XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear Bulb Failure light + no running lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Before you source a BPM remove the connector and apply power to the bulbs at socket 28 then apply power to socket 54 as marked as light blue in the connector pic . This test the bulb grounds .

Have you checked fuse # 7 / 15 amp and # 5 / 15 amp LH heelboard and # 3 / 15 amp RH heelboard fuse box ? Easiest thing to do .

To test the switch the ground to socket 16 should be provided as you turn the headlights on with the Red / White wire as I understand it . So if you have headlights you should have rear fog or running lights with the switch . The missing rear running lights would point to BPM or a dirty or high resistance contact in the switch . Test the switch by putting a meter on socket 16 and look for resistance close to zero . Someone was able to open the switch and and get the spring to close tighter .

My Mom says I need to go to bed now

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 03-25-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UPDATE!!!

Originally Posted by 97xj6lucy
I have inspected all the soldering points on the light switch . Everything looks just fine. So at this point have we at least narrowed it down to the BCM or the SCLM ? Or is it possible that when I let the live wires connect that I had damaged the light switch ? Thanks again for all help in advance!
Hello all , so I have gotten my sclm back , it was perfectly fine.I then replaced the bpm with one from a similar model, and now the car has stalled after a test drive and won' start . I put the old one back in and nothing changed.During this process I realized that the security light next to the shifter had never worked before I replaced the bpm, and now it stays lit all the time and the car won' start.No matter whch BPM is in the car.It is currently stuck in the middle of my friends driveway and won' start.Please help , I have no idea what I have done wrong .

Old 04-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

97/xj6lucy
sounds like your Jaguar may have gone into immobilization mode.

Look at this other post:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-164357/

Old 04-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
97/xj6lucy
sounds like your Jaguar may have gone into immobilization mode.

Look at this other post:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-164357/
This is exactly what happened to me , the car keeps locking itself and I have no key fob. The other thread you have posted Jim doesn't lead to any answers except to go to a dealer. Is that what your suggesting I do at this point? I don't even know how I would get it to a dealer , the nearest one is probably at least 50 miles away. I greatly appreciate your help kind sir!

Old 04-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Have you tried the Hard Reset - to get everything back to Factory setting?
Make sure you test your battery that it is fully charged before doing the Hard Reset.

Follow the directions for Hard Reset by member SuperSport
here is the weblink to his posting:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e3/#post702404

Old 04-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Have you tried the Hard Reset - to get everything back to Factory setting?
Make sure you test your battery that it is fully charged before doing the Hard Reset.

Follow the directions for Hard Reset by member SuperSport
here is the weblink to his posting:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e3/#post702404
Thanks again Jim , I'm heading to my buddies house in a few hours and I'm going to try the hard reset.The detailed instructions were a big help because I had no idea the key had to be on.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:22 PM

Thanks again Jim , I'm heading to my buddies house in a few hours and I'm going to try the hard reset.The detailed instructions were a big help because I had no idea the key had to be on.
Hard reset complete and still no changes. I noticed that when trying to unlock it from security mode the security light gets brighter for a second then stays on. My only guess is that my key is not correponding with the car at this point .

Old 04-08-2018, 04:04 PM
Default Another update!

Hard reset complete and still no changes. I noticed that when trying to unlock it from security mode the security light gets brighter for a second then stays on. My only guess is that my key is not correponding with the car at this point .
I put the old BPM back in the car and the problem went away. I believed that because I never bolted the BPM in place during testing of the new unit that it was never properly grounded. So now I am right back where I started , but at least I've realized my mistake. Sometime this week coming up I will re test the replacement unit I bought and make sure that I bolt it in place to see if I that will resolve my original issue , being the check rear light warning is on and I have no running lights front or rear. Thank you to all who have helped so far in this journey to restore this beautiful car!

The following users liked this post:
Samilcar (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever resolved this issue ? I had accidentally cut into the wrong wires in my 2003 super v8 , and they touched while the battery was still connected and it blew a bulb. Now i hate myself for forgetting to disconnect the battery. I replaced the bulb but now I have no running lights . I checked all the fuses and the relays all are good. So my next step is to have my SCLM repaired because I have no idea what else it could be at this point.
Hate to say I didn't figure it out, and ended up having to part with this gorgeous vehicle. Since I can have only one vehicle I now drive a truck (well and a moto). Most beautiful car I probably will ever own, drove wonderfully. My advice - don't buy one that has been hacked on by kids.

Good luck and be patient with the electrical.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Default Yet another update

Hello to all reading this thread. I have finally got around to properly testing the replacement bpm and as far as I can tell it made absolutely no difference at all. Everything in the car works as normal , except I still have no running lights in the car and the check rear lights warning on the dash when I turn the lights to the on position. My last guess is that it's a bad ground in the wiring somewhere and I'll have to learn how to look for this and attempt to find a loose wire somewhere. Although I am going to remove and reinspect the light switch again. I want to double check every possibility before I start following the wires from the taillights forward Although i also think it would make more sense to start at the front I'm not really sure how i will approach this. I have no experience in testing electrical circuits. I will post another update when I find a whole weekend to dedicate to looking for a loose wire or bad ground.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Default Last update from this guy on this thread I'm sure I've been annoying!

Hello to all again, I'm embarrassed to say that I was looking over the bulbs and connectors and realized one of the contacts on the brand new bulbs I put in it was broken off . I pushed the contact back on the bulb put it back in and wallah, lights on no warning. I want to send a special thanks Jim Lombardi and Lady Penelope for all your help in my efforts. I'm glad this saga has ended for me. Have a great year and happy jagging to all !!!!

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (04-13-2018)