XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear Door Operation Child Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rear Door Operation Child Locks?

I recently learned that my back seat passengers can only open their doors if they manually unlock the rear door first (this assume that they beat me to opening the drivers door which would unlock all the rest of the doors).

The child lock is off in the above scenario. If they child lock is on then it doesn't matter if the door is unlocked they can't open from the inside.

Can anyone confirm what the correct operation of the rear door is supposed to be. It seems to me that a rear passenger should just be able to pull on the handle of a locked door and the door should open (like the front doors do).

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

Mine does the same. The rear locks, regardless of child lock settings, do not open with a handle-pull, but have to wait until the locks have been unlocked first. Slightly different than a child lock, in that the child lock would mean the inside handle would do nothing, even if the doors were unlocked. But yes, it would seem to be better if the handles would open a locked door if the child protection wasn't activated.

It's also possible mine aren't working either, and we share the same issue. I haven't read into the manual to see if that's normal.

The following users liked this post:
dneider (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:37 AM

Thanks, hopefully a few others will chime in on what normal operation is supposed to be.

When the child lock is off, the door is locked and I pull on the inner handle for a rear door I see that the door lock moves up a little bit like the door handle is trying to pop the lock... but it doesn't do enough to open it... thats what got me thinking that perhpas something was wrong... that and I consistently have rear passengers who feel like they are trapped... perhaps in part because the door lock is the older style pull up kind and its not in their direct line of sight.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 868 Likes on 715 Posts

I no longer have the drivers handbook: but you appear to have the master lock button on. Keeps all doors locked so no thug can enter the back doors

Old 04-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Hmm I'll have to learn about master lock... not familiar with that. With that said the scenario I'm referring to is that I was hoping/thinking that back seat passengers (who are in the car) should be able to pull on the handle of a locked door (with no child lock on) and the door lock should pop up and the door should open.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,009 Likes on 613 Posts

The information in my driver's handbook says the following regarding child safety locks:

"Child Safety Locks
Child safety locks are fitted to the rear doors.
To operate: Open the door and move the lever up. This immobilises the interior handle. The door can only be opened using the exterior door handle.
To cancel: Open the door and move the lever down."

Regarding Central Locking....................................
It states of the "Central Locking Switch" This switch can be used to prevent uninvited entry when the vehicle is stationary , e.g. at road junctions or traffic lights. One press of the switch will lock all doors and luggage compartment. Pressing and holding the switch for 3 seconds will close any open windows and the sunroof.
After using the central locking switch, if the switch is pressed again, or a front interior door release lever is operated, it will resume its normal operation.

Normal operation.........................
Out of curiosity, I checked how the rear door interior release levers operate in my car. As per Deneider's experience, when the car is running, with the child locks in the off position, operation of the interior rear release levers will not unlatch or open a rear door, whether in Drive, Neutral, Reverse or Park. It is only when one of the front door release levers is operated that all door locks are released and the rear door release levers become operational. I can well understand that this could make some rear passengers feel "trapped". The rear passengers can however manually lift the door door lock "button" and the rear door release lever is then operational, and the door will open.

The following users liked this post:
dneider (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the detailed response, based on yalls feedback it appears the rear doors are operating as designed.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

it's interesting cause on page 47 of the 1999 manual it states that if you operate the release levers on the rear doors it will unlock and then unlatch like the front doors but that doesn't sound like the case.. Mines an 01 but I haven't tried it on mine

Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 PM

Here's a cut and paste from that page

Each rear door w ill unlock and then unlatch individually by
operation of the door release levers

Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,009 Likes on 613 Posts

Skinnypup, it would be interesting to see if you can actually do that. I can't achieve that on my car, no matter what combination I try, the rear doors will not open by means of the interior door release levers unless the driver's door has been opened and therefore all door locks are automatically released. (or the passenger manually lifts the locking "button").

Old 04-12-2018, 11:04 AM

My initial instinct was that perhaps the rear door release cables had stretched and thus the door handle when pulled wasn't operating the lock mechanism through its full travel.

The reason I thought this may be the case is that when you pull on the door handle (on a locked door) towards the end the of its travel the door lock seems to lift slightly.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Just tried mine.. Won't unlock with handle