XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Question for AVOS twin screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I have the Twin Screw kit on my car. If you are ever in the Boston area let me know. It is the best thing you can do to that car. I went thru all the mods, pulleys, porting larger radiators etc. Save your money & install the kit, the longer you wait the madder you will be once it is installed. There is only one other mod I would recomend to you, install a 3.77 pozi diff.
Long over due question here, since I have only been hearing about your install second hand:

How long did it take you to get your TS to run the way you wanted it to? I should have asked you much more about this yesterday before I riled up the Klan...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Newby the ts should be amazing but remember one of the roots biggest pro or con if you dont like buying tires is nothing beats its off idle torque not ts, not turbo, not centri. I personally love the way it throws me back in the seat.

Tell ya what since i already have a 2.6H kb at home if Avos will sell me all the other pieces I need I will do a step by step install for you and let you see how easily it goes in. An then I can dyno, 1/4 mile test, and such as Im sure many people are curious how it transforms the cars performance.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Newby the ts should be amazing but remember one of the roots biggest pro or con if you dont like buying tires is nothing beats its off idle torque not ts, not turbo, not centri. I personally love the way it throws me back in the seat.

Tell ya what since i already have a 2.6H kb at home if Avos will sell me all the other pieces I need I will do a step by step install for you and let you see how easily it goes in. An then I can dyno, 1/4 mile test, and such as Im sure many people are curious how it transforms the cars performance.
That would be "ideal". If that happens,when I am able, I may then AGAIN, try to ride your coat tails.

If you ever need a kidney...

Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Newby
That would be "ideal". If that happens,when I am able, I may then AGAIN, try to ride your coat tails.

If you ever need a kidney...
I think both of mine are still doing well LOL but ill keep it in mind haha.

An no need to be on my coat tails it would be fun to show everyone and quit with all the speculation I for one love to drag race n dyno so i will have plenty of fun

Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

@Newby,
The TS kit is almost a bolt on kit which is why I say dyi to the kit. You do have to make some small mods here and there. In total, pending the stage, you need to reserve about 18 to 19 hours of work. I have done many cars now in this amount of time (these times are also confirmed by a shop I use int the UK who does the installations there), and I am not the fastest mechanic, but also not the slowest of course.

There are no issues with the kit nor doesn’t one have to do any tweaking/tuning so in that sense it is a straight bolt on.

Jgaxkr did indeed had some issues though as being one of the first unfortunately, ranging from wrong bolts send to some serious ones with the TB/Electronics.

Mainly my own fault as I made a big mistake here; he wanted to have the kit as fast as possible, and to save time for him I have let the electronics for the TB come straight to him instead of first to me so I could test/verify.

We had an issue with the first control unit, somehow the quality control wasn’t good. They made a new one and also to save time we had send it directly to jgaxkr, but a design change made with the idea to improve the unit caused another issue. It took very long to diagnose from remote, once I had the unit myself I saw it in 5 minutes. The design got corrected and has been functioning ever since for all (In the meantime jgaxkr could drive with a stock tb unit, I provided him an adaptor for that).

I can assure you I will never send out items anymore before I have tested them myself!

Next the 90mm TB from BBK wasn’t trustworthy mechanically and also electronically (showed up already after 1 to 2000 miles on mine), and I have had serious conversations with that supplier, and even pointed them to a design issue of their unit from which I thought was the root cause. Was very disappointed with them, as they were not responsive nor admitted anything so decided to drop them. At least they took back the units without charge. Since then I have a very professional unit chosen, top quality and none have ever shown any issues, and they also last. They even make some small adjustments for me to the unit so it will fit easier.

Now I do require if you do an installation yourself that you are mechanically inclined, and preferably are able to confidently work on jaguar engines. I do have a comprehensive manual with lots of pictures that show how to install the kit, but I only show the specifics for the TS kit, and do not include basic Jtis information as that is what I expect one to know. Of course I will always help as much as I can.

The mods you are actually trying to install now (pulleys/meth kit/chiller killer, porting) are by no means easier then installing the kit ;-)

@Xjr-0220
Am not inclined to start working with secondhand units, although I know they will last very long and you can have them refurbished, it could introduce issues and I prefer only to work with new ones where I know what the results will be, sorry. But I think you should be able to sell it at a good price though, and as I already get very good price for the units, the difference there isn't that big anymore.

The unit does also require some machining and I get the units already this way, in addition you also need to install the front cover in a special way, of which I have a special tool so it’s aligned perfectly.

Last edited by avos; 06-13-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member

Until then I am only doing the very few small bolt on mods of pulley, intake, water injection, and killer chiller.
Just a comment on water/Meth kits and Chiller killer I need to mention, however please note I do not have any direct experience with these myself.

First of all, these are not required with the Kit I have, am also not using it myself, although it can help again if you want to go much further. But this road will give you more tweaking and tuning than just the TS kit.

Some googgling has taught me that maybe a combination of both might be risky. It is important that the meth droplets do change status to vapor, this could already happen before the combustion chamber or during combustion. The risk I found is that if that doesn’t happen, the methanol droplets could wash away the oil from the cylinder walls, which causes excessive wear. The cause would be not just the intercooler to which the droplets could form, but even more so if the intercoolers are colder than ambient from the chiller killer which causes condensation.

This is also one of the reasons one advised to put the nozzles before the supercharger, but that is not advisable again as the methanol will cause corrosion on the aluminum lobes and could also cause premature bearing wear.

So you might want to do more research here imho.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
Andre's R&D and dyno's already posted aren't to be doubted.

Obviously there's other's that can do the conversion - Buckhead imports? still waiting for something, anything on their 'project'......Eurotoy's, chat to them about dyno figures too, but understand it's not in the same league.

What I find impressive is the fact his kit has done over 100k miles, without issue. Once I find an XKR to play with I'm ordering....
Thanks, and if you go for a XKR and you want to keep the stock ECU (and other stock computers), go for an AJ27 one, that will give the most possibilities to go berserk. Otherwise it doesn’t matter of course.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

just my .02:

my stock eaton m112 was so out of whack at only 67,000 miles that the lobes were bashing into each other on the inside, had to get new internals and bearings and all that.

if the kit is good for 100,000 miles, it is more reliable than stock!

the kenne bell superchargers are made for intense applications, look on youtube, there are tons of 2003-2004 mustang cobras that have double the hp of stock. the people with these mustangs are beating the crap out of them every day and the kenne bell can take it.

The "gentle" setup of the kenne bell on the XJR should be good for a very long time. It's overkill, but that just means you are never pushing it very hard, so it will last a long time. Somewhat like if you had a warehouse air conditioner hooked up to a 2000 sq foot house, it would have no problem making your house whatever temp you want.

A kenne bell on an XJR will have no problem making your speed whatever you want.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM

@Avos
I did not know that the kenny bell had to be modified and the one I currently have is brand new never been used. The one I had procurred used before this one was deemed too small and i did not like the sound of the bearings so I sold it. But with that being said PM me your thoughts and price for a kit as well as shipment time meaning after payment has been made when will you be able to ship. I have a whole summer of drag racing Id like to get started with an having 500+ on tap sounds sweet.

@JaguarXJR02
This is acually very uncommon the roots is known for its durability, reliablity, and robust build. The kenny bell in my opinion is a superior design and to me I think if you have the ability and the money its the better route.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Well this is turning out very nicely after all.

If xjr-0220 is able to get his going and share his results, then I am sold on the TS , I just would need to finish with my current and near future planned projects of rehabbing a few rental properties I am in the process of buying right now.

With the water/meth kit. I am planning on running 100% water (no meth) before the TB. I did this (water only) years ago on my mustang supercharged 5.0 with good effect. Thank you again for the advice, it is ALWAYS appreciated.

The problems I heard about, secondhand must have been due to the TB sensors, so I am very happy to hear that has been worked out. I would have no problem following a set of instructions, and even if it took me 40 hours to install the TS, I would be happy with that.

Last edited by Newby; 06-13-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

So what happened to "I must see it run on the dyno with my own eyes"?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by SteveM
So what happened to "I must see it run on the dyno with my own eyes"?
My nice answer:

I've spoken via phone with xjr-0220 and completely trust he will give me a completely honest account of his TS experience, so that would suffice to put any of my concerns to rest, and I am sure he would oblige to post a video or two

Steve M, just curious, did you know about these specific TB/electronics issues before now? if no, would you now agree there were significant and frustrating challenges that Jagxkr faced that were valid cause for my previously voiced concerns?

Last edited by Newby; 06-13-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM

Because Avos or anyone else with a twin screw is untrustworthy

That's good that you changed your mind because Jags with twin screws are rare and if you did find someone, they might not want to put it on the dyno just so you could see it.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM

I'll give you just one snarky reply,

Ok then, no snarky reply it is...

Everyone friends again?

Last edited by Newby; 06-13-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: removed snarky reply :)
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (07-27-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM

I have other things on my mind at night, lol

That's why I make sure to put smiley faces so people know I'm just messing with them and not take things the hard way.

The following 2 users liked this post by SteveM:
Newby (06-13-2012), Panthro (07-27-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Avos and Jagxkr are well respected and both do a great job I dont think their integrity was ever at question Steve and why is it if someone wants to see something that will cost as much if not more than the car itself questioning someones intergrity?? Jagxkr hasnt been on a dyno so he cant substantiate the claims, and he DID have quite a few problems which he himself told me about and it was quite some time before he got it all working properly. All these things are something someone who is not in a position to wait or have to fab parts up has right to be concerned with. Avos has explained what happened and tht is tht I had inquired about avos kit a long time ago VERY interested but at the time he said he did not have one for the 98 or 99 and tht he had no timeline as to when he would. He relayed alot of concerns I would have to address which were much appreciated and so hence until I had more time to devote to it I put it on the back burner.

Both Avos and Jagxkr are all over thunderkittens threads demanding results, and sorry but whats being done to tht car if Avos can achieve 520 rwhp on stock engine then with what thunder is doing an going twin screw 700 wheel is very feasible. But everyone thinks its totally cool to rip all over him cause he talks bout his car whats being done and what the planned result is.Iif it doesnt turn out how he says ok who cares not like ur buying these parts yet or its any of our money hes spending. This is his project just like all my ideas and such, which i have proof they work even though all i have been told is "its all been done and dont work" crap in my threads well then either the guys trying it were complete morons or they didnt design and flow it properly cus so far everything i have done has shown a measureable difference some more than others.

But God forbid we ask to see any proof from Avos or jagxkr i looked though Avos thread and only vid i could find was a 2nd gear flooring which to me didnt look fast i couldnt hear any TS and thts what sucks its hard to do a vid urself while driving I dont blame Avos for not doing one he should have someone else vid for him tht way he can concentrate on driving, I saw a pic an yes theres a bypass in the back i can see but not much else for all i know the KB could not even be in there.I think his car is all he says but im not the one asking the questions either. I can go to the dyno and print off any guys dyno result and post it and say it was mine. This day and age its all to easy to fake results so it shows intelligence and savy for someone to question. I have asked twice now for avos to pm me with a price and how long to get the kit together and if its a good price great I will wire the money and I will video a from start to finish install, then a videoed dyno result, and a 1/4 mile result. If newby wants to see me do it he can come this way it would be a nice weekend and he could see drive and dyno the car himself.

But all i see is guys jumping down Newbys throat saying hes attacking avos and his integrity. Well not so if you want to send 6 to 8000 dollars to europe without proof and no guarentee you will even get anything go ahead. I think hes just trying to be smart about it. So far all his plans are easy cheap things tht do make a difference and if anything will enhance a TS system.

I just dont know why Avos feels its ok to discourage someone and their ideas like me, thunderkitten or anyone else for that matter that dont jump in the TS bandwagon and say negitive things. But gets bothered when his things are questioned, i mean all I said was 2 kits are installed and his reply is all hush hush. I dont divulge who i put kits on and so he has 2 he can show results from his which is all the way in europe and the ONLY one in the states which has not been dynoed, run at the track, an had many problems to get running right, everyone else is MIA.Does his system work great well from what jagxkr says hell yeah and I believe him but would be nice to see as well wish i lived closer and could check it out. Is Avos full of it I think the guy is a smart as hell, a great fab guy, and has a killer system but these are my own thoughts and as such I have right to them as does anyone else tht wants to question. I seriously think alot of CROW will be served up shortly as Thunderkitten, who I dont personally know or talk too just followed his ideas and thread, will have a killer car may cost an arm an a leg but hell its his money.Will all my ideas work probably not have some of them hell yeah and on a good noticable scale. Will i get my 420 rwhp mark with the roots maybe maybe not. if I dont who gives a **** its my money my time and if I can bring something new an idea or a part someone wants to copy great thts what these forums are suppose to be about.... "SUPPORTfor one another" not oh something new an different u suck, wont work, your wrong. So with all tht said lets remember respect and something most our mothers taught us "If u cant say something nice dont say anything at all."

Last edited by XJR-0220; 06-13-2012 at 10:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XJR-0220:
Brutal (06-13-2012), Panthro (07-27-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM

I'll give you just one snarky reply,

Ok then, no snarky reply it is...

Everyone friends again?

Aww, come on man, you gotta stop changing and adding stuff after someone replies to your post.

Now my comment about others things on my mind at night doesn't work so well

Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SteveM
Aww, come on man, you gotta stop changing and adding stuff after someone replies to your post.

Now my comment about others things on my mind at night doesn't work so well

Dont lie steve you know all thats on ur mind at night is whether you should use the left or right this time LMAO wait you can sit on it for 20 mins and do the stranger. yes when im out the fields away from the woman have to get creative hahaha

Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

^^^^POST #56.nice, there are very few around here that step out into a black hole when it comes to custom mods like this stuff. Something ive done for decades and when concerning my current nissan project everything exept the super charger kit from stillen, has all been custom. And that kit has been heavily modified and changed. Ive broke stuff and had stuff not work and not lived up to what i thought they should, but still going and its all part of the fun. Ive got a spun rod bearing i just found this morning on the engine and no biggy and easy fix(compared to broke piston rods etc )
i think many of us get our feathers ruffled when our integrity is questioned, and many times not ment deragatorily by the person doing the questioning. This has turned into a great thread as the many others like it around here have and i always encourage people to do more and step out of the norm.
Newby, based on what youve said youve done in the past........youre more than capable. So when time comes there will be more than a few here to help
cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Newby (06-13-2012), Panthro (07-27-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Dont lie steve you know all thats on ur mind at night is whether you should use the left or right this time LMAO wait you can sit on it for 20 mins and do the stranger. yes when im out the fields away from the woman have to get creative hahaha
No, ha ha ha; I have a another definition of "twin screw"

I can bust Avos' and Jgaxkr's ***** as well.

Jgaxkr said he's "old school and doesn't want to put his car on the dyno because he's afraid to break it" or something like that. Lol.

Avos pokes at Thundercat for taking so long but he was working on the twin screw kit for much longer.

And Thundercat better make some serious power. 200 hp per liter is nothing special nowadays.

Quick Reply: Question for AVOS twin screw