XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Quick question on tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick question on tensioners

I am considering purchasing a 99 XJ8 with 72K miles.

I have read a lot about the issue with the secondary tensioners on the pre-02 XJ8s. This task is well within my abilities.

However, the more I dig, it appears the primary tensioners are an issue, as well. Is that correct?

In other words, are the primary and secondary tensioners on 98-01 XJ8s plastic?

If so, then I have to rethink my offer.

Thanks in advance and thanks to all who have contributed. This is a great forum.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Both the primary and secondary tensioners were plastic up until August '01 at the start of the '02 MY. My '02, however, was assembled in June '01 and had the plastic tensioners.

The failure rate on the primary tensioners is pretty low compared to the secondary ones. Personally, I think it has everything to do with the head temp vs the much cooler lower position of the primary ones.

. . . and welcome to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
Earsti (03-29-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

youve sold too many nice cars to get help,,,but here goes.. you really only need to do uppers(secondary) not primary unless your upper chain has eaten a plastic upper tensioner shoe between the chain and sprocket. if so replace the cahins and do the whole job, dont skimp, ive see too many people take that chance only to later have the upper chain snap and take out the motor

Earsti (03-29-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Just finished a complete component swap on my '01 XJ8. No indications of an issue until my wife returned from a x-country trip from TX to VA and back. At that point only indication was a noticeable knock under the bell on the passenger side valve cover. I had some time so I pulled the timing cover and did an inspection before I ordered parts (figured the cost of a new gasket was at least worth the knowledge of knowing if the components were good). Chains were in great shape, thank God, as the pass side secondary chain tension was the only thing holding the tensioner together. Free of the restriction of the chain, the tensioner basically exploded. The body of the tensioner had split top to bottom, bottom shoe was gone- chain had worn grooves into the metal base, all retaining mechanisms in the unit were blown so the spring unloaded and the whole thing just fell apart. The secondary on the drivers side was in better shape overall, but the body had begun to split in similar fashion and was showing same wear as the other. First generation primary tensioners are designed to work differently, but are fabricated exactly the same as the commonly failing secondary units (both of mine had multiple fractures in the plastic body). The chain guides or rails that are used on the primary chains appear to have some internal metal bracing but my best description is that they are 90% constructed of the same plastic material used in the tensioners, I've seen pictures of units still installed that have brokent completely in half (all of mine had at least 4-5 significant failure points in them. NEW Components are night and day different. Tensioners are metal housing with nylon shoes on the the posts of the secondary units and full metal constructon on the primary. Guides are visible metal rails with a nylon face to allow the chain to slide. Do a Google search for Chris's Foriegn auto parts, they had the best prices on parts I could find.

Earsti (03-29-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM

@test point. Thanks.

@brutal. LOL. I really miss that 63 split window. But it beat you to hell with it's ride. The 66 GT was fun, too. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Goat, but my body is telling me otherwise. I really need four doors, a bigger trunk, and a softer ride. Doesn't mean I can't go in style, does it?

@bluerdg. I have been following your thread. Thanks for the input.

This would be my daily driver (replacing my Goat) and my thoughts are if I need to do the secondaries, then I could do it over the weekend. No problem. Now the primaries, is another story. It would be at least a three day job, if not four.

With only 72K on the clock, there is not an immediate need. But I'd rather do it when I want to, not when I have to.

And you're right brutal. If I have to do it, do it right, and do it once.

Thanks, all.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm usually the If you do it - do it right type of guy as well.
But I have to confess that I just changed the secondaries and keep the rest.

The thing is that with a failure of the secondaries you'll definitely risk your engine!
IF the primaries should fail you'll be warned by chain slapping long before serious damage to the engine occurs.

I am the only one who drives the Jag, and I am very sensitive to strange noises and behaviour from the engine/transmission/suspension...
If it was my wife's car (she would definitely not notice ANY noises) I would probably have done the whole job, just to be on the (very) safe side.

Changing the secondary tensioners using the zip-tie-method was an easy task of 4 hours total.
Parts have been less than 300$ (all gaskets included).

David

Last edited by DavidN; 03-29-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Earsti (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM

David,

When I read your post on the zip-tie method, I thought that would be the way to go for the uppers. Something that could be done on a Saturday afternoon.

And considering the risk of damage, it's something I would tackle as soon as practical, if I buy the 99.

Thanks for your input.