XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

R1

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R1

Does anyone know how many XJR models received the "R1" package? Is there any way to find the numbers?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar...numbers.5B3.5D

Looks to be 500.

Last edited by King Charles; 01-22-2017 at 01:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Meredith.marton (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

There were 500 XJR-100s built, all had the R1 package as well as many other base XJRs so the number is higher then 500. I don't know if there is any such record of which ones out there had it.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:14 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Slight mistake on Wikipedia, the "R1" package did not include a "re-tuned" suspension.
While it is true that the front hub carrier (vertical link) has a different part number for the "R1" package, it is in fact the exact same one than non R1 with the only "difference" being closer tolerance on the drilling/tapping for the caliper mounting holes
Reason being the the brembo are fixed calipers compared to the normal floating ones
That by itself do not qualify as "re-tuned" suspension

Old 01-22-2017, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Wikipedia is a source "by the people" i.e. It is changed and contributed by Internet users which means it is never the "gospel" and is usually full of errors.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Key wording in my post "looks to be".

Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 PM

Thank you all for your input...from what I have asked around about the R1 package was a dealer only option at the time and only available in the United States...I just don't know where or how to inquire about numbers...

Old 01-22-2017, 07:54 PM
luc

Originally Posted by Meredith.marton
Thank you all for your input...from what I have asked around about the R1 package was a dealer only option at the time and only available in the United States...I just don't know where or how to inquire about numbers...
I'm sure that the "R1" option was also offered in ROW ( Rest Of World). UK, Germany, are 2 that come to mind.
As for the US, quite a few cars, especially in 02 and 03 came from England with the R1 package so it was not really a dealer option save for the fact that dealer had "R" with and without the R1 package
I will venture that no R1 package came to the US in 98 and 99, a few in 00 and 01 and quite a lot in 02 and 03
BTW, very few people know that they were really 2 choice of colors for the Milan wheels, Oyster and silver.
all the brochure and advertising in the US show the oyster only.
But I don't remember seeing any R1 with the silver wheel at the various jaguar dealership.
I retrofitted the R1 package, with silver Milan, on my 01 XJR and it was quite a process, mostly due to the fact that the dealers insisted that i had to change my front hub carriers/vertical links, which is BS, even if they have a different part #

Last edited by luc; 01-22-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:09 PM

Thank you for your input...I'm sure that was quite the retrofit to the R1 package...the Mercedes 5g tonic trans..the whole exhaust system...the brembo brakes...the shocks and reprogramming of the ecu and transmission shift points...wow must have been quite the expense

Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Default The "R1" package

Ok here goes...this should put to rest any questions about the XJR "R1" package....
In late 2001 when Ford had controlling interest in Jaguar
The XJR model became available with a "R" performance package...this package was only available in the USA as EPA regulations prevented this in other areas of the world..also Ford is an American company so obviously...blah blah blah...the package has as follows...Mercedes 5gtronic transmission...stainless exhaust system...reprogrammed ECU and transmission
Retuned suspension.."stiffer"...brembo brakes and cross drilled rotors...BBS Milan wheels to clear the large brakes..."R" badging to indicate the package on 3 places on the car...the left and right fenders under the the jag emblem and the trunk under the jag emblem...a different shift knob....silver with gold "supercharged" decal..also this package was a dealer only option at the time..it is known as the "R1" because it was the first gen of the performance package with r2 r3 r4 etc. Being the subsequent package of the years following...the "R1" is a short lived package as the end of the production year soon followed and significant body redesigns were introduced the very next year...if there are any questions I will be happy to reply as I actually in real life own one..it is platinum silver and is fast as f** thank you for asking

Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

The merc transmission is used on all supercharged x308's. Also, the EPA is a US agency, so it'd make it harder to bring uptuned cars into the states, not the other way around. Also, it doesn't make sense to start a new thread on the same topic as the thread you posted on r1 packages before this..

Old 01-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Received 13,090 Likes on 6,522 Posts

Hi Meredith.Martin,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I have merged your second thread with your first since they are on the same topic and keeping all the posts in the same thread helps avoid confusion and duplicate responses.

At your earliest opportunity, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-22-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:00 PM
luc

Ok here goes...this should put to rest any questions about the XJR "R1" package....
In late 2001 when Ford had controlling interest in Jaguar
The XJR model became available with a "R" performance package...this package was only available in the USA as EPA regulations prevented this in other areas of the world..also Ford is an American company so obviously...blah blah blah...the package has as follows...Mercedes 5gtronic transmission...stainless exhaust system...reprogrammed ECU and transmission
Retuned suspension.."stiffer"...brembo brakes and cross drilled rotors...BBS Milan wheels to clear the large brakes..."R" badging to indicate the package on 3 places on the car...the left and right fenders under the the jag emblem and the trunk under the jag emblem...a different shift knob....silver with gold "supercharged" decal..also this package was a dealer only option at the time..it is known as the "R1" because it was the first gen of the performance package with r2 r3 r4 etc. Being the subsequent package of the years following...the "R1" is a short lived package as the end of the production year soon followed and significant body redesigns were introduced the very next year...if there are any questions I will be happy to reply as I actually in real life own one..it is platinum silver and is fast as f** thank you for asking
Don't know where you got those information but it is just completely wrong and BS ( may be we should call that a"alternative facts")

Let start from the beginning:
R1 was NOT a dealer option. Dealer option mean that it was an option installed by the dealer and the R1 was installed at the factory in England.

Here is an all inclusive list of what made the R1 option in the US
1/ Milan wheels
2/ Brembo calipers
3/ Larger, cross-drilled front and rear Brembo rotors
4/ Braided stainless steel brake lines
5/ Bigger front and rear brake dust shields
6/ Front up links with different part # because threaded holes instead of plain for caliper mounting bolts
7/ Different front calipers mounting bolts

Nothing else. I'm really curious where you got your info from?????

Last edited by luc; 01-22-2017 at 10:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z07Brandon (09-22-2019)
Old 01-23-2017, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
...may be we should call that a"alternative facts

Old 01-23-2017, 02:33 AM

Funny...as that I am the only one here that actually owns one I will be happy to answer any questions you.may have

Old 01-23-2017, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Someone stuck those "R" emblems on your car, that's not an "option" by any stretch. I had some guy selling his XJR here in Jax try to pass off his XJR with those things stuck on it as something "special" he finally fessed up he'd ordered them and slapped them on as he thought it looked cool. Daft is more like it. Here's a link with pictures of an actual "R1" equipped XJR, notice the absence of the "ebay" "R" badges. It also shows the option on the window sticker which is NOT dealer installed. Dealer install items use a supplemental decal http://www.mcsmk8.com/01-XJR/JAG.html.

Last edited by JTsmks; 01-23-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 AM
luc

Funny...as that I am the only one here that actually owns one I will be happy to answer any questions you.may have
I already asked you where did you got your wrong information from?
Obviously, you having an R1, and as your posts show, do not make you an expert on those cars.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:40 AM
luc

OK, I've figured out where you got your info from: the person that sold you the car or you made it up.
The giveaway was the description of a "different shift knob, silver with gold decal."
Its exactly the picture of the shifter than you have in your car

You got very lucky, you scored the only XJR R1 in the world with silver and gold shifter knob, 'R" decals on fender and trunk AND Enkei wheels
Congratulations

Old 01-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

In his defense (why I don't know) the R1 option does include BBS 18" wheels not Enkie. The badges and shift knob, um...no.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 AM
luc

Originally Posted by JTsmks
In his defense (why I don't know) the R1 option does include BBS 18" wheels not Enkie. The badges and shift knob, um...no.
Was a joke