XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear Electrics Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Electrics Problem

Have a strange problem with my 99 XJ...my radio antenna (extend-retract), CD changer, trunk interior lights, electric trunk unlatch and brake lights (tail) are not working. Don't see a lot of connection to these issues (maybe CD and antenna). Located large connector in trunk that I believe is the feed for the rear of car, but can't find any electrical drawings to check it by.
Pictures of the connector is posted...as to the brake lights, the tail lights come on with ignition on and do not change when the brake pedal is pressed (the upper brake light works). All fuses and relays seem to be ok
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Rear Electrics Problem-20170125_143052_resized.jpg   Rear Electrics Problem-20170125_143101_resized.jpg   Rear Electrics Problem-20170125_151353_resized.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 496 Likes on 377 Posts

One day I'll put all these common links in my sig...

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1999.pdf

Old 01-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Beneath the fuse box in the trunk/boot is the SCLM module. They are know to corrode due to their location. Disconnect the battery, and disconnect the SCLM and clean and re-seat the plug.
The SCLM controls, brake lights at the body, trunk latch and quite a few other things.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Beneath the fuse box in the trunk/boot is the SCLM module. They are know to corrode due to their location. Disconnect the battery, and disconnect the SCLM and clean and re-seat the plug.
The SCLM controls, brake lights at the body, trunk latch and quite a few other things.
Thanks for the reply...I've removed the SCLM (nice and clean connections) disconnected and reinstalled connectors...no difference

Old 01-25-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by nilanium
One day I'll put all these common links in my sig...

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1999.pdf
Thanks for the link...I looked at the elec drawings but could not identify that connector in the trunk

Old 01-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

BT4. You need to separate each circuit.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Check boot hinge harness for trunk button and boot lights.
CD lead is separate data cable.

I think you have more than one fault. Don't sound related. Check brake light bulbs.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by melhookv12
Check boot hinge harness for trunk button and boot lights.
CD lead is separate data cable.

I think you have more than one fault. Don't sound related. Check brake light bulbs.
Thank you for the electrical drawing...I believe you'er correct that there are likely a few things out of order. The hinge harness has been repaired (the previous owner), that was my initial point to check...I replaced the light bulbs, but still lights on with ignition on. I leaning towards modules...want to get them scanned...need to find someone that can.
Thanks again

Old 01-27-2017, 04:50 AM

Recheck the boot harness. At least you'll know in your own mind if it's ok. Remove all insulation and wriggle wires about. That way you can cross a few faults off.
trunk/ boot release button is easy to test with a multimeter.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by melhookv12
Recheck the boot harness. At least you'll know in your own mind if it's ok. Remove all insulation and wriggle wires about. That way you can cross a few faults off.
trunk/ boot release button is easy to test with a multimeter.
Did some wire checks today, first to determine wire continuity for antenna signal wire...it was good, then checked for 12v signal, not there...problem must be the radio (replacing radio might fix the antenna and CD issue). As far as brake lights are concerned, the upper light works when the brake pedal is pushed (as it should), the tail brake lights are on and stay on with ignition on (the signal from brake switch goes to somewhere else before the tail lights)...didn't get to look at trunk release and trunk interior lights.
Thanks again for your help