XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear suspension noise VDP

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there some picks in jtis of the rear shocks/bushings/isolaters?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

It's number 5 in the photo. I got mine at Motorcars.com - no affiliation - there may be sponsors on here who sell them.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread. I have developed a noise from the rear, 01' XJ8L when I go over bumps. More of a squeak than anything. It isn't noticable with the radio turned on, but irritating to know it is still making the noise. I just replaced the front strut bars and other items for about $1,400 (independent shop in Sacramento, CA). Hope this is a cheaper fix.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM

Update:

Had the mechanic replace upper and lower isolators, bushings washers and bolts.

Still lots of noise. Didn't do anything with the front.

Whats the front sway bar?? Is it in jtis?

Last edited by ant17; 06-19-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front sway bar bushings

Ant,

Can you tell if the noise is coming from the front or the rear? The front sway bar bushings are very easy to do yourself. A dealer will have them in stock, and less than $10 each. One bolt holds a clamping bracket to retain the bushing, and clamp it to the frame. Make sure the car is level; either jack up both sides, or run it up on ramps like i did. The bar is about one inch in diameter, and runs from the left front control arm to the right control arm. It is foward of the engine, so it is nearer to the radiator.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:30 PM

Hard to tell, it seems like its the back.

Does JTIS have some pics of the front suspension?

Any other possibility noise is coming from the front?

Are the sway bar bushing this-->Stabilizer Bar Bushing

What else can I check?

tia

Last edited by ant17; 06-16-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep.

Sway bars, stabilizer bars and anti-roll bars are all the same thing. They are used to minimize lean when the car goes into a turn.

They are sorta shaped like a lazy U.

There is an end link at each end (at the top of the U) and a bushing inboard on each side (on the bottom of the U-where it is straight/flat).

I hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Just verified with the tech on the isolator replacement.
He tells me that the ones he removed looked good.

Had the RR wheel bearings replaced.

Still have the lumber noise in back (it seems).

Shocks are not leaking.

Not sure what else to try except the front.

ap

Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default xj8 vdp rear suspension noise

i have owned jags from the 60's i had 3x 3.4 mk 2 and an e type later a few xj6's and so on at present an xj8 .car makes noises in the rear suspension as if a guy with a hammer is in the trunk.
One thing i have learned is that in order to maintain these cars you have to be either rich or inventive and creative. Labor rates are over $70/hours here in florida and dealers quote incredible prices.
After some research and finding the astronomical prices for jaguar/ bilstein shocks or seeing the efforts of folks trying to replace lower shock bushings . I decided to install sensen shocks from APX .Yes $ 56 a pair from china. life long warranty.
Last week i installed the shocks (they come with new lower bushings) and upper/lower rubber and washers. The resistance rate is softer then the bllsteins but it provides a more pleasant ride. The problem had been that the invisible upper rubber had completely disintegrated. so problem solved!

Now i used the the lower washers and the metal bushings from the old rear shocks to created a shock isolator for the front shocks .The front shock mount plate that goes for $70-$300 depending where u shop is essentially a plate with a hole in it . Take it off Drill out the existing bushing and it will fall out. By using the lower washer from the rear shock and the top bushing (and possibly the lower rear rubber) on the bottom of the plate, And on top a new motor mount (napa602-1045) that can be sliced to size ( It fits the top rim perfectly) and purchased for something like $6 you can effectively create the front isolator. (drill out the top rubber somewhat to fit the bushing coming up from the bottom)
works great total cost $6 unless your decide to ad new sensen front shocks dirt cheap and working great.

Now when changing the rear shocks the jaguar work manual recommends using spring compressors to remove the shocks and springs...Dont!! its a pain.
There is a thread on here well documented by 2004 jaguar@black onyx.net
It is the way to go. It requires removing 22 bolts dropping the supportplate but its worth it is a piece of cake the springs drop practically right out follow the thread and u will be happy. At 67 years old using my lift and with my 77 year old helper and air impact tools it took us 3 hours with a break or 2 lol.

one wonders about jaquar design they have been in business from before i was born and make great driving cars even brilliant . However consistantly the maintenance is an after thought .In england there has always been somewhat of an acceptance as to the need to repair . In todays market this seemingly unchanging concept has made most jaguars worth as much a junk bonds or their scrapvalue( $4-500,) i know several repairable cars sitting for under $1000. In stark contrast at the local auction here in ocala florida people practically fistfight over crown vics with 200 k miles on them lol. To get a hold of the ones not being exported.
And things are not changing the consumer complaint lists on S type , X types and so on are full .
good luck everyone i hope this was of assistance

The following 2 users liked this post by jakes jags:
ant17 (07-05-2016), DimitrisBXL (07-10-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jakes jags
i have owned jags from the 60's i had 3x 3.4 mk 2 and an e type later a few xj6's and so on at present an xj8 .car makes noises in the rear suspension as if a guy with a hammer is in the trunk.
One thing i have learned is that in order to maintain these cars you have to be either rich or inventive and creative. Labor rates are over $70/hours here in florida and dealers quote incredible prices.
After some research and finding the astronomical prices for jaguar/ bilstein shocks or seeing the efforts of folks trying to replace lower shock bushings . I decided to install sensen shocks from APX .Yes $ 56 a pair from china. life long warranty.
Last week i installed the shocks (they come with new lower bushings) and upper/lower rubber and washers. The resistance rate is softer then the bllsteins but it provides a more pleasant ride. The problem had been that the invisible upper rubber had completely disintegrated. so problem solved!

Now i used the the lower washers and the metal bushings from the old rear shocks to created a shock isolator for the front shocks .The front shock mount plate that goes for $70-$300 depending where u shop is essentially a plate with a hole in it . Take it off Drill out the existing bushing and it will fall out. By using the lower washer from the rear shock and the top bushing (and possibly the lower rear rubber) on the bottom of the plate, And on top a new motor mount (napa602-1045) that can be sliced to size ( It fits the top rim perfectly) and purchased for something like $6 you can effectively create the front isolator. (drill out the top rubber somewhat to fit the bushing coming up from the bottom)
works great total cost $6 unless your decide to ad new sensen front shocks dirt cheap and working great.

Now when changing the rear shocks the jaguar work manual recommends using spring compressors to remove the shocks and springs...Dont!! its a pain.
There is a thread on here well documented by 2004 jaguar@black onyx.net
It is the way to go. It requires removing 22 bolts dropping the supportplate but its worth it is a piece of cake the springs drop practically right out follow the thread and u will be happy. At 67 years old using my lift and with my 77 year old helper and air impact tools it took us 3 hours with a break or 2 lol.

one wonders about jaquar design they have been in business from before i was born and make great driving cars even brilliant . However consistantly the maintenance is an after thought .In england there has always been somewhat of an acceptance as to the need to repair . In todays market this seemingly unchanging concept has made most jaguars worth as much a junk bonds or their scrapvalue( $4-500,) i know several repairable cars sitting for under $1000. In stark contrast at the local auction here in ocala florida people practically fistfight over crown vics with 200 k miles on them lol. To get a hold of the ones not being exported.
And things are not changing the consumer complaint lists on S type , X types and so on are full .
good luck everyone i hope this was of assistance
Thanks, sounds like a plan. $70.00 is a bargain for labor here. Hope they have the shock for my 2003 vdp xj8. I also see my isolator bushing for front shocks when I lift the hood. If I unscrew that bolt is something going to spring out, seems too easy to just remove that bolt, plate and change the rubber washer.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no no problem undo the top shock nut and remove the upper washer . now undo the bolts holding the plate . the plate will then gently rise under the upwards pressure from the shock if this is still in serviceable condition. No need to raise the car. installation is the reverse gently push the plate down and insert a few bolts. if the shock does not rise/resist its most likely in need of replacement. p.s on the driver side you should remove the power steering reservoir . unbolt it and push it over to the side.