XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear suspension sway bar linkage question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension sway bar linkage question.

I have a 2004 XJ8 and I replaced all the bushings and links in the right rear today.
It was not too difficult but one part is concerning me.
The car only has 45,000 mi , so I don't think the linkage has ever been worked on.
My aftermarket sway bar link is clearly labeled right, but the aftermarket left labeled linkage orientation is oriented as was the part which I took off the car.
Frankly, the aftermarket part looks oriented correctly, and the what must be a factory part, which just came off the car, incorrectly. Just by common sens I think the aftermarket part looks as if it is labeled correctly.
I hope that makes sense.
Can someone shed some light? I could order a Jaguar OEM right linkage to match up to my aftermarket, but that seems a waste of time and money.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:24 PM

The old part I showed in the picture is the part which came off the right rear. The orientation is clearly different than the new part labeled "R."
But the new part labeled "L" had the same orientation as the old part I took off from the right rear.
Looking at the sway bar, the new part labeled "R' just look like it should butt up against the rear sway bar in a more correct manner.
I just have to wonder if the factory was confused that day, but you would think they knew what they were doing(?)

Old 02-19-2022, 01:36 PM

BTW, my air suspension diagnosis and replacement was no big deal. Tight spaces but not horrible.
There are Youtube videos on it. I had a bad front left air shock, and although not necessarily the easiest to get in and out, not really that unworkable. When I replaced the air pump with an Amazon supplied pump, I still had a fault. But when the front left air shock was replaced next, everything worked again. I also replaced the relay and fuse as I worked through things, but ultimately I think it was the front left shock.
The shops advocated the non air suspension shocks, but doing it yourself, if you can, is a reasonable approach. My parts have totaled roughly $1400. Two new front air shocks, a free Amazon pump, as it took them 3 times to send an approximate part and on the third attempt they said don't send it back. The Amazon part sent on the third try lacked the air filter which I transferred over from the old pump. They said keep it. The bushings and links are now all renewed. If the rear air shocks fail, they look much easier in the rear than than the front.
Do not fear this job if you are a home mechanic like myself.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,138 Likes on 869 Posts

A few things here.

1) Go introduce yourself in the “New Member” area as a moderator will instruct you to do so as it’s mandatory.

2) This is the X308 (97’-03’) XJ8/XJR section. You need the X350 (04’+) section.

3) I know what you mean about the orientation of the rear sway bar end links. I would maybe disregard the L/R stamp orientation and go with the shape of the arms first. You can always swap it if it doesn’t fit right.

4) Don’t go crazy replacing suspension parts just because the dust boots are crumbling. As long as the components are moving freely, not making noise and aren’t rusty, I’d leave them alone.

5) The best thing you can do for that car is remove that engine cover with the 4 screws and put it on a shelf and after you get done driving it, pop the hood to let all that heat out so the plastic coolant components don’t get cooked.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:08 PM

OK, thanks. The orientation tells me to go with the way the aftermarket parts are labeled. I am halfway home, have all the parts, and while I have my tools out, everything fresh in my brain, going to replace the crumbling parts.
I too dislike those plastic covers. The manufacturer is messaging you, "the work is for us only, go away home mechanic."
That is not how I was brought up by my Dad, and the dealer quote of $12,000 was a big turnoff.
Why did Jag call it a XJ8 instead of a X350, LOL.
Thanks, Wes

Old 02-19-2022, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,138 Likes on 869 Posts

As far as I know, the X350, X308, etc, etc is a manufacturer platform identification code and not technically named that to the public. Someone more knowledgeable than me might chime in if I’m wrong or not concerning the platform code information. Depending on your options, you may have an XJ, XJR, or Vanden Plas.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:31 PM

4) Don’t go crazy replacing suspension parts just because the dust boots are crumbling. As long as the components are moving freely, not making noise and aren’t rusty, I’d leave them alone.

Sorry, can't leave them alone. But they did make it 2200 mi before I inspected them and they went into the garbage can. All renewed now, front and rear. There was a clunk I heard before changing them out.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:36 PM

The car only has 46k so I was a bit surprised at the rot and air pump/front left shock. I am educated now. The front went down and also replaced the air pump and front air shocks. Really not a big deal. Simple mechanical stuff with pretty good access. Not easy peezy, and there was some language, but was not too difficult.
The repairs all started with a loss of an air shock. I will stay in the x350 section now, LOL.

Last edited by gasser; 02-23-2022 at 08:39 PM.