exciting.

The following 2 users liked this post by harvest14:
Johnny_B (05-15-2016), Patioboater (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 01:07 AM

You're welcome

Old 05-15-2016, 09:43 PM

Thanks for saying that Johnny. Sometimes I worry that I'm being self-indulgent and using the thread as a personal therapy outlet for my project. I like to hear when someone actually finds it helpful or beneficial.

It's fun to play the question lottery too. I pose lots of questions in my posts and when I sign on it's cool to see if any of them got answered. Most of them don't, but any questions that do get answered I count it a blessing. Other people's experience is the best resource, and none of them owe me anything, including responses and answers. So, when they do answer it's very exciting.
Jeff,
Just keep plugging in. I am in the same process as you, I have bought my Jag a few weeks later than yours. But you have done a pretty extensive process which I hope I can replicate. I am still on to the other tensioner. I am learning a lot from this thread as I go by. Johnny B, it would be wise to subscribe to this thread if you plan on getting an XJ. Jeff and Convincor are very helpful.

The following 2 users liked this post by maniqz:
harvest14 (05-16-2016), Johnny_B (05-16-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

I could not bring myself to order a new subwoofer for over $200, so I ordered a used one off of Ebay that had intact electrical connections. I had planned to re-furbish mine so I had already ordered the foam repair kit but upon removal discovered mine had damaged electrical connections. I just used the repair kit on the used one from Ebay. Repaired the speaker yesterday, installed it today.

Very impressive thumping bass now. It really sounds nice!

New speaker $210 + $19 shipping = $229

$25 for used speaker + $8 for repair kit + $13 total shipping costs = $46

Having thumping base for 80% less than the cost of buying new = priceless

Johnny_B (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 08:28 PM

Sweet

Old 05-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Default Ride quality update...

I have been trying to tweak the ride quality and have learned a couple of things.

The XJR seems to be very sensitive to tire pressure. I have found that the sweet spot is around 31 to 32 psi all around. Anything lower is bouncy and anything higher is bumpy.

I think I may have over-torqued the new upper front shock mounts I recently installed. I torqued them like I did the upper mounts on my XJ8, but upon reading JTIS on the subject, it appears the adaptive shocks are torqued MUCH less. about 11 to 13 ft lbs. I loosed and re-torqued them and my perception is that the ride is better. In theory that leaves more range within which the spongy material can absorb bumps, or it may be a placebo effect. Either way they are properly torqued now, and they were way tighter than 13 ft lbs. It was very difficult to loosen them because I had them so tight.

Side note. I love the way a black car looks in the rain...

Attached Thumbnails Pulling trigger on XJR?-img_2626.jpg   Pulling trigger on XJR?-img_2627.jpg  
Johnny_B (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

I have been trying to tweak the ride quality and have learned a couple of things.

The XJR seems to be very sensitive to tire pressure. I have found that the sweet spot is around 31 to 32 psi all around. Anything lower is bouncy and anything higher is bumpy.
I can second that, not only the XJR.
As I don't drive the XJ8 that often, I up the pressure sometimes for the longer 'standing' periods, and it is very noticeable if I take her for a quick drive.

I love the way a black car looks in the rain...
Yeah, she looks great.
I am always even more amazed how different the x308 looks with different wheels, especially concave ones.
Did you ever sell your XJ8?

Old 05-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Eric,

The wheels are among my favorite Jaguar ever offered, which was a strong selling point for me on this car.

I sold the XJ8 about a week after I picked up the XJR. It worked out really nicely. The XJR was in my garage for about a week undergoing an extensive list of maintenance items before I was willing to drive it daily. During that week the XJ8 was still serving as my daily commuter. Within about a day of rolling the XJR out of the garage to take over my daily commuting, someone handed me a cashiers check and drove away in the XJ8.

Quick Reply: Pulling trigger on XJR?