XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Purchase Opinions (2003 XJR)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020 | 10:33 PM
|
Default Purchase Opinions (2003 XJR)

New member here, have been browsing the forums for a few weeks now and a lot of good info here. Very knowledgeable and friendly members, hoping I can become a part of the community very soon. I've always been a cur guy and have had many enthisiast vehicles, mostly US domestic (Vettes, Mustangs, Camaros, etc). I love to work on my own vehicles and always enjoy a project. Recently the X308 XJR has caught my eye as a very good performance value and it seems they are fairly reliable when taken care of properly.

I looked at a car today that I'm seriously considering. It's a 2003 XJR with 125k miles. Car is black over Oyster and I am pretty sure it's an R1. It has the BBS wheels, Brembo brakes, and green Bilstein shocks (have wire harnesses going to them). If it's not an R1 someone spent a lot of $ adding these parts. Sellers bottom line is $3700.

The Good:
-Was a Florida car and has absolutely not rust or rot anywhere. We're used to rust on older cars here in PA, and this is very clean underneath. Even the exhaust system looks like new.
-Car runs and drives great. Engine is quiet with good power and transmission shifts nice and smooth. No leaks from engine, transmission, or rear.
-Brakes are good, no vibrations and pads have a lot of life left (I've read on here that replacing the Brembos can get pricey).
-Wheels are in excellent shape, no curb rash. Also has nearly new Continental tires.
-Important accessories work properly (AC/Heat/Heated Seats/Power Windows & Locks/Power Seats/Radio, etc).
-Interior is in good shape, no rips or tears. Headliner is good as well.

The Bad:
-Sunroof does not work. Does not leak, but doesnt do anything when trying to open.
-Power antenna is inoperable. Looks easy to get to from inside the trunk.
-ABS light & "ASC and TRAC not available" message comes on intermittently. I've read a few things on the forum about this, anything from faulty wheel sensor to bad ABS module to dirty grounds/low battery voltage.
-Paint is in great shape, but hood & trunk have many small dings from being parked under a tree and large acorns falling on it. Looks like they can all be removed with paintless dent removal.
-Driver side front fender was repainted at some point. All VIN tags are in place on fenders, quarters, etc, but the fender was definitely painted. They did a good job, but I have a keen eye for paintwork. Assuming it was in a minor accident at some point. Must have been minor as the fender is still the original which is good.

That's pretty much it. There may be some other small things I missed, but it is a nearly 20 year old car with some miles and I fully expect to put some work in on any car of this age and mileage. Just wondering if this is a decent deal for $3700 as I dont have a ton of experience with these cars. Absolutely loved how it drove and like the fact that it's an 03 (I've read on here that's the best year for the 308 XJR). Also like that it has the R1 package, just makes it a bit more special.

Any opinions welcome, thanks for reading.

Old 02-08-2020 | 10:36 PM
|

Forgot one more thing - the rear brakes sqeak when being applied. In my experience this just means the pins and pads need to be re-lubircated (I think this car has sat a bit recently), but wondering if this could be another more serious issue as I dont know the specific design of this braking system at this point.

Old 02-09-2020 | 02:09 PM

price sounds reasonable,not to many down sides.rear sqeal are pads or parkbrake shoes

Old 02-09-2020 | 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Put it to you this way. If I was still looking for an xjr, I would buy that asap. Hell of a price. And it's an 03, the best year in terms of reliability. I bought a 115k mile 02 xjr last Thursday, for $5,700

Old 02-09-2020 | 06:26 PM
|

Thanks for the input guys. I thought it was a good price, especially for an 03 being the best year for the 308, just torn on whether to get this and put the work in or hold out for something nicer. I don't mind spending more for a nice car, but on the other hand I haven't seen many 2003 model years for sale, especially with the R1 package. None of the issues are major, but as you know even small things can add up. Not afraid to work on the car, just dont want to end up sinking a ton of $ in parts and in the end regret not getting something nicer to start with. If if didn't have the (admittedly minor) body damage I would have bought it on the spot. I'm a stickler for body & paint work, mechanical issues never bother me much.

Old 02-09-2020 | 08:48 PM

Check the shock mounts and other suspension bushings; the front upper mounts are fairly easy but the rears require more effort. I tend to agree with the other replies that this is a lot of car for the money.

Old 02-09-2020 | 09:21 PM
|

I don't think I can pass it up, definitely a lot of car for the money even with the issues it has. Ran a Carfax and everything looks good, no accidents, damage, etc. Whatever caused the front fender to be painted must have been very minor. Original owner had it serviced at Jaguar up until 80k (according to Carfax) and it's had two owners since.

I have heard that suspension bushings are know to go bad, will definitely check those over. It rode nice and didn't hear any noises, but it was only a short drive.

Old 02-10-2020 | 05:16 AM

Looks like you checked the car out pretty good. No warranties on mechanics but I guess you know and you dont seem to be to concerned about it.
Bodywork is what you see is what you get. You either accept it, leave it or spend some serious money on it. (wouldn't recommend the last considering the mileage).
You yankees are so d*** lucky. Couldnt get anyhting for that price in Europe.
Just do it. I think. Maybe. Or not?

Old 02-10-2020 | 04:53 PM
|

Realized it was really not much money even if it turned out to be a problem and told the seller I would take it...Unfortunately he has decided to keep the car. Oh well,, maybe it's a sign it wasn't the one for me. Still on the hunt, now more than ever. I really love these cars and am just amazed at how much car you get for the money. I'll be sure to learn as much as I can in the meantime and post back once I finally purcahse. Thanks again for the help guys.

Old 02-11-2020 | 04:04 PM
|

Found a decent 1999 XJR that I'm considering. Is it best to stay away from these completely due to the Nikasil liner & plastic tensioners? Any other issues with the earlier cars? I dont mind doing tensioners (would do them right away), and I've heard that Nikasil engines are probably good by now if they havent given up. Any other info on the earlier cars would be appreciated.