XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

radiator fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default radiator fan

Ok -
I realize this is probably normal- but I want to make sure. When I park the car the radiator fan stays on for like a minute afterwards. Is it supposed to do this? I tried searching to see if anyone else had asked this, but the forum won't let you use the word fan as a search

Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's warm enough it will stay on after you shut off the motor.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Default radiator fan

Thanks-
the fans are on almost everytime I turn off the engine and usually stay on for a minute or more. The temp gauge indicates everything is normal, but another post I read says they should only come on occasionally, like after hard driving, so that is why I was inquiring

Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Default radiator Fan

So I am still unsure about this. The fan on my car Runs for at least a minute EVERY time I shut off the car, even if I have only driven for five minutes or so. Is this normal? Temp isd normal

Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I know we're in the XJ section, but our motor bays are very similar.

When running my A/C, the fan is on all the time. As soon as I shut off my A/C, motor running, the fan turns off.

When I am running the A/C and shut off the motor, fan goes off immediately.

This is in Texas summer, 100 degree day, after driving 30 miles on the highway.

I think your fans are indeed trying to keep your engine cool. Either your thermostat is malfunctioning, your water pump is not working correctly, or your water temp sensor is bad. Those fans should not be on that long.

The temp gauge is an idiot gauge, in reality. If it is ok...it sits at midway. It will not climb as the temperature rises...it simply jumps to RED if it overheats. There is no warning. I have a OBDII Scanner that reads my water temperature in real time. I would suggest you try the same to determine why those fans are running. good luck.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same question about a run on fan in Tucson, where the temps are often over 110F. My cars never did it before, and a few weeks ago one of them started to do it every time. I investigated and found the lower fan was not working. I replaced it, and have not had the fan run on since. I must say that the car never overheated with only one fan running, even in bumper to bumper traffic in 110 degree weather.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The temp gauge will gradually rise past normal if the coolant temp gradually rises past normal such as in a case of a partially stuck thermostat. It does not automatically go from halfway to red. I have seen dozens of XJ8's, XJR's etc with this condition over the years. However most cooling system problems are catastrophic in nature such as a burst hose or broken serpentine belt which will immediately cause a rapid spike in coolant temp which will naturally cause the gauge to "jump" to the red zone.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I had this Problem in France a few months back, The car had always done it since I bought it so I assumed it was standard behaviour, but in France my question was answered, the Thermo is Screwed! Check your hoses to see if they're warm in the right places, and get the Thermostat replaced as a matter of course. They're quite cheap so its worth doing anyway. Hope this helps. S.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engines create heat after you shut them off. With no air flow or coolant circulating through out the engine, the fans run to help cool off the motor during initial shut off. Most European cars have this function. Take Audi/VW for example: They go as far to install an auxiliary (secondary) electronic water pump that runs along with engine fans after shut off to keep things cool.

Your symptoms are completely normal...

Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Strange that you say that, because since my Thermo fix, the fan has never come on, and I never ever have my A/C off. Also a Family Friend who is a Jaguar Test Driver also said the fan shouldn't have been coming on in the mild temps of France, and he tested the X308 in Death Valley! I'm not arguing with you or owt, just making an observation on something I myself have had to deal with.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Default radiator fan

I had posted the other day about an electrical problem where the car wouldn't start that I fixed by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Anyhow, the fans now stop as soon as I turn off the car, no matter haw far I've been driving. Weird!

Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

My guess is your problem is intermittent, and without sounding like mr negative, It most likely will return. Especially if it is a cooling system issue.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radiator fans and engine running hot.

There seems to be a lot of discussion here about the correct operation of the radiator fans and engine temperatures. However I have never seen any mention of anti-freeze strength which can have an adverse effect on engine cooling especially in a warm climate. My '01 XJ8 came from Chicago and was running 100% anti-freeze. That doesn't work in New Orleans especially on a car with a marginal cooling system. I have fixed many cars that were running hot by diluting the anti-freeze to 50% (-20 F). I did this to my Jag and noticed that the fans don't run as much as they used to. For those of you who don't understand this, pure anti-freeze is not efficient at removing heat from any engine. 50% is the ideal solution and best for boil-over protection as well as anti corrosion protection.
Regarding the radiator fans, can someone please answer my specific questions about their operation:
1. When A/C in on, do the fans run all the time or only when the compressor is engaged?
2. Do the 2 fans always run together or can they run separately?
3. Are the fans single speed or multi=speed?
Since I have owned the car, I have never seen or heard the fans run after the engine is shut down, even wtih A/C on in 90 degree weatheer. The temperature gauge has neven risen even a hair above the middle mark.
I love this website, it has been a source of lots of great information and has helped me many times learning about my first Jag. Thanks for all your help,
Spillwaybob

Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

turn on the ac both fans come on low speed, normal and if they dont you have a problem. they will only go to high speed if ac hi pressure goes too high and/or engine runs hot. And not just from the engine temp gauge. It IS normal for fans to stay on shortly after engine shut down. Depends on ac pressures and ecu determination of heat soak in the engine. Its if again if they go to high speed. then the first thing I would change is the themostat and pop off the brass check ball on the t stat. This stops surging, and flattening of the lower radiator hose where it clamps to the thermostat housing and will works its way off eventually as it does this blows off with speedy exit of coolant.l

Old 05-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Brutal, thanks for the information.....now that I know how the fans are supposed to work, I can detect a malfunction if it occurs. The previous owner replaced the t-stat shortly before I bought the car and it seems to be working OK. I'll keep watching for any changes. Thanks.
Spillwaybob