XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear Shocks 2001 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Shocks 2001 XJR

Just bought first Jag--2001 XJR for wife--89K and immaculate shape my experience is BMW. Looking at rear shocks at partsgeek, etc. Monroes are half price of Bilsteins--use Bilsteins on BMW and work well. Problem is some are listed for "sport suspension, some for "standard", some for "comfort" and some "not for computer controlled" suspensions. All say they fit 2001 XJR. From reading about this car, I thought there was just one suspension on the 2001 XJR, not several options. I thought it was a purely mechanical (no electronic control) setup that is stiffer than the normal XJ8/VP non-supercharged models (like my 2000 M5 vs. the regular 5's). Figure you experts/Jag enthusiasts would know the answer and opinion of Monroes vs. Bilsteins. Front shocks are fine, so assumed prior owner replaced them---bought at independent dealer so no service records, just a clean carfax. Also, if he serviced it at a Jag dealer, are the records available at any Jag dealer, as is the case with BMW's.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I could be wrong on this but I do not believe the basic suspension layout is any different - so it may be a situation as you state where shocks from the different model configurations will all fit. Although the XJR is listed as being lower to the ground than the others -- this could be bushing/ tires differences?

My 02 XJR has the the "CATS" suspension. I would need the "computer controlled" replacements. I thought that was an option in 01?

The fronts on yours may be original - My x300 Jaguar VDP did not need shocks at 90k. Although, the Jaguar rear suspension is of a different design and it does move (bob) more than most - leading to the belief that the shocks are bad.

The shocks play such an important part in the ride and handling of a Jaguar that I would make sure whatever is used is OE -- in order to maintain the dynamics of the car. And if I was as going to keep the car for any amount of time I would replace all four.

Maybe someone will chime in with an actual experience using some secondary shock -- but my time with Mercedes/ BMW tells me that the designers picked the particular shock for a reason.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I can only reply to a the last question in your post. Any Jaguar dealer has access to an on-line data base of dealer repairs. All warranty information is available in a condensed report that contains only minimal information like the date, mileage and principal part dealt with.

The issue with non-warranty invoices is that they have personal information of the previous owner(s) and will not be released without permission.

I was very fortunate in that my first car was a Select Edition so I had 100k miles of warranty documentation. The previous owner of the second car called the dealer and authorized release so I got complete copies of all invoices.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Bilsteins make the OEM shocks. I would not put anything on it other than Bilsteins. As the others have stated, I believe that the shock geometry is the same on all of the XJ8 models so they will all say they fit the XJR.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

First off, confirm the car has or hasn't got CATS suspension, pop the hood and look at were the front shocks are bolted to the body. If it has CATS, there will be a black domed cap covering the wire going into the top of the shock absorber.

Only use Bilstein OEM.

Why do you think the car needs rear shocks by the way, I run 2 MY 2002 XJR's one with 148k and 285k on their clocks, the shocks are fine.

The XJR has shorter springs than standard, by 15mm.

Likely be shock bushes, lower are favourite, about £30 each, not the shocks themselves.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
First off, confirm the car has or hasn't got CATS suspension, pop the hood and look at were the front shocks are bolted to the body. If it has CATS, there will be a black domed cap covering the wire going into the top of the shock absorber.

Only use Bilstein OEM.

Why do you think the car needs rear shocks by the way, I run 2 MY 2002 XJR's one with 148k and 285k on their clocks, the shocks are fine.

The XJR has shorter springs than standard, by 15mm.

Likely be shock bushes, lower are favourite, about £30 each, not the shocks themselves.
Thanks all for your help!--Sean B When I push the rear end down it bobs a bit before stopping----the fronts feel quite firmer and stop right away--no re-bound. No CATS as just the front shock rods and nuts show with no wires or dome covers. So if the lower bushings were worn would that account for the bobbing? Than actual damping effect feels much softer in the rear as well---but perhaps the fronts are stiffer due to greater weight? Also when driving the back end feels a bit "bouncy" compared to the front. But a worn bushing would do that I would guess?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
Bilsteins make the OEM shocks. I would not put anything on it other than Bilsteins. As the others have stated, I believe that the shock geometry is the same on all of the XJ8 models so they will all say they fit the XJR.
Thanks for your advice!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by test point
I can only reply to a the last question in your post. Any Jaguar dealer has access to an on-line data base of dealer repairs. All warranty information is available in a condensed report that contains only minimal information like the date, mileage and principal part dealt with.

The issue with non-warranty invoices is that they have personal information of the previous owner(s) and will not be released without permission.

I was very fortunate in that my first car was a Select Edition so I had 100k miles of warranty documentation. The previous owner of the second car called the dealer and authorized release so I got complete copies of all invoices.
Thanks---the title shows the original owner so I could try to get in touch and see if he would allow release of the records---Thanks again.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I could be wrong on this but I do not believe the basic suspension layout is any different - so it may be a situation as you state where shocks from the different model configurations will all fit. Although the XJR is listed as being lower to the ground than the others -- this could be bushing/ tires differences?

My 02 XJR has the the "CATS" suspension. I would need the "computer controlled" replacements. I thought that was an option in 01?

The fronts on yours may be original - My x300 Jaguar VDP did not need shocks at 90k. Although, the Jaguar rear suspension is of a different design and it does move (bob) more than most - leading to the belief that the shocks are bad.

The shocks play such an important part in the ride and handling of a Jaguar that I would make sure whatever is used is OE -- in order to maintain the dynamics of the car. And if I was as going to keep the car for any amount of time I would replace all four.

Maybe someone will chime in with an actual experience using some secondary shock -- but my time with Mercedes/ BMW tells me that the designers picked the particular shock for a reason.
Thanks---I have used Bilsteins on my BMW's and they work well (OEM for them are Boge) Thanks for the help[!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by malles2001xjr
Thanks all for your help!--Sean B When I push the rear end down it bobs a bit before stopping----the fronts feel quite firmer and stop right away--no re-bound. No CATS as just the front shock rods and nuts show with no wires or dome covers. So if the lower bushings were worn would that account for the bobbing? Than actual damping effect feels much softer in the rear as well---but perhaps the fronts are stiffer due to greater weight? Also when driving the back end feels a bit "bouncy" compared to the front. But a worn bushing would do that I would guess?
Good, I based the car on being equipped with CATS - the bushes would complain if worn, remember to keep them when ordering new shocks, I don't think they're supplied.

it sounds like the bob test may point toward it but comparison and assessment from an expert can confirm it straight away, before you shell out for new shock to find no noticeable difference...
I use BMW's as daily drivers, I'm on a 07 touring, BM's are always firmer (a lot) than a Jaguar, but no where near as refined. I mean, you can take a corner at a speed that makes you double take the speedo, when the BMW feels like every mph.