XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear suspension noise VDP

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear suspension noise VDP

My 2002 VDP had developed a rear suspension noise. I had a similar noise in the front last year, which I fixed with some $10 sway bar bushings, so i hoped that this was now the noise in the rear. I soon discovered that there ARE NO rear sway bars on this model. The noise is like loose lumber rolling around in the rear, worse at low speeds, clunking on every small bump in the road. After researching this site, I bought upper & lower shock bushings from Engel Imports in Kalamazoo. (800-253-4080) Great folks. Spherical Joint is $38, and Isolator is $12 each. Attempted to due this job myself. Since I live in the rust belt, an impact with 650 ft pounds would not loosen the lower shock bolts, nor would a 4 foot cheater bar with my 200 pounds hanging from it. I threw in the towel and took it to the shop. They had to cut the bolts out and order new ones, lower the whole rear axle, do a rear alignment, etc. The bolts actually rust on the inside of the control arm, and become bigger than the hole. Cost about $400 labor. The mechanic agreed with me and many on this site that the Bilstein shocks last forever, so don't replace them if they are not leaking oil.
Anyway, the noise is gone, the car is as quiet as ever. I wanted to post this since nobody seemed to address the rust issue when talking about the shock bushings. I hope this helps somebody!

The following users liked this post:
jimlombardi (05-16-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have thought about pulling the shocks to check them, but maybe not after reading this.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I am happy for you , thanks for taking time submitting this thread
Happy safe driving
Back to the bushing if you can find a polyurethane ,you should go for it because they long laster than that of rubber ones

Old 05-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by twoblackjags
My 2002 VDP had developed a rear suspension noise. I had a similar noise in the front last year, which I fixed with some $10 sway bar bushings, so i hoped that this was now the noise in the rear. I soon discovered that there ARE NO rear sway bars on this model. The noise is like loose lumber rolling around in the rear, worse at low speeds, clunking on every small bump in the road. After researching this site, I bought upper & lower shock bushings from Engel Imports in Kalamazoo. (800-253-4080) Great folks. Spherical Joint is $38, and Isolator is $12 each. Attempted to due this job myself. Since I live in the rust belt, an impact with 650 ft pounds would not loosen the lower shock bolts, nor would a 4 foot cheater bar with my 200 pounds hanging from it. I threw in the towel and took it to the shop. They had to cut the bolts out and order new ones, lower the whole rear axle, do a rear alignment, etc. The bolts actually rust on the inside of the control arm, and become bigger than the hole. Cost about $400 labor. The mechanic agreed with me and many on this site that the Bilstein shocks last forever, so don't replace them if they are not leaking oil.
Anyway, the noise is gone, the car is as quiet as ever. I wanted to post this since nobody seemed to address the rust issue when talking about the shock bushings. I hope this helps somebody!

Hey twoblackjags... happy to see your post... and that you solved the problem.

I was going to ask about this same issue. I have an 01 VDP and I too am hearing a clunking sound coming from the rear... clunk... clunk... clunk. Sounds like something loose in the trunk, right? A dull thud-like sound.

I actually bought new rear shocks that came with bushings. Did you install anything other than new shock bushings to solve the problem?

I also bought new FRONT shocks that did NOT come with bushings. Do you (or anyone else reading this) happen to know what's required for the fronts?

Thanks a lot!

SirJag

Last edited by SirJag; 05-17-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Default Dear Sirjag

To answer your question, the upper & lower rear bushings fixed the noise in the rear, and the front sway bar bushings fixed the noise in the front. It is perfectly quiet now. Much cheaper to buy bushings than shocks. I hope you at least bought OEM Bilstein shocks so as not to affect the perfected ride quality.
Best wishes!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have this same noise in my vdp and couldn't figure out what it was.

I assume its same problem, I have a 2003.

Thanks for sharing.

I need rear upper and lower shock bushings?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:27 AM
Default Ant17,

Glad that this post might help you. The lower bushing is called a spherical bearing. It is metal. The upper are called isolators, and they are more like a doughnut of foam rubber. Either can cause the noise, and since you have to go to so much trouble to remove the lower bushings, you may as well do the upper isolators too. Four nuts hold a plate in place above the coil spring, and this is where the isolator is located.

Hope this helps, and that you have quiet times ahead!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 AM

Glad that this post might help you. The lower bushing is called a spherical bearing. It is metal. The upper are called isolators, and they are more like a doughnut of foam rubber. Either can cause the noise, and since you have to go to so much trouble to remove the lower bushings, you may as well do the upper isolators too. Four nuts hold a plate in place above the coil spring, and this is where the isolator is located.

Thanks,

Where can I find the correct part for my XJ8 VDP, its a 2003?

thx

Old 05-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts
Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 AM

I had new front shocks installed, but skipped the isolators... if it's what I believe you're talking about, those are about $300 each, at least from one source. I'm awaiting a quote for all the bushings and will do them as soon as I get them. The new front shocks haven't made a change in that knocking sound -- nor have the new tie-rod ends -- so it's no doubt the upper/lower control arm bushings and/or ball joints... like you mentioned.

SirJag

Old 05-22-2011, 05:52 AM

Agree with you, TwoBlackJags! My mechanic (who works at my home) tried to replace my rear shocks. (He already did the front.) But he was stymied! My car was originally from TX (I live in CA). The rear shock bolts are SO frozen that neither his breaker bar nor impact wrench would do much. He got a little movement with the impact wrench but not enough to take them out. I think I'll have to go the same route as you.

Now, this mechanic--with many years of exp -- brings his compressor and impact wrench to my house. Do anyone know if a commercial shop is likely to have a more powerful impact wrench... or are they all pretty much the same? He told me that he COULD do the job but, like you said, he'd have to remove the differential, etc etc etc as a workaround. Argh.

Anyone know about the impact wrench question, above? Maybe a shop compressor/wrench is more powerful?

SirJag

Old 05-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Do you think these would be the same parts for my 2003?

Should I order bolts too?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on your 02, twoblackjags? Mine may be a similar situation. Only have 73K on the clock, and it seems a little early for them to fail. Maybe time is their biggest enemy.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Default $393 Is Cost for ALL front suspension bushing parts '01 VDP

Gentlemen:

I'm replacing all the suspension bushings in my 01 VDP. I've already done the tie rod ends and shocks. I just got a quote from PartsGeek for ALL the bushings. Here it is:

Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar Vanden Plas

Control Arm Bushing
Front Lower
Front Control Arm - Front & Rear Position - 2 Req per Control Arm
APA/URO Parts W0133-1628899 $16.94 $67.76

Control Arm Bushing
Front Upper
APA/URO Parts W0133-1632194 $8.94 $35.76

Subframe Bushing
Front
OES Genuine W0133-1618960 $41.94 $83.88

Ball Joint
Upper
OE Aftermarket W0133-1623199 $45.94 $91.88

Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar Vanden Plas

Ball Joint
Lower
Lemfoerder W0133-1896569 $56.94 $113.88

Subtotal: $393.16
Total: $393.16

I haven't compared prices yet, however I hope this info is helpful to someone.

SirJag

Old 05-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Default Dear Earsti,

My VDP has only 81K miles, so for me that was when the noise developed.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SirJag

Control Arm Bushing
Front Lower

Just out of interest - how are you going to compress the spring to replace the lower control arm. Have you built your own compressor or do you know of a good aftermarket compressor

Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Don't forget the sway bar bushings (anti-roll bar) in the front. They are relatively easy to do and don't cost an arm and a leg. You can buy the whole drop link with the bushings for $40 each.

The following users liked this post:
SirJag (05-25-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM

just ordered everything for the rear from Engle, really nice folks, including the bolts/washers for the shocks.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:51 AM
Default RE: Sway bar bushings (anti-roll bar)

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Don't forget the sway bar bushings (anti-roll bar) in the front. They are relatively easy to do and don't cost an arm and a leg. You can buy the whole drop link with the bushings for $40 each.
Hey Jimmy...

Thanks for the tip!

Please see image attached.

Which of these parts (by number, please) are you referring to? Where did you buy it?

Thank you,

SirJag

Attached Thumbnails Rear suspension noise VDP-antirollbar.jpg  

Last edited by SirJag; 05-25-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dounraey
SirJag

Control Arm Bushing
Front Lower

Just out of interest - how are you going to compress the spring to replace the lower control arm. Have you built your own compressor or do you know of a good aftermarket compressor
Actually my mechanic will be doing all the work. My part of the deal is to give him these green things from my wallet. It's amazing what people will do for these dirty green strips of paper.

SirJag

Quick Reply: Rear suspension noise VDP