XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Question From Older Owner Looking at XJ's.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question From Older Owner Looking at XJ's.

Hi guys,

I have a question. It's a subjective one.

When looking at an older Jag (2000-2003) is it very possible or even "common" that some would have some seepage of oil around the pan? (Not enough to drip on the floor even when parked). I'm looking at XJs and XJRs and sometimes I wonder if I am looking for a unicorn of an older jaguar that is super dry and for a reasonable price. Thoughts? Thank you.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 614 Posts

There should be no signs of oil seepage on a Jaguar of this era that has been cared for.

These cars are close to 20 years old and there have been reports in some instances of leakage from the valve cover gaskets, which is a relatively easy thing to fix, other than that I can't think of a common oil leak problem.

As for "reasonable price", high mileage daily drivers can be had for a couple of thousand dollars, well cared for examples around $5K-8K, and garage queens $10K-$14K.

The most common problems are the OEM plastic timing chain tensioners which should be replaced with the later upgraded MKIII metal type. (a major job). The plastic thermostat housing on naturally aspirated XJ8s should be replaced with a metal type. It is wise to replace the early plastic-vaned water pump. The heater hoses run under the intake manifold and can leak after 20 years or so, (a job of average difficulty). The front shock-mounts deteriorate with this amount of time and may need to be replaced, but is an easy job. If the shocks are original they probably need to be replaced, (the fronts are easy to do, the rears, not so much). The center drive shaft carrier bearing can deteriorate with time, evidence of this is a vibration at 50mph-70mph. (a job of average difficulty).

These cars were very expensive when new and are of a high quality, but they are now 20 years old and need dedicated ownership, like any car of this age and era, but a well maintained example is a pleasure to own and can be had for a "reasonable price".

If you do jump in there is always plenty of willing help and advice here on the forum.

CK

The following users liked this post:
Ronco1 (10-01-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 867 Posts

Most people disregard what I’m going to advise you to do. Whatever car your really interested in, BEFORE you buy, have a trusted shop that specializes in these cars take a good look at it before going any further. Pay the 1 hour labor to throughly check them out. Even ask them to drive the car for their opinion. Have them write you an estimate on all repairs so you know what your getting into. It’s money well spent.

The following 2 users liked this post by Addicted2boost:
Carnival Kid (09-26-2020), Coventrywood (09-26-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 907 Likes on 741 Posts

Note well, the comment on cam cover gaskets leaking -- but this should be obvious from a careful examination. I have found over the years that oil pan gaskets will harden over time: on my last XJ8L, light oil seepage easily fixed by tightening the pan bolts. Five minute job on a lift. Worst I ever had was a brand new Cadillac Seville: lousy gaskets, leaked from new. BMWs leak too; mostly from cam gaskets, but overtime, some seepage from pan (not attributed to sloppy oil and filter changes).

Old 09-28-2020, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 706 Posts

As mentioned, the valve cover gaskets are a common leak point. The design actually depends on a bunch of little rubber grommets under each bolt head rather than any specific torque setting to hold tension on the gasket. I don't know what "durometer" specification these grommets are supposed to be, but they do lose their elasticity over time and some aftermarket gasket sets are softer than the originals and don't last as long. Its relatively easy to change though and I've done them a few times.

Mine started leaking oil from just about everywhere between 15 and 17 years old which was also between about 105,000 and 117,000 miles, but I think its more age related than mileage. I lived with it for a while, but the drips eventually became puddles. Upon pulling the motor, I found there was a large plug on the back of the motor between the engine and transmission that had worked loose. Researching here it seemed there were numerous reports of the same thing happening to others. I did not have any leaks around any of the static gaskets on the block, but the front main seal and that plug at the back of the motor were leaking. I just tore the motor down and replaced everything. Its tighter than the International Space Station now.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

Thank you for some info. I am once again a happy Jaguar owner as I purchased an '03 XJ8. I like the way these cars feel, drive and look. Arguably the best looking sedan ever made in my humble opinion. I will be visiting the forum and look forward to being a part of the community.