XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Re-installing 5 HP 24 advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re-installing 5 HP 24 advice

Re-installing 5 HP 24 advice

Well this is WillP back at it with my “another pair of hands back from vacation”. I am so thankful for the advice I got from our members earlier this summer, it's put me in position to get her back in my 2000 vanden plas.

During the time my helper was gone I drilled out one of my bell housing bolts than broke, I assume due to galvonic corrosion and also drilled out a bolt from my upper catalytic converter that had corroded. My Jag had had it's home in the Chicago-Milwaukee area and the road conditions did a little damage but it seemed just to ruin a few things thankfully on my Jag. Also I aquired some anti-seize lubercant and a couple of new exaust clamps that were history had had to be grinded off.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. I didn't have or use an engine support when removing my transmission and now though the transmission is loosely (very much so) attached with my 16 bolts it appears a bit open at the top of the transmission. Do you recommend in this situation that I jack up the front of my engine slightly to help more easily mesh the transmission to the engine. I didn't want to try to pull it together with the bolts only out of fear of having to replace another broken bolt, which is a decent little job for a beginner like me. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, do I need to jack up my rear transmission to re-install my rear motor mount. Also, should I wait till my transmission is installed an torqued correctly to attempt this installation.

You know when a novice views the installation diagrams we just don't get all the information that a more experienced mechanic percives.

Thanks for any help or advice. Will P , 2000 Jaguar XJ8 vanden plas

Old 08-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Is the torque converter all the way in for sure?

If you are confident of that, then yes, jack up the rear of the transmission and thre the 4 bolts on the rear mounting bracket to hold it in place while you asssemble all the other whatnot.

We are scoring an XJ8 for my son next week, potentially for FREEEEEEE so I wil be doing an engine/trans swap shortly as well...

Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=dsnyder586;1286228]Is the torque converter all the way in for sure?

If you are confident of that, then yes, jack up the rear of the transmission and thre the 4 bolts on the rear mounting bracket to hold it in place while you asssemble all the other whatnot.

We are scoring an XJ8 for my son next week, potentially for FREEEEEEE so I wil be doing an engine/trans swap shortly as well...[/QUOTE

Thanks,DSnyder586, well the transmission is not yet fully against and torqued down to the engine yet. I figured I needed to do that before I worked on the rear engine mount. I now know that I can use a jack to raise the transmission to secure the mount. I still need to secure the engine to the transmission. I was just anxious that I didn't force the meld of the transmission /enging engaging. I just wondered if I need to jack up the front of the car to facilitate a proper fusion.....

Thanks for your help.... Will P
and Good luck with your sons jag, they are such fun, and I have read many of you post before I joined the board and I want to thank you for those....

The following users liked this post:
dsnyder586 (08-14-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Default Light at the end of the tunnel.........

Light at the end of the tunnel.........

I got my transmission on (is there a record for the number of extensions used, LOL) and the rear engine mount is up. Not finished but glad to have the tranny jack out from under the Jag, I'm not a small person and I feel like I just lost a wrestling match with a steel jack and numerous concrete blocks. I'll come back and update in a day or so to complete my communications with those who helped me previousky, Thanks again.
Any person undertakeing this same or simiilar trek with their Jag is welcome to ask me anything about my experience and I will share happily.

Thanks to all who have helped me which includes those who shared list, pictures, opinions and how to's. Will P

Old 08-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Default Dodged a huge bullet today on dropped bolt

Well, this is one you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy but you know the three bolt that connect the torque converter on the 5 hp 24, well the third one magically jumped out of it's intended hole an got lodged under the teeth of the drive plate. I sweated and fingered for 2 1/2 hours with screwdrivers and 3/16 steel wire and finally with an L shaped piece, after figuring out that they was more room up to the right of the opening to manuver the bolt, I somehow was able to flip it just right and magically again it popped out on the ground. Prayers were answered, I just new I'd have to remove the transmission but as it was the third bolt being installed making the mess staggering. LUCKY ME!

Just wanted to post this on the off chance that someone else might do this and I might give them a little hope. I would gladly resond to helping anyone with any small amout of information I have. Anyhoo..... Will P