XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Radio Interference from ignitionsystem solved!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017 | 01:50 AM
|
Default Radio Interference from ignitionsystem solved!

This problem somehow showed up after replacing the spark plugs. At first i didnt give it much thought, but after i had been listening the radio more frequently than usual it really started to annoy the hell out of me, a crackling noice following the Engine rev, sometimes very strong and sometimes not noticeble.. it kind of didnt make much sense... why would the problem get worse sometimes?

Anyway, to make a long strory short.. after have been trying all of the easy things: checking/measuring/cleaning plugs and coilpacks etc. the problem persisted..

Then i gave it a more serious thought and asked myself; what if the energy from the coilpack doesent feel like passing through the flimsy little spring between the tip of the coilpack and the sparkplug, and instead skip the spring entirely or maybe randomly skip a turn or two?
When i inspected them they actually looked somewhat dirty and oxidised here and there..

So.. i removed the springs, cleaned the tips of the coilpacks and introduced a small copper braid inside the springs.. the kind of braid you would use when soldering electronics and need to suck up exessive solder.. I put the braid inside and had abbout 5-6mm extra length in each end witch i just folded over the ends. Then i cleaned out the rubbersleeves and assemblied Everything again.

Problem solved! Not even one crackle on the radio ever since!!

Its not the coilpack itself that fails in this case.. its the little spring, a very simple fix to try before you consider buying new coilpacks. :-)

/ E