XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Question for AVOS twin screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Question for AVOS twin screw

Hi,

Is there anyone near San Francisco, California that has one of your twin screw kits running in their car that I could ride in and see dynod. I'd be happy to pay for the dyno run of course.

Before spending that kind of money I would like to see one in action, on the dyno, and go for a ride. I'm sure anyone who has one of your kits would be happy to show it off to me...yes?

I'd be curious to see what it is going to take to have a reliable 420-450 Rear Wheel HP.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

I have the Twin Screw kit on my car. If you are ever in the Boston area let me know. It is the best thing you can do to that car. I went thru all the mods, pulleys, porting larger radiators etc. Save your money & install the kit, the longer you wait the madder you will be once it is installed. There is only one other mod I would recomend to you, install a 3.77 pozi diff.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM

Have you had a dyno done and if yes, could you please post the results.

How easy would it be to add the twin screw to my car?..as I understand it, there is no complete kit, correct?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jgaxkr
i have the twin screw kit on my car. If you are ever in the boston area let me know. It is the best thing you can do to that car. I went thru all the mods, pulleys, porting larger radiators etc. Save your money & install the kit, the longer you wait the madder you will be once it is installed. There is only one other mod i would recomend to you, install a 3.77 pozi diff.
put it on the dyno junior!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Look who came out of the woodwork. The Thunderkitten. How is your car doing?? It has been over a year now. I predicted July 1 2012 & was wrong. At the rate you are going there must be 6 inches of dust on your car by now. What is the latest update as to when your car will be ready? Do you expect it this year? I can't wait to run the cars together to show you my tail lights!!!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much for the invite. If I am ever in the Boston area, I will definitely try to see yours. I don't have any immediate plans to be in that area, but do get there from time to time. If I arranged in advance, could we go to a shop where I could see it dynoed?

Yikes, I did not mean to kick up any adversarial rivalries here, and I certainly don't mean to be rude, but it is supremely important to me to get some evidence of what the twin screw actually produces in our cars on a dyno. Just like AVOS himself says, without dyno proof, there is no proof. Under your hood looks pretty amazing and you clearly have all the top end toys on it, I would love to see a posting of the dyno results. You must have done some dynos.

Last edited by Newby; 06-11-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

@Newby,
I can send you many dyno slips, but nothing beats a test a drive to understand what the extra horses bring to such a heavy car, so that’s a very kind offer from jgaxkr!

Of course you are more than welcome to visit me as well, or if you trust someone that you know across the pond to come by is also fine with me as well.

The setup is simple in the sense that it delivers consistent power. There isn't that much difference from car to car, only marginal just like the differences you can have between stock cars.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Avos are you saying only 2 people have the twin screw on their car you and Jgnxkr?? I thought more people had this kit, so we have 1 xkr in england and 1 in usa??

Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Avos are you saying only 2 people have the twin screw on their car you and Jgnxkr?? I thought more people had this kit, so we have 1 xkr in england and 1 in usa??
Don't think I have said that at all.

There are already more then 10 running arround and more to come. I always treat any contact confidential, and I don't ask people to promote or support in selling or whatever, and some are not active at all on forums. There are already 2 articles in Jaguar World Monthly, and another one hopefully soon to come and this time also about my car, where the editor of the story has also driven it. When I know its comming out i'll let you all know.

In the US there is indeed only 1 car now (Jgaxkr), and soon another.

There are a couple in the UK, The Netherlands, Belgium, France and Germany.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 AM

Oh good i can understand the hush hush just made it sound like there was only 2 lol I would love to get a copy of tht mag sucks we dont get it here in the states.

what about the eurotoys kit they sell for the 4.0 anyone have that one on their car yet?

Old 06-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
what about the eurotoys kit they sell for the 4.0 anyone have that one on their car yet?
Yeah good question, as I would like to get in contact with them and help them for more power as the kit from ET is horrible due to its blocking about 30% of the supercharger intake, even your porting wouldn't help there anymore ;-):
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...urotoys-70065/

Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 AM

Yeah i have heard they designed it just quickly and without alot of thought put into it very sad really

Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

IMLOOKING INTO USING THE SAME SC THAT AVOS USES IN HIS KITS. THERE IS NO BETTER SOURCE FOR THE INFO YOU SEEKS REAL WORLD THAN KENNE BELL'S SITE
SC Tech Info
SPEND SOME TIME IN HERE AND READ. ITS VERY INLIGHTENING, LIKE DID YOU KNOW THAT PORTING A EATONG IS A WASTE OF MONEY AND ACTUALLY REDUCES TORQUE EXCEPT FOR THE VERY TOP END. WHERE YOU SPEND MOST OF YOUR RPM YOUVE LOST POWER EXCEPT FOR THE TOP OF THE RPM RANGE AND ONLY A SLIGHT INCREASE, DEFINITLY POOR USE OF $$$.
THERE IS ENOUGH INFO ON THE TECH SITE ABOUT STOCK TO KB'S EVEN KB'S TWIN SCREWS TO EACH OTHER LIKE GRAPHS BETWEEN THE 2.1/2.3 AND THE 2.6.28 H', AND S'S AND ROOTS TO TWIN SCREW, TURBO, CENTRIFUGAL, SMALLER PULLEYS AND ON AND ON. SPEND SOME TIME IN THERE AND YOULL HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH INFO TO MAKE AN EDUCATED INFORMED CHOICE. AFTER I PSEND MANY HOURS POORING OVER THE INFO I TOO CAME UP WITH THE SAME CONCLUSION AS AVOS. HANDS DOWN A KB 2.6L HI COMPRESSION TWIN SCREW IS THE BEST CHOICE..HAPPY READING

and here's a good read on the S and H trimmed TS's
http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/SC_pg...s/H_Series.htm
that shows the diff. betweens efficient twin screws, just think of how anitquated the Eaton is in comparison. and yes that comparison's there too

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
avos (06-12-2012), Newby (06-12-2012), Panthro (10-17-2015)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Great info there indeed, I still check it out now and then, you can spend some good time there digesting info.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
IMLOOKING INTO USING THE SAME SC THAT AVOS USES IN HIS KITS. THERE IS NO BETTER SOURCE FOR THE INFO YOU SEEKS REAL WORLD THAN KENNE BELL'S SITE
SC Tech Info
SPEND SOME TIME IN HERE AND READ. ITS VERY INLIGHTENING, LIKE DID YOU KNOW THAT PORTING A EATONG IS A WASTE OF MONEY AND ACTUALLY REDUCES TORQUE EXCEPT FOR THE VERY TOP END. WHERE YOU SPEND MOST OF YOUR RPM YOUVE LOST POWER EXCEPT FOR THE TOP OF THE RPM RANGE AND ONLY A SLIGHT INCREASE, DEFINITLY POOR USE OF $$$.
THERE IS ENOUGH INFO ON THE TECH SITE ABOUT STOCK TO KB'S EVEN KB'S TWIN SCREWS TO EACH OTHER LIKE GRAPHS BETWEEN THE 2.1/2.3 AND THE 2.6.28 H', AND S'S AND ROOTS TO TWIN SCREW, TURBO, CENTRIFUGAL, SMALLER PULLEYS AND ON AND ON. SPEND SOME TIME IN THERE AND YOULL HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH INFO TO MAKE AN EDUCATED INFORMED CHOICE. AFTER I PSEND MANY HOURS POORING OVER THE INFO I TOO CAME UP WITH THE SAME CONCLUSION AS AVOS. HANDS DOWN A KB 2.6L HI COMPRESSION TWIN SCREW IS THE BEST CHOICE..HAPPY READING

and here's a good read on the S and H trimmed TS's
H Series Supercharger
that shows the diff. betweens efficient twin screws, just think of how anitquated the Eaton is in comparison. and yes that comparison's there too
First, a big thank you for the link.

I follow and agree with your logic, but I would need to see one reliably working on a XJR on a dyno, and that does not seem to be being made available.

It would appear that one gets into deminishing, then negative returns by upping the boost on the roots rather quickly, but I am going to start with the modest 1.5lb upper pulley and water injection and, if my calculations are in the ballpark of correct, I would have 1.5 more of boost and 12 degree lower intake temps than stock. Later I am going to also add the killer chiller and upgraded intercoolers (not too thick) see how that improves things too.

For the time being, I am scaling back my expectations, but am having fun learning about this stuff. I'm not trying to build a monster, just get a little more fun with it.

Last edited by Newby; 06-12-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Ok newby, if your gonna start small dont do a 1.5 do the 3 on the mp112 its good fit. I also recommend kilelr chiller if you really want to drop temps. 1% per 10* inlet temp reduction. They plumb into the intercooler system(youll need to sperate the system from the engine coolant system) and the return ac line after the freon goes through the cabin to drop intercooler temp by40-60* a 400hp engine with a 60* temp drop is approx 24hp more than before and less likely to detonate with cooler temps.
Not only will a 3# opulley increase boost and power, yes turning it faster will induce more heat and parasitic loses to drive at higher boost. But it also will go into boost alot sooner in rpm range.
You getting alittle more fun out of it useally lasts about a couple weeks after a modification. Kinda like a beer would get you drunk when you first drank, now maybe a 6 pack for the same
welcome to addiction
Oh and youll need a methanol water system 50/50 if thats the route you want to go and use a welbuilt system like SNOW performance.
But again as others have said, youll do all this small stuff, only to end up going to a twin screw kit and wishing youde have done it first. just cause you have a beast, doesnt meen you have to unleash it. Kinda like a gun, better to have and not need, than to need and not have

Last edited by Brutal; 06-12-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
The following users liked this post:
Newby (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Ok newby, if your gonna start small dont do a 1.5 do the 3 on the mp112 its good fit. I also recommend kilelr chiller if you really want to drop temps. 1% per 10* inlet temp reduction. They plumb into the intercooler system(youll need to sperate the system from the engine coolant system) and the return ac line after the freon goes through the cabin to drop intercooler temp by40-60* a 400hp engine with a 60* temp drop is approx 24hp more than before and less likely to detonate with cooler temps.
Not only will a 3# opulley increase boost and power, yes turning it faster will induce more heat and parasitic loses to drive at higher boost. But it also will go into boost alot sooner in rpm range.
You getting alittle more fun out of it useally lasts about a couple weeks after a modification. Kinda like a beer would get you drunk when you first drank, now maybe a 6 pack for the same
welcome to addiction
Hah, we were both typing the words "killer chiller" at the same time ( I just edited my post above to include the future chiller )

My Snow stage II should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. Since I am planning on installing the nozzle in the intake tube about 6" before the TB, and since it will be before the blower, I thought it safer to run 100% water as there is controversy of if the meth would hurt any rotor coatings. I have a 2002 XJR. What is your opinion here?

Also, would freeing up the intake path with XJR-0220 type intake and porting the TB and intake have the effect of raising the boost since it is easier to get more air to the super charger??

Huge thank you for your info here

Last edited by Newby; 06-12-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Newby
I follow and agree with your logic, but I would need to see one reliably working on a XJR on a dyno, and that does not seem to be being made available.

Not sure if I understand correctly, are you saying that you don't believe what power you can get with a twin-screw? Or do you think an XJR is different from a XKR, ie less reliable?

If it’s the first, I am more than happy to do a dyno again and video tape it for that particular purpose, and if it is the latter; engine, transmission drive train etc is all the same between the XJR and XKR.

If all you wish for is 450 rwhp as mentioned in your first post, it is easy to obtain with the TS kit, no special extra mods required.

I am running with 450+ rwhp for more than 3 years now (last half year with 500+ rwhp even) which is about 60Kmiles and even longer with 400+ rwhp in total about 100Kmiles iirc (don't keep track of it anymore). Have just passed the 200Kmiles mark yesterday (322.000KM), and the car hasn’t lost any of its GT qualities which was for me an important criteria in making this kit as I just drive too much. Obvioulsy was also not interested in a monster, but now I have the ability to select the amount of power, and the addictive low end torque.

Coming back to the Eaton route: As Brutal says, better to skip the 1.5 psi, and go for more if you want to notice something.

I would spray after the supercharger, not before, and also change the intake, not sure if you will be able to measure a good difference in boost, but just the lower drag of the SC by lowering the vacuum in the intake will already free up power.

Happy Hunting!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:21 PM

And andre that does bring up another point i forgot on water/meth injection. Mine goes in before the sc according to what was recommended by devil injection systems and ...well i no longer have teflon coating on the rotors
so i would probobly second that. Hense i think the killer chiller is a better alternative. Only alittle more money and you dont have to refill the system. Once its there your done.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Agree totally and I can tell you for a fact tht if your run meth before the charger you WILL take the coating off period you can run straight water and be fine but wheres the fun in tht. I fitted the 3 pound stainless steel pulley last night anf car is going together. Should be interesting to see

Quick Reply: Question for AVOS twin screw