XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Ready to attempt the timing tensioner repair...just a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to attempt the timing tensioner repair...just a few questions.

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently acquired a 2000 Lincoln LS with the 3.9L V8. I went out to look at the car knowing it had the common timing tensioner issue. It seemed like a mild case, barely made any noise. But of course, as soon as I signed the title, it started getting noisy consistently.

I've done a ton of research on the issue, and I see most people pull the valve covers and replace the tensioners and that's it. But I have some questions I wasn't able to dig up any info on:

1. My car is making a lot of noise, so I'm wondering: should I replace the secondary timing belt while I'm in there? I see tons of write-ups on how to do the tensioner, but not much information on how to replace the chain as well.
2. I see a lot of rebuild kits online for the primary tensioners and chains too. If my car is noisy, is it likely that these parts will need replacement as well?
3. I'm worried about internal damage of course, but if the car still runs and drives fine, it should be free of any bent valves/jumped timing/broken timing chain issues, correct? And no, I am not driving the car any longer, it is parked now.

I know these are tough questions to answer, but I won't be able to tear into the car until this weekend and want to make sure I'm prepared when I pull the VCs off.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Secondary tensioners that are failing generally make noise on startup. Continuous noise could be more serious. What you need to understand is that secondary failure is catastrophic and probably means replace engine.
So stop driving it, get the covers off and inspect. If the primaries are bad they are not likely to destroy the engine, and you can check them out also, although they are not as easy to see.
RJ_____________
95 XJ6 120K mi
97 XK8 86K mi

Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

There is a detailed PDF with a lot of pictures in the stickies. Very well done writeup. Print it out, and go for it. It covers the uppers, chains, guides, and lowers (also the stuff that needs to come off anyway, like thermostat), while you're at it, upgrade the water pump too.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 PM

I parked the car, I'm just wondering if it would be wise to replace the secondary chains while I am in there or if they will even need replacement. Most write-ups I see they only replace the secondary tensioners, no belts or anything.

Got a link to the PDF? I searched and searched but could only find broken links.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts

It's right there in the "How to" section. Titled "Timing chain DIY" and the author is Blackonyx. When I click on the link, it openes MANY pages of PDF, but I don't know how to paste the link into my post. I read all those pages, but I will do uppers only with the zip tie method. Anyway,....I like to read all of it, just to have an idea what is involved.

Edited to add: It just dawned on me! I think you can't open it because you don't have enough posts. Maybe the moderator will have mercy on you, and upgrade your membership, so you can open it. The links are not dead.

Last edited by danielsand; 10-23-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by danielsand
It's right there in the "How to" section. Titled "Timing chain DIY" and the author is Blackonyx. When I click on the link, it openes MANY pages of PDF, but I don't know how to paste the link into my post. I read all those pages, but I will do uppers only with the zip tie method. Anyway,....I like to read all of it, just to have an idea what is involved.

Edited to add: It just dawned on me! I think you can't open it because you don't have enough posts. Maybe the moderator will have mercy on you, and upgrade your membership, so you can open it. The links are not dead.
Found it with a Google search for "blackonyx timing chain".

But I'm wondering, for those who have done the repair, why did or didn't you replace the secondary timing chain? And how can you tell if the primary chains/tensioners need replacement?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

I don't think I have run across a post that says a timing chain broke on it's own without a faulty tensioner. I guess stretching could be taken into consideration though.

Take that for what it's worth.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Right, I'm just wondering if the chains have potential to stretch/get worn out if the tensioners are bad, which they definitely are.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Well, it kind of boils down to your risk tolerance.

An extra $150 for new chains is cheap insurance if you are going to keep the car 100k more. If you are going to do uppers and lowers there is no extra work involved so it boils down to $$.

IF you are just doing uppers with the zip tie method, chains add more work.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I think I will just do the upper tensioners, I don't plan on keeping the car for long.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM

New tensioners are in and pins pulled. Both sides seem sometimes tight, sometimes loose. Did I do something wrong or is the chain stretched?

Used zip tie method, cam flats still line up, so timing should still be good...

Last edited by notamechanic; 10-28-2012 at 09:05 PM.