XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Radio source skipping and broken tabs

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 02:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio source skipping and broken tabs

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has had this before - the radio randomly skips to a different source, so if listening to FM radio, it will change to LW or CD. It seems completely random every few minutes. Is it a case of buying a replacement or is there a known cause?

The other thing is broken tabs - the climate and radio have plastic pieces the screw together - these are broken on both the radio and climate control on one side which makes them feel loose - again any easy way to fix this or is it just a case of replacement?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2020, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Welcome FW, first off can we get you to introduce yourself here.... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ ...it only takes a couple minutes and is a site requirement.

Next, what model do you have? We need to know because of common problems in certain yrs and models. Plus, its not like its ever happened that someone posted in the wrong forum. But without your Jag info, we don't know how to help you.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers - I’ve done that now!

Model is a 1999 Daimler XJ so an X308 Jaguar with fancy trim!

Old 04-15-2020, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, next pointer, you can put your car info in your signature using the User CP, top task bar on the left. So you don't have to tell us every time.

So...a Daimler...nice, lots of lipstick on that girl...rare car to get. I would believe you may have a bad cold solder joint or two. A local electrical shop can go into it and take care of that if its in the head unit. Could be a bad rheostat also?...your radio dial. Since its a Daimler, I believe you have the premium stereo with CD/NAV/Cassette...like my VDP. Thus its an integrated system and they work with each other to include the steering controls. So connections on these devices need checked. You'll have to...or if you want pay someone...to chase this. I recommend yourself since most folks are afraid of the word Jaguar for some reason.

Now you say broken tabs, ...are you speaking of the mounting tabs that hold the radio and climate controls in place? Very common, as a matter of fact if they aren't broke its amazing. You may find yourself making your own tabs/brackets to hold it in place....or going with a 3rd party head unit which turns into somewhat of another logistical phenom depending on your mechanical skills. The material used wasn't exactly a great choice by Jaguar.

You'll have to hunt this down because my pdf is too large for the site. But there should be a link using the Site Search top right... you want XJ X308 Workshop Manual, very good to have around.

This link will be helpful now and in the future, be sure to bookmark it... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The image I uploaded is from that link and in the Search just type 1999 X308 Electrical guide....the whole electrical schematic comes up as a pdf titled as I typed it. You can also go to the top of this forum and go through the Stickies there to include specifically...Handbook Download.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info, I’ve downloaded the workshop manual already to try and fix some minor mechanical issues!

Cold solder joint sounds about right, I’ll have to figure out how to take it apart, no harm I guess, if I mess it up I will end up being a replacement anyway!

Seen that replacing with after market is tricky and think for this car I want to keep the stock look, will probably try and install an aux input instead and maybe improve the sound quality later on.

yes - those are the tabs I mean! How have people gone about making replacements of their own? I’d imagine a 3D printer would be useful but sadly I don’t have one

Thanks

Old 04-15-2020, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

As for the tabs, that's up to your ingenuity. A 3D printer would probably work nicely, but before those, there were some imaginative ideas. New wave adhesives have been used successfully.

There's a number of folks here who have added Bluetooth devices to the OEM unit with much success, along with at least one member who found a way to add a 2.5 or 3.0 adapter directly to the face to plug in a Bluetooth device.

Your location says Reading...is that Reading PA? I possibly have another link if your in the US.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:40 AM

Reading UK rather than US, Bluetooth sounds interesting I’ll do some searching!

Old 05-17-2020, 09:02 AM

I’ve managed to fix this issue by accident, which is nice!

i removed the wiring for the phone kit whilst I was running a 3.5mm connection from the CD changer - it seems something in that wiring was causing the issue as after putting the car back together without the phone kit it’s not skipped source once!

Always nice to fix something without realising

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (05-17-2020)