XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Radio - Only turns off when I kill the Engine and Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio - Only turns off when I kill the Engine and Etc...

A few weeks ago I replaced the battery in my 2000 XJR and the radio wanted the code (found the code card today). Until my rear shocks were fixed, wasn't much concerned, because not driving it much. However, last week it quit asking for the code except intermittently, and then the power button for the radio became unresponsive. You crank the car, the radio powers up, the antenna rises, and you have a blank lit screen, no 'enter code' message. Occasionally the past few days, a brief 'enter code' message shows and disappears, too quickly to enter the code. Driving it home today with new shocks it stayed bland until I killed the engine at a red light and restarted it, and there was the message for several minutes that time. Now, it shows for a second or 2 at idle in the driveway. Essentially, you could push the button to turn the radio on or off until the last couple weeks, now, it is unresponsive, and only turns off when I kill the engine, and the 'enter code' message is rare.

Any ideas anyone??

Old 05-12-2022, 09:34 PM
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I bet the fault is in radio.Could even be sticking radio button.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:24 AM

It is odd the button won't turn it off, but that along with the mostly blank screen not requesting the code, seems like something more. It happened so fast. I'll try to find where the fuses are that go to the radio? And did read somewhere about popping the radio button off and cleaning it underneath, but it wasn't clear it was this model. Thank you, Vauxi.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,813 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Sounds like the rheostat is gone in the power/volume control. A local electronics/radio repair shop should be able to replace it.

Be sure you've checked this as well....

Last edited by Highhorse; 05-13-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:12 PM

An update, Highhorse. This afternoon while I was driving the enter code message came on like a miracle and stayed on. I pulled over and was able to successfully input the radio code. The radio worked on FM just fine, but only the front speaker worked. I checked the speaker settings and base, treble etc... were all showing ZERO, which was odd. It wouldn't switch to AM, instead something weird I've never seen and couldn't write down as I was driving, each acronym ended in F I think. Anyway, got it back to FM and it worked, just the speakers issue, which is also new. I got to my destination, held my breath, and turned the radio off, it turned off, antennae retracted, and I got my new eyeglasses. But, when I cranked up to head home, the radio would not turn on! The button was again unresponsive. It seems all very bizarre. I don't have a local 'electronics' place, very rural. Wherever I bring it I will need to have a clear idea of what is most likely wrong so they will not try to sell me, the oldish lady, an expensive line of bull. I'll need to bring it somewhere in Beaumont most likely, an hour and half from here. I've looked at what a 'rheostat' is but I think it's more than that. Would appreciate more input from you.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Well, you could have some bad solder joint as well and be sure to check your pinning in the yellow Ford connector. Now for whomever you take or send it to, be sure to tell them you have that Ford connector since Ford had the electronics for these then.
Which unit do you have...premium or standard?

These guys are in Richmond, VA... https://carradiorepair.com/
These guys are in Orlando FL... https://carstereohelp.com/jaguar.htm
These ol' boys are in Houston TX... https://www.eurocarwerk.com/ ...they don't state Jaguar, but they show Land Rover...same equipment.
I'd give them all a call about price, turnaround and such. Because if its not worth the cost, a 3rd party radio may be your best bet? In that case I'd check with Crutchfield, gotten a lot of my stuff from them over the years and yes, for the Jag.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:59 PM

Here's a pic of the original sticker. Says Alpine 320W System w/6 CD. Does not say premium. Although, as I recall the sound system was still awesome before it went in the shop 3 years ago this August. Thanks for the diagram, I'll print it. I remember thinking my car was the first year that Ford was producing Jags after they bought the company. So, it was the second? It has been a great car, no major problems until mice ate through part of the wiring harness and caused a ricochet of issues a few years back. Biggest pain has been something draining my battery even before the mice did their damage. Battery is new now, but I've no doubt within the year I'll have to drive it daily to keep the battery charged.

Old 05-14-2022, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

If you have the premium, you'll have a speaker (a sub) in the rear deck window and in the trunk is the CD, Nav, and Amp on the driver side. Most likely with a SC model you had premium.

Why don't you put the description of your Jag in your signature to better assist us with the YMM. Top task bar, User CP, scroll down to Edit Signature.
Different years and regions had different engines, options and issues.

As for your battery, do you let the car sit for extended periods...more than 10 days roughly? If so, a battery tender is highly recommended and there are many threads on it. These cars are very fickle with power and have a parasitic draw.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:47 AM

Yes, it is the premium, it has all that you described. I'll definitely edit my signature to include some details on my car, actually hadn't realized how. It definitely would sit 10 days or more for a stretch, that won't be happening anymore as I intend to drive it regularly again out of necessity. When I think back it's like it only takes a few times of not driving it for a couple of weeks after a new battery before it becomes an issue of jump starting it yet again, more and more. Parasitic - that well describes. I hope I can find someone who can resolve the radio issues, I sure miss that. Thank you, HIghhorse for your input.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 365 Posts

It could be that the mice caused more issues than were fixed. This thread seems to show issues that could surely be caused by shorts in the wiring caused by the normal vibrations experienced with everyday driving. The intermittent nature of the issues only reinforces that possibility however wiring harnesses are an absolute pain. The Alpine unit is certainly the premium.

RandyS.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
It could be that the mice caused more issues than were fixed. This thread seems to show issues that could surely be caused by shorts in the wiring caused by the normal vibrations experienced with everyday driving. The intermittent nature of the issues only reinforces that possibility however wiring harnesses are an absolute pain. The Alpine unit is certainly the premium.

RandyS.
So far as I know the damage didn't extend to the radio, it worked fine when I picked it up - speakers as well. Problems started when we pulled the battery and replaced it. It was a couple weeks before I found the radio code. The entire wiring harness was replaced I think as well as the control module? I think it is called. The shop really had a job on their hands, took a while, but they found or fixed things, I'm thankful for them. Looks like I'll be able to replace much of the small interior parts that didn't survive the long sit in the sun . I can live without the radio, but I'd sure like to have it back, so far it hasn't decided to turn on again . . . Thanks for your input, Randy.