XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

question about dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default question about dash lights

Ok I know this a common issue but since i bought this car I am concerned about a few things :

1.The secondary tensioner's and which ones to get and where?? Ford?

2.I have bolts missing on the cam cover it seems someone before me has blessed me with this task.I don't know where is a good place to get them. online this little problem is resulting a small leak that is dripping on to my exhaust thus causing that awful smell ..

3.I also cant rev more than 3000rpms in park...
Now I have provided a picture that has these light on now what do I do to fix this problem?
importantly the amber/red light & the traction control fail / Stability control fail.

The previous owner said he cleaned the abs sensor but the light is still on dash...not sure what is the problem .he said to reset the car.
how do I go about fixing the abs sensors?? do they need to be replaced?

I also ran a OBD and it came up with a misfire on cylinder 4. also as well in the process I happen to find that two vacuum lines were broken this turned off the check engine light that I had going on.

Now the CAT is new to me.. I know tuner cars pretty well and I am mechanically incline to do most bolt ons but will I be able to do my own tensioner's ?AND WHERE DO i GET THE TOOLS LOCAL AUTO STORE?

..on start up a sound like metal bearings it chirped for a split second ..and I dont think its a belt I almost wonder if its the tensioner giving out??? or low coolant and the water pump chirping? or even the supercharger how do I know if its going bad or bad at all?
what signs should I look for?

I am also leaking pink fluid leaking from the front and its not over heating?.. but it is half way on the thermostat..I wonder if its not safe to start the car so often as I do trying to figure these dilemmas out

Thank you fellow members that have helped me I will always post my completed jobs in detail if I can as I come across them.

Attached Thumbnails question about dash lights-dsc00521.jpg  

Last edited by jimmycruz99xjr; 12-31-2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't know all of these, so I won't pretend I do, but I'll do what I can.

1. I've also heard the Ford ones are cheaper and according to some posts, identical. Personally, I would purchase online to save money. Just be sure of the Part #'s first as returning is sometimes a pain online.

2. My Bolts are not missing, but I've recently started a small seeping from under the seals and the smell is awful! I will be fixing this soon. I understand it needs new Valve Cover seals and Plug Gaskets? I think that's correct.

3. This is normal. There is a governor built in that prevents over revving when parked.

4ish. The misfire, I would start at the plug and work backwards from there.

5ish. The Stability Fail is likely an ABS Sensor, or Wheel Bearing. I've read that either can cause this, and both are common. I would verify they are clean first, just to be sure. Beyond that, I'll leave it up to someone else to help answer as I am out of my league.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The tensioners are a very easy job for anyone with average mechanical skill. Took me 4 hours and I had never done that before. The Ford parts are Jaguar, says so on the boxes. They are significantly less than any Jaguar parts sources but you need to search around the net for the lowest prices. I bought mine at Silver State Ford which had the lowest prices 8 months ago. You will absolutely have to buy or rent the tools to do that job. Send a PM to this forum member 'viscoussquirrel' as he has found a couple current sources for the tools. You can also ask him about parts prices as he is a little ahead of you in his quest.

Sounds like you have a failing water pump buried within your original post. I would replace the pump, the thermostat and the thermostat housing at the same time. The housing is going to leak sooner or later and there is now an aluminum casting available on eBay to replace the plastic Jaguar OEM. The aluminum housing is cheaper than the Jaguar plastic one. The temp gauge in the dash is an 'idiot gauge' as it always reads mid point until you see smoke from the engine.

On the ABS issue: there are three levels of chronic problems. The sensor itself can get dirty enough to set a code, the cable from the sensor has been found to be so tight that it causes a CEL in turns and the ABS control module had a history of stress fracture on the circuit board. There are several posts on how to fix that.

I would also suggest you check out the FAQ sticky on the XK8/R forum for links to almost anything you can think of.

Last edited by test point; 12-31-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

XJR do not have a plastic aluminum housing