XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Question for AVOS twin screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

@SteveM/XJR-0220
I'll never say something to discourage, but do give my thoughts if someone is claiming unrealistic things.

Thunderkitten was actually challenging me. In April 2011 he shouted of the roofs that he would have within 8 weeks the most power full car there would be, can remember it was even in the 700 rwhp or so. He had a deal with a professional tuner company that would be able to make lots of power, better than anyone else, and at better costs. I think he actually wanted just to beat me in power, so here you can see that even if I would have tried to discourage, it would have never worked. Tell mne something can't be done, and I feel the urge to try it LoL.

So you need to put some remarks from me in perspective as it became more a fun game due to him challenging me.

Thunderkitten is building a completely different car, where everything is more based on raw power, and as it seems money is no objection. I have had a completely different approach, and that is to develop as cost effective and efficient possible setup, it should give the most bang for the buck yet retain as much as possible the GT qualities of my car.

So far Thunderkitten hasn't shown anything, but this all is also not rocket science, so one day he will probably have a very powerfull car as you say.

PS The first kit I made was in a couple of weeks actually (prototype 1.7L tiny screw), and I continued based on what also came availble until I was satisfied it would be good. that I could share it with others.
I could/can only make changes to my car in the weekends, during the week I required my car as my daily driver, so that serioulsy hinders any speedy development.

Last edited by avos; 06-13-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

@Xjr-0220
You have my private mail, so if you want to go ahead, just contact me.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think we can all appreciate some well intentioned rivalries here. Growth, invention and innovation often thrives on rivalries.

Ideally we keep moving the ball forward, and not waste energy in poking each other in the eye.

I meant no disrespect to AVOS and was not at all questioning his integrity. It is standard procedure to ask for reviews of products by consumers. If people did not know about the electronics issues and were breathing down my neck about unfounded doubts, you may now go redeem yourselves by sucking on an egg.

It has now come from the horses mouth directly that the difficulties and potential frustrating road blocks DID EXIST, have now been dealt with, and after XJR-0220 gets the goodies AVOS has developed through his sweat and smarts, there will likely be at least 3 AVOS twin screw kits in the USA this time next year.

This forum, and the people on it, have been immensely helpful. There are already too many people to list (without sounding like an awards ceremony) who have helped me lots, even including those whose exchanges with me on the board have been "catty" in recent times-(Steve M- this means you!) have generously given me useful information.

This forum is immensely helpful for the newby as well as those who are on the cutting edge developing their own, newer and better designs. It is my opinion that XJR-0220 has developed functionally the best intake I've seen, and some of the other not yet revealed work will be super informative/effective in major advancements as well. Clearly AVOS wins the prize when it comes to the twin screw. Thundercat's car no doubt will have been worth the wait (and it is progressing as we speak/write/read this) Jagxjr's car is worthy of emulation, and the list goes on and on.

The goal here is clear and is being achieved: Continue to advance the state of the art of these Jag mods, power levels, etc

Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Well i will have to admit to not knowing about thundercats braisen claims and boasts I can only go off what ive seen which was every post tht he did was followed by avos and jgnxrk calling him out and it looked like he would get fed up distressed saddened and go quiet or say stuff like whats your guys problems. So maybe it started off all innocent but looks like its gone to far now and hurts his feelings. I say this cause the guy use to post all the time and now its very rare to see him post up.

I will email you in just a sec avos and see what we can do as for getting this kit coming and I can be the american poster boy for ya LOL.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220

I will email you in just a sec avos and see what we can do as for getting this kit coming and I can be the american poster boy for ya LOL.
You're too late, I think that title belongs to Jgaxkr

Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

On the contrary XJR-0220, I have been actually positive in the last posts to him and also to his tuner about the headers. I am sure if he would have something to post he would not hesitate to do so, don't forget he is without his car for more than a year now, I would probably also post less. Am sure he will be back ;-)

Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 PM

This may be true I have not seen anything from u or as of late but I am quite excited to see his project come to light. I am sure hes more excited but after all the money and over a year Id be quite pissed with buckhead I would want some results by now LOL

An Steve you can only be the poster boy if your out there getting numbers, racing, showing it off. So neener neener neener I think i can still have the title cus John says hes old school you can and dont want to play in the reindeer games LOL.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

BTW, to XJR-0220 or anyone else who's interested: I've heard we will soon know how well Avos' twin screw kit will work on the AJ26 XJR. Like in a week or two.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SteveM
BTW, to XJR-0220 or anyone else who's interested: I've heard we will soon know how well Avos' twin screw kit will work on the AJ26 XJR. Like in a week or two.
This is awesome news Im very excited to hear the news

Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
This is awesome news Im very excited to hear the news

I'm wondering too since I also have an AJ26 based setup. I need to ask Andre how much his TS setup is as it is one of the options I'm contemplating.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Avos is very quick to get back to u and im sure you will be quite shocked at the low cost versus some of the mediocue thrown together twin screw setups out there not naming names lol but sure you guys can figure it out. the guys tht are only in it for the money

Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

May I ask the price tag of a twin screw kit?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM

He willl discuss that privately through PM or email

Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Newby
Not doubting Avos's car runs well. I'm sure it does after what must have been thousands of hours of R&D. The question for me really is, would a twin screw work for me, given that I am not an R&D guy, so for me to find value in spending the 100 Euros to get a dyno, it would make sense if it was someone here in the states, who bought the kit, and was able to, within a short amount of time, say a week or 3, get it to run without problems.

Given the cost of the TS, for me it would have to work kind of out of the box, and I would have to have seen that done, near me.

I am grateful for the major advances AVOS has made here, he has certainly moved the ball far down the field for us. I am hopeful, when circumstances make this a real possibility for me (cash and time wise, as I am this week finishing negotiations on some income property I want to buy which will take all my time and money for the next god knows how many months), that, in the coming year or so a few of these kits have met the above requirements which would allow me to take the plunge, confidently.

Seeing another dyno from someone who has spent god knows how many hours tweaking it doesn't really address my concerns..

My real question was is this really feasible, for me, in the near future.

At this point in time, from what I am hearing, is that there are many small issues that are stopping people, who are far, far more mechanically inclined than I am, from successfully driving their cars with this kit.

The bottom line for me is, I need to see one and talk to the person who bought the kit and installed it themselves. It is one thing for NASA to send a person to orbit and back, it is another for them to sell the kit to do the same, that is all I am saying.

Since I may be in the market for one of these in a year or so, I just wanted to get hard facts from people who have successfully added the TS to their cars, preferrably drive or ride in that car, and see it on the dyno with my own eyes. We are likely talking about $8000 by the time all is said and done (I would have to pay for a little mechanical help for sure). For that kind of money, I would want some assurances that it is tried and true...I just don't think it is there just yet, for us non NASA types, that is. I expect progress will continue to be made to this end. Jagxkr apparently has his working, but I'm hearing it took a loooonnnng time to work the bugs out, and I dare say he has far superior knowledge of these things than me, has a really gifted fabricator he is working with, and worked and worked it. I still would like to hear what numbers he has gotten from the dyno (Why are these not happily given??) I'm sure his car is an absolute rocket.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9fV...CPOi3eEM&pli=1

I have attached to a link to the write up in Jaguar Monthly (which is available in this country). It was the high praise from Norman & his constant bragging as to how fast his car is, that got me interested in the kit. I kept reading about the car on XKEC forum. I contacted Andre & told him I was interested & that I wanted the most possible power. It was me trying to push the outer limits that caused some delays. That being said it was without a doubt the best mod I have ever done. I may some day dyno my car but I am still not finnished with my mods.

The back & forth about dyno runs is nothing but a smoke screen or excuse not to buy the kit. This is so typical everyone is interested in the performance mods until it comes time to pay. I have followed the Jaguar forums for a long time. If you look around on this forum how many people have actually spent the money on real performance upgrades? The reality is very few. I am not talking about pulleys or custom made exhausts, but some of the things that actually cost thousands of dollars. I saw a post about Buckhead's exhaust headers. Everyone complained about the price, the reality is they had to have spent a lot of time on R&D. If you want to play like a sport you have to pay like a sport.

Newby if you want a car that will out run a 5.0 XKR stop the excuses & just do it. If you can't afford it just say so. With regard to XJR-0220 he talks a great game but has never come thru with anything as far as results are concerned ( including my missing supercharger). Remember you get what you pay for in life. If you are serious just buy the kit & enjoy what will be like having a new car.

The following 2 users liked this post by JgaXkr:
Panthro (07-27-2012), Sean B (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the link. Interesting article. That guy has the bug bad...

The reason people like to see dyno numbers is that everyone thinks that there car is "fast"

My neighbors honda is "fast" in his opinion.

Fast is a very subjective description, so the only way to compare apples to apples is to use numbers, and the only way to have reliable numbers is to use a dyno.
Without dyno results, or any performance figures, 0-60, 1/4 mile etc, all I hear is talk.

I would have thought this was obvious...

As to my "excuses"
I've only owned a XJR for 2 weeks and am just starting my research.
I bought a neighbors XJ8 this January on a lark, liked it, but wanted more power, so I gave it to my wife and bought another Blue Zircon Jag, this time a XJR
I like to make "evidence" based decisions and since few people are showing their results, I'm going to have to do more work to get my own data
I believe that things are unproven until they are proven
I'm seeing several probable cost effective routs to be able to reach 400 RWHP, which is all I really want.

I am going to do and post my before and after figures 0-60, 1/4 mile, dyno so that others can benefit from my experience. This will be my contribution to this board that has overall been very helpful.

Last edited by Newby; 06-15-2012 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (07-27-2012)