XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Radiator/Cooling Fan stays on all the time....Drains the Battery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator/Cooling Fan stays on all the time....Drains the Battery.

Hello All,

Need some advice/knowledge to help my situation. I own a 98 Jaguar XJ8 and lately the radiator/cooling fan just stays on(stays on for like 7-10 minutes after the car is turned off!). This of course is DRAINING my battery quickly. I got the battery tested and it is fine. I have no idea what I need to do here(Is there a way to disconnect the fan, replace the sensor etc). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Well something is telling you something...

Most likely a dead thermostat. That will leave the fan running for a long time afterwards. No, the thermostats on these cars stay stuck closed rather than open.

Check that first!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Daim
Well something is telling you something...

Most likely a dead thermostat. That will leave the fan running for a long time afterwards. No, the thermostats on these cars stay stuck closed rather than open.

Check that first!
Thanks for the quick reply! I thought about the thermostat but then the car does not over-heat at all when driven(even for an hour straight). Can the fan drain the battery while the car is running? If it stays on the whole time one is driving the car?

Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

It won't overheat on the move... That is the thing. The engine is so efficiently cooled, that the wind from deiving is enough to cool it a good bit down tomstop it from overheating. And you won't notice it straight awaa in a jam either.

Regarding the battery drain: if you don't only ddive 1 mike to work and 1 mike back a day, then you'll still charge the battery to a higher rate than is later drawn. And the fans don't even drain as mich as the alternator charges whilst driving. So o worry about that. They most commonly will only run with the engine off or when creeping in traffic...

Don't cure the symptomes, cure the illness! The fans won't run for ever afterwards, if something isn't right and that is most likely the themostat.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM

It won't overheat on the move... That is the thing. The engine is so efficiently cooled, that the wind from deiving is enough to cool it a good bit down tomstop it from overheating. And you won't notice it straight awaa in a jam either.

Regarding the battery drain: if you don't only ddive 1 mike to work and 1 mike back a day, then you'll still charge the battery to a higher rate than is later drawn. And the fans don't even drain as mich as the alternator charges whilst driving. So o worry about that. They most commonly will only run with the engine off or when creeping in traffic...

Don't cure the symptomes, cure the illness! The fans won't run for ever afterwards, if something isn't right and that is most likely the themostat.
That does make a lot of sense, that is exactly what I will do, just ordered the Thermostat and will change it out and see if this is the cure.

Thank you some much for imparting your knowledge! This car can be a headache but it is a great ride!

Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 PM

Thermostat has been ordered....BTW, is it a complex repair to change it? Or can it be DIY?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

It is easy (if you don't habe the supercharger)...

Drain water (radiator has on the left side a drain screw) and then trace the radiator hose on the left side of the car to the engine. This is attached to the thermostathousing lid. Undo the 3 8 or 10 mm screws and remove lid. Thermostat is then visbile. Remove the old one, refit then new (should have a little bleed nipple on top, that must be at the top) and refit the lid. Refill with coolant. Start the car and then check the water again a little later.

If it is a supercharged model, then the supercharger/intercoolers will need bleeding.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 857 Posts

Just a bit of information for ya.
The 98' only XJ8 and XJR has a fan run on after the key is turned off even when the car isn't overheating but has different charactists.
For example, my 98' XJR, easy driving up to about 60 mph.
I live 6 miles from work and 2 days ago on my way home I didn't have the A/C on at all. When I got home and turned off the engine, I had no fan run on. Yesterday on my way home, I used the A/C all the way home. When I turned off the engine, I had fan run on and it lasts about 5 minutes. I know for a fact the engine isn't overheating. I've monitored the temps with an Autologic scanner just to be sure in the past. It's like the programmers were wanting to do away with excessive heat soak.

The 99' and up cars.
If there's any fan run on after driving, the engine is overheating.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

+1 on the thermostat as indicated by Daim.

However, to be sure, put them both in pan of water and heat them up (check YouTube for the best way).
You will see the good one opening, and if the old one doesn't, then you got the culprit.
Always a reassuring thought!

My fans were running after shut-down, in the week before I got an overheating issue on the road.
Seems these cars can do relatively well with a stuck thermostat, but once the weather gets hotter it will come out for sure.

Finally, I just sucked some coolant out of the coolant tank, then some more through the thermostat tower (mine is a N/A engine).
This allowed me to replace the thermostat without spilling (well, before I actually decided to do a full parts-upgrade and refill).