XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Random wiring harness... Where does it go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random wiring harness... Where does it go?

Hey all,
Upon my bi-weekly inspection of my XJR I cam across this random wiring harness that is just hanging with no place to go??? As you can see it is cylinder like in shape with 3 small female holes inside of it. I have searched the engine bay for at least an hour and can't seem to find where it belongs. Any ideas???

Attached Thumbnails Random wiring harness... Where does it go?-jag-wiring-001.jpg   Random wiring harness... Where does it go?-jag-wiring-002.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 AM

Did that car have air susp. On it? It kind of looks like the sensor that clips ontop or the air shock. Since it's a 98 thoes shocks are expensive and people bypass the air. If not since it's by the shock it could go down to an abs sensor

Old 09-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Well, I don't believe it is or was equipped with the air suspension package?? There is not another harness like this equipped on the otherside of the shock tower... The harness is only about 6 inches long before it branches off and splices into the main engine wiring harness coming out of the fire wall. Thanks for the suggestions though...

Edit: DKing, you are correct. I just searched around a little more and found the other harness stuffed away on the other side of the shock tower in array of other wiring harnesses. I'm a bit baffled to be honest with you... I don't know much about the air suspension on these cars. Do you have a personal opinion if it's better than the standard strut/shock spring setup? Is it reliable? Does this mean the rear shocks, if they have not been replaced, are equipped with this air suspension package? What do you suggest I do?

Last edited by Usdm-sti-ftw; 09-23-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 PM

Also, I do plan on lowering the car with either Arden springs or the Mina springs. Will converting the car back to the CATS make it not possible to lower the car? Should I just keep what is currently installed?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

First question you should answer is why the previous owner bypassed the use of the air suspension? Was the system broken (air compressor thingy no longer working), or did they rather have the stiff suspension at all times? What do you want to do USDM?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM

The setup that is on it is prob ok. I had to do a conversion on a Benz cause 1 air shock was 1200.strutmasters is where I got the struts and they are made for a close factory setup, that's what is prob on your car. Lowering the car shouldn't be that hard. If it was me I wouldn't put cats back on it cause of the price. An by the pic the struts don't look veery old. Do you know how to check your struts?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
First question you should answer is why the previous owner bypassed the use of the air suspension? Was the system broken (air compressor thingy no longer working), or did they rather have the stiff suspension at all times? What do you want to do USDM?
I don't know... I bought the car from the Audi dealer here locally for a very good price but of course in as-is condition. So I don't have access to maintenance records or have the option of speaking with the former owner about what happened. I certainly don't mind having a little stiffer, more responsive feel to the suspension however.

Originally Posted by Dking
The setup that is on it is prob ok. I had to do a conversion on a Benz cause 1 air shock was 1200.strutmasters is where I got the struts and they are made for a close factory setup, that's what is prob on your car. Lowering the car shouldn't be that hard. If it was me I wouldn't put cats back on it cause of the price. An by the pic the struts don't look veery old. Do you know how to check your struts?
I see. The car handles and feels fantastic under all driving conditions so I suspect the struts are in good condition. I definitely don't notice any excessive bouncing or excessive strut travel. To answer your question, if you mean just applying pressure and give a good shove to each corner of the car to see what happens then, yes

Last edited by Usdm-sti-ftw; 09-23-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

they are the controllers for the "CATS" active suspension, they have two settings, you activate the sports setting via the sports mode switch, the bcm (body control module) does the rest, firms the ride up going into corners a treat, the little orange washer is the seal, do not loose it. Its an electrical signal to the valves in the damper, normal oil...
The system is not air, later x350 XJ's have the air system, the coil over shock system of the x308 is far easier to tune up if wanted. Lowered springs, 30mm on XJ 15mm on XJR are available, as uprated dampers, although the Bilstein are a very capable damper, considering its 1.8 tons....
________
essential vaaapp vaporizer

Last edited by Sean B; 01-21-2011 at 06:14 AM.