XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

R1

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

I came up on a gorgeous XJR/R1 the other day in my XJR-100 and I looked over at a little blue haired elderly woman barley able to see over the dash. Man that car wasn't getting use of its full potential!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The R1 package was only a brake/ wheel upgrade. Since the XJR's regular wheels would not fit over the large caliper. No change in the exhaust/ transmission/ or mapping. The R1 package did not have a badge denoting the option on the X308 -- the X350 had a badge. The 100 was add on options -- the only performance change being the larger brakes. (if you call that change)

I don't think the 2001 XJR's had CATS ..NAV was an option. They were building the XJR100's to give the brand a bit of marketing push .. remember the x350 was having it's development issues. Jaguar thought more people were going to want the R1 package .. not sure why as the 100's did not sell. By 02 the NAV and CATS became standard .. and later in the run more of the R1's came through .. and into the 03's .. my dealer did not want them! Jaguar must have had a bunch of parts at the factory -- they were not popular -- heavy discount in my area.

I also don't think the XJ sport ever came with CATS .. but I'm not positive .. they were popular in my area.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,319 Posts

Somewhat similar what happened to me when I was buying mine. The guy tried to tell me it was a special "gold edition". All he did was had the leaper and badges plated. He was just a rich kid who's daddy was an international car dealer in Saudi.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would believe you if I did not have the dealer invoice and if I didn't take it to the jag dealership when I got it...thank you for your input I did not know there was soo many misconceptions about the first r package...I guess there aren't many first generation r packages left on the road anymore

Old 01-23-2017, 05:11 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Meredith.marton
I would believe you if I did not have the dealer invoice and if I didn't take it to the jag dealership when I got it...thank you for your input I did not know there was soo many misconceptions about the first r package...I guess there aren't many first generation r packages left on the road anymore
I hesitate between you being very naive and having been taken advantage and ?????
Just put up a picture of the invoice for all to see.
Who do you bought the car from???

Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 PM
luc

BTW, the link in post 16 has a picture of the Monroney sticker that show the "R1" on it
let see yours

Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 PM
luc

Meredith
You just got your Jaguar, i have had Jaguars all my life and bought my 01 XJR brand new and have the "R1" on it. I ( and a bunch of other people on this forum) know more about the X308 than 99% of dealers.
Don't come here telling us that an "R1" option include stuff that only exist in your imagination or from a very deceiving seller that took advantage of you. we are just wasting our time if you don't want to hear the truth

Shotimer (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

I don't know the difference between a R1 and a stamdard XJR. What has me concerned is that Meredith ask me on Jaghag00" just won't srart thread "that if I had heads for a XJR because she said she had dropped valve seats. Then in this thread she said it was fast.

I guess she bought the car with dropped valve seats and she is driving it. If she keeps driving it she is going to need a new motor when a valve head breaks off. Unless she can do the work herself she will need another $4000 - $5000 to get it going again.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

The only invoice difference in 02 was a line showing the package and cost. The car's specification was the same. It added almost 6k ... Jaguar had to internally discount the package. My memory was it being about $3500.00

I drove the three cars back in 2002 -- each for a few days .. the 100 for about a week. They had a new 2001 XJR with the R1 ... a used R100 with < 10k on it and the car I eventually bought: 02R with 2k on it.

The 02 R was the least expenses of the three -- The CATS made a difference vs 01 ...and I did not want the brakes//wheels ......as I drove the car into the city

Old 01-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy
...."that if I had heads for a XJR because she said she had dropped valve seats. Then in this thread she said it was fast....
My thoughts as well, this has become a rather weird thread quickly.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

I'm more embarrassed for this person then anything else. To come on an enthusiast forum with people who are very well versed in all things Jaguar and then to try to put out that we all simply don't have any experiance with the original R1 option. The dealer who sold this car may very well have put the tacky "R" badges on it and then put on a "dealer installed" supplemental sticker. We did it all the time at the Buick/Pontiac dealer I was a porter at. BUT it is in NO WAY authorized or sanctioned by Jaguar so in short QUIT SHOWING YOUR *** and complete IGNORANCE on the subject by trying to convince people that you have something "Special" because your R1 equipped XJR was adorned by some dealer installed badges ala JC Whitney. The people you are calling out are very well respected here and actually KNOW what they are talking about unlike yourself. I'll count to 3, 2, 1 then add you to my ignor list so I don't have to look at your ignorant posts anymore.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow... a few people on here think rather highly of themselves, don't they?
And I'm not talking about the OP.

What happened to being welcoming, friendly, and offering an educated voice of reason, rather than getting hostile and resorting to personal attacks?
Eating humble pie isn't easy at the best of times. No need to make it worse.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

No grandell they don't, they are just tired of trying to let this person know what they have all the while they are insistent the majority of people educated on the subject are dead wrong. We've tried to be humble and welcoming, this person just scoffs at it and says that we are wrong. Most people that would show up on an enthusiasts forum and ask a question would weigh in on the fact that those answering know what they are talking about instead of consistently saying they are wrong. The OP is the one that should have been humble, welcoming and accepting of the people she was seeking information from.

03_jaaag (05-21-2024)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 741 Posts

Funny...as that I am the only one here that actually owns one I will be happy to answer any questions you.may have
This one gave me a chuckle.

03_jaaag (05-21-2024)
Old 01-25-2017, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

New car dealers .. are just that .. "New Car". They don't see the old models to sell or service in numbers to maintain a level of expertise. No one selling vehicles at my local Jaguar dealer was around when the X308 was new .. or CPO .. for that matter. That's typical .. and most are not really car enthusiasts -- they just sell them. It also true in service/ parts ... The long time parts manager at my local dealer passed away, may have one or two mechanics still around ... most warranty work ended 10 years ago.

MB seems to be the best at this -- But, they have a buyer base that keeps and maintains vehicles longer. My local Porsche dealer has one guy in the sale department with any historical knowledge of the vehicles.

I live in NYC and Philadelphia -- not small dealers in small sales markets.