XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Radio hell!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio hell!

Hey there, I値l start by saying I知 a total novice when it comes to cars so forgive me if I sound stupid as I知 way out of my depth here. I drive a 2001 xj8 and have had radio trouble for months! Basically it asks me to enter a 4 digit code to access the radio. So after reading online I came to conclusion I had to call a dealership with my VIN and they would
provide the code which they did. However this code does not work so I知 at total loss. Haven稚 had a radio for months.If anyone has had this issue could they please help me out?

i have seen the videos of 2004 models being reset however the layout/style of 2001 is different. Again any suggests are welcome

Old 10-20-2019, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 886 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Ste554
So after reading online I came to conclusion I had to call a dealership with my VIN and they would
provide the code which they did. However this code does not work...
Your radio was probably replaced with a radio from another car so there is no way to get the code. You will have to either buy another radio which comes with its code or buy a radio from the USA as most did not use a code. When replacing the radio, you can keep (swap) your face plate if it is better than on the radio you buy.

Radios with code: Alpine No. AJ9800R, Jaguar LNC4100AA

Radios not requiring code: Alpine No. AJ9800A, Jaguar LNC4100BA

Last edited by M. Stojanovic; 10-20-2019 at 03:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
A.J.P (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 AM
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

You could try taking the radio out ,you never know the prvious owner might of wrote it on the casing.(A long shot I know).
Did the car come with any books or paperwork,look at every page,you never know the P.O. might of wrote it down anywhere.
But if all else fails,like M. Stojanovic say's you might have to get a new radio.
Good luck anyway,there's nothing worse than driving with no radio all the time.
Also it would be great if you'd introduce yourself and you Jag here.... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ ....it is a site requirement to do so.
If you would like the most accurate assistance, it is very helpful to place your vehicle information into your signature line, just look in your member control panel to set it up. Info like year, model, engine size, and other details like mileage can only aid in receiving more replies with the correct information.
Good luck solving your problems anyway.
Enjoy the luxury which is the X308.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Received 8,120 Likes on 4,901 Posts

You need to remove the radio head unit to get the serial number from the case.

Call a dealer with THAT number and get a radio code.

bob

A.J.P (10-20-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 03:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,857 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Ste554
...... I drive a 2001 xj8 and have had radio trouble for months! Basically it asks me to enter a 4 digit code to access the radio. .....
Welcome to the forums Ste554,

Although you don't mention it, I can see from your IP Address that you are in Pennsylvania. You are extremely unlucky to have a coded radio fitted in your XJ8 as this was NOT standard for US cars and my recollection is we've only had six other examples reported on the forums. European specification cars have coded radios which was meant to be a theft deterrent when the model was current.

The security code has a "lockout" feature to prevent anyone sequentially entering 0001 up to 9999 to find the right code. After 3 wrong attempts it locks for one hour during which time the radio must be left powered ON. After one hour, another three attempts can be made. If you had entered wrong codes before getting one from you dealer, it could still be in lockout:

There is a workaround which was good for the X-Type and earlier X300. It's worth trying on your X308:

1. enter any code 3 times so that the display shows "PLEASE WAIT"
2. simultaneously press ">>" "PTY" "A.MEM" and after 2 or 3 seconds the radio should turn ON

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

A.J.P (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Actually ALL radios are 'coded' but if you set the head unit to NORTH AMERICA, the code is 'disabled'.

When the new cars arrived here in the US, some were set to Australia or Europe and I had to set them to North America.(the frequencies are different)
In order to do that they had to have the radio code. ALL JAGUARS shipped 'as-new' had a radio code card with the VIN specific literature package.
We were to place the package (Owners book, Maintenance book, Radio code card etc.) in the vehicle.

Most US owners discard the radio code card because if the head unit is set to North America, you don't need it!!

The vehicle DID come from the factory with a radio code card!!!!!

bob

A.J.P (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Good info,as always Bob.
Take care.
Andy

Old 10-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums Ste554,

Although you don't mention it, I can see from your IP Address that you are in Pennsylvania. You are extremely unlucky to have a coded radio fitted in your XJ8 as this was NOT standard for US cars and my recollection is we've only had six other examples reported on the forums. European specification cars have coded radios which was meant to be a theft deterrent when the model was current.

The security code has a "lockout" feature to prevent anyone sequentially entering 0001 up to 9999 to find the right code. After 3 wrong attempts it locks for one hour during which time the radio must be left powered ON. After one hour, another three attempts can be made. If you had entered wrong codes before getting one from you dealer, it could still be in lockout:

There is a workaround which was good for the X-Type and earlier X300. It's worth trying on your X308:

1. enter any code 3 times so that the display shows "PLEASE WAIT"
2. simultaneously press ">>" "PTY" "A.MEM" and after 2 or 3 seconds the radio should turn ON

Graham
The trouble is I don稚 have the PTY button in my 2001 model only a PT button have also works as a 0. Here some photos to illustrate my problem

Old 10-21-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Actually ALL radios are
The vehicle DID come from the factory with a radio code card!!!!!

bob

I have the radio code provided by the jag dealership when I have them the VIN number however this code does not work.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:00 PM

Are you sure that the radio head unit is the exact one that originally was fitted to the car from the factory??

When I replaced radio head units at the Jaguar dealer the new unit came with a NEW CARD and a different radio code.

I replaced the head unit and then placed the NEW CARD in the glove cubby.

If your head unit has been replaced then the replacement head unit will NOT work with the code for the original radio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PULL THE HEAD UNIT TO GET THE SERIAL NUMBER AND GET THE CODE FROM THAT NUMBER!!!!!

Forget the vehicle VIN. It is useless if the head unit has been replaced.

I don't know how many different ways to say the same thing.

bob

A.J.P (10-22-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 886 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Actually ALL radios are 'coded' but if you set the head unit to NORTH AMERICA, the code is 'disabled'.
Interesting info. I bought a used radio from the USA (no request for code) to use in Malaysia where the FM frequencies are the same as Europe or Australia. When I tested it still set at North America, it worked but would only not tune to frequencies with the second decimal '0' like 101.10, 101.20 etc., only to frequencies with '5' as second decimal like 101.15, 101.25 etc. When I went to the region setting, it had only two choices - North America or Australia. I set ti to Australia and then I could tune to all frequencies, with '0' and with '5' as the second decimal. The radio still did not require any code.